Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modern Baseball Announce Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Modern Baseball have announced a headlining tour. Kevin Devine, Sorority Noise, and The Obsessives will be opening. Dates can be found below.

[​IMG]

03/17 – Huntington, NY – Paramount Theater
    03/18 – Brooklyn, NY – Warsaw
    03/19 – Brooklyn, NY – Warsaw
    03/21 – Washington DC – 9:30 Club
    03/22 – Wilmington, DE – World Cafe Live
    03/24 – Norfolk, VA – The Norva
    03/25 – Asheville, NC – The Orange Peel
    03/26 – Charleston, SC – Music Farm
    03/28 – Jacksonville, FL – Mavericks
    03/29 – St. Pete, FL – State Theater
    03/31 – Birmingham, AL – Saturn
    04/01 – Nashville, TN – Marathon Music Works
    04/03 – Houston, TX – White Oak Music Hall
    04/04 – Austin, TX – Emos
    04/05 – Dallas, TX – Gas Monkey Live
    04/07 – Scottsdale, AZ – Livewire
    04/08 – Pomona, CA – The Glasshouse
    04/09 – Los Angeles, CA – The Fonda
    04/10 – Berkley, CA – Berkley Theater
    04/11 – Sacramento, CA – Ace of Spades
    04/13 – Denver, CO – Summit Theater
    04/14- Omaha, NE – Waiting Room
    04/15 – Des Moines, IA – Wooly’s
    04/17 – Grand Rapids, MI – 20 Monroe Live
    04/18 – Chicago, IL – Concord Music Hall
    04/19 – Indianapolis, IN – Egyptian Room
    04/20 – Columbus, OH – Park Street
    04/21 – Buffalo, NY – Town Ballroom
    04/22 – Sayreville, NJ – Starland Ballroom

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It's gotten to the point where I just expect 2017 tours to skip the northwest at this point.

3. Chuck!

Regular

surprised by the lack of a Philly date, but I'm sure mobo will do something before or after the tour

4. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Nothing in MOKS, boooo

5. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

No disrespect meant to MoBo, but I hate living in a world where KDev has to open for anybody.

Aaron Mook, mercury and dylan like this.
  6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I think it's amazing for the band and amazing by Kevin. He doesn't have to do this for these dudes, but that's the first thing I noticed about this tour. It made me say 'wow! Good for Modern Baseball.'

It's a classy, gracious move by a great guy to help a young band. I love it.

ECV and zzarrillo like this.
  7. Bren's twitter account is worth a follow for important discussion

cwhit likes this.
  8. I love the band and the people in it and I will be going to the show in Indy but we all need to hold these bands accountable that actions speak louder than words

Contender likes this.
  9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Super curious as to what's up here. Did Brendan just get outvoted by the rest of the band? Is management making these decisions? Did they set the bill and he just regret it, but it can't change due to contracts, etc.? Can they not just work to add another band?

I know zero about booking artists/planning tours, so I just have a lot of questions here. It seems weird for a (co)frontman of a headlining band to be complaining about a lack of representation on his own tour. Why can't he just say 'we're gonna do it differently'?

AshlandATeam likes this.

AshlandATeam and Contender like this.
  12. aniafc

Trusted

So is he doing this all for style points since he even admittedly they chose the lineup?

Not sure what the play is here.

aniafc likes this.
  14. I don't know either

aniafc likes this.
  15. aniafc

Trusted

Yep, this is what my last post meant. Really love this band and the things that they've done so far as people, but this is just a disaster.

I think this could have, largely, been avoided if he just didn't make the original tweet. Like, he knew this tour was getting announced, why draw attention to it?

16. Read the whole thread

aniafc likes this.
  17. aniafc

Trusted

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

these bands are all on the same booking company: mobo probably signed off on it but i doubt they entirely got the tour together

but yes, very very happy for brenden to make these statements

19. zachmacD

Trusted

So wait, all tours have to have bands with women in them now or they're being discriminatory? I'm pretty far removed from this scene but I'm not aware of that many bands that have women in them so I feel like that would be a hard thing to accomplish.

20. cwhit

there are plenty of bands with women in it, if you can't find bands with women in it to take out then you aren't trying hard enough
    putting representation on stage is more important than just bringing heads, your first opener won't make a significant enough difference to the crowd to justify not doing this

21. zachmacD Jan 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 5, 2017)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Interesting. Do you think a lot of bands/promoters share this view? I'm just generously curious. I imagine a majority of bands just want their tour to do well and will bring out other bands that are popular. This is probably not a popular view on this website but after going to hundreds of shows in my lifetime, I really only go to shows if I like the headliner and most of the time skip the openers but maybe this is something that occurs more as you get older. I personally wouldn't boycott a show because of the lack of minorities. What're your thoughts?

22. cwhit

a lot, no, absolutely not. if a lot did it wouldn't be an issue, haha. that's the good thing about brendan's comments, it's good to bring this issue to a bigger platform and make more people understand that it is an issue. i booked shows for a while, and many of the shows i did were all dudes. i justified that by saying that there were other shows i did that had mostly women, or mostly members of the lgbtq+ community, but i've learned in the last year that that doesn't excuse it, and i'm now trying much harder to make sure there is equal representation.

i'm enough into music that most tours i go to i already really like the openers, if not more than the headliners, haha. though i've started for shows i don't care for the openers skipping them, things are exhausting these days. i wouldn't boycott a tour for being all men, but i do think it's important to be aware of it and have discussions about having accountability if that does happen. for example, the new menzingers tour. i've called it the best tour of the year based on music, but i've definitely made sure to clarify that it still is problematic even if the music is great. i think the discussion is important because awareness of the problem and understanding that it is in fact a problem (see a lot of the mentions at brendan's tweets by predominately white men who don't realize it is a problem) is the biggest step to finally fixing this

zachmacD likes this.
  23. zachmacD

Trusted

Awesome man. I appreciate the info and the civil conversation!

24. cwhit

oh absolutely: the first step to improving things is discussion, i know i needed it before really "getting" it. at the very least (not to say that it's bringing "positive results") more people (especially hopefully some of the band's predominately white male teenage fanbase) are at least learning about why this is important

25. Seriously. It's good for my wallet but I'm still pissed about it.

TJ Wells likes this.