Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 95

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

He doesn't need to do what he just did to Volkan - he's got a much wider skill set and better cardio than most of the HW division. The guy is 13-0 at Heavyweight with dominant wins over Mir, Barnett, Big Country, Bigfoot... I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think he could fight competively with Stipe given his resume and wrestling ability. People just sleep on D.C. for some reason but the guys credentials speak for themselves.

And Jones called out Brock last time he fought so he definitely had Heavyweight plans (that could be thrown out the window at this point though).

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

DC does have a lot of good wins, but I think Stipe is a calculated Heavyweight like no other. I think he would keep the distance just like Jones did with DC, and then tactically pick him apart. DC doesn't have the power to knock out Stipe, and I don't believe he'd be able to get Stipe on the ground like he likes to when he wins via ground and pound. Many of his biggest fights were won that way and that's what bores me. Yes he gets the win, but he's super boring to watch and i'm not impressed when a guy's main MMA style is to tackle, lay, and punch.

Edit: I also just don't like the way DC acts really. Every other sentence seems to be cringe-worthy and he's so over dramatic sometimes.

3. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Also, question, does anyone really care to see Brock fight again? He was the first hype train derailed like Rousey, Ngannou, Van Zant, etc etc. The man’s record sucks, and he’s a big user.

4. Analog Drummer

Regular

How about Whittaker. They finally revealed his illness. Some horrific gut staph just wrecking his insides. Sounds nasty

5. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

So annoyed with the amount of hate Ngannou has gotten on forums and social media. Same people who said he was going to crush Stipe are now calling him a joke. Is it that hard to just say he's talented and hits super fucking hard but is just really green? People are so quick to jump on bandwagons of support AND hate. Let's see where he goes from here.

carrytheweird and scottlechowicz like this.
  6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Aside from this website there aren’t many places I look to discuss MMA online because A) people half the time don’t seem to have real opinions or understand the sport (much like the idiots you described) and B) MMA has too many ignorant tough guy fans who use “pussy” and “***got” every other sentence that give the entire sport a bad rep.

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Was completely wrong on everything except Rory haha.

I guess, if healthy, feed Cain to Stipe. Think Stipe wrecks him pretty easily, but they can't wait and it'll take a while to rebuild Francis. DC should wait for Gus, fight him back half of 2018 and retire.

8. angrycandy Jan 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

it's upsetting to see just how much Dana didn't want Stipe to win

9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah, I agree. For some reason, it's frowned upon to have an objective (or at least non-negative) view about things in this sport. You can't have an actual non-biased breakdown of a fight. One person is always a "joke" or overrated lol

It was sad but oh so satisfying to see Dana looking away from Francis getting beaten down right in front of him. Stipe snatching the belt from him was the cherry on top. haha.

angrycandy likes this.
  10. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Yeah like seeing anyone complain about how Stipe won is laughable. Clearly no real grasp on how much energy it takes to grapple with someone who has 25-35lbs on you, while avoiding heavy swings in between every clinch. When Stipe did exchange with him, his head movement was perfect and was landing 2-3 hit combos. I couldn't have expected a better strategy and would love to see any other current heavyweight do that.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  11. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That's why I initially kept my hype for Ngannou somewhat contained after the Reem knockout. Obviously it was impressive, but Alistair has been caught a dozen times now. He also fought a stupid fight which I did not think Stipe would get caught doing.

But instead of praising Stipe, people would rather just say Ngannou is bad. Drives me crazy.

Analog Drummer and carrytheweird like this.
  12. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Yeah, likewise. I even saw many complain about Holm and Cyborg in the same sense. Some saying it was a snoozefest, some saying Cyborg wasn't impressive and was over-hyped. Like uh, no. Take a look at both women's records. They've fought a lot of the best. They went into the fight both being careful because they're both dangerous strikers. But because no one hit the mat, you think they're bad fighters? Ridiculous.

13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Looks like my prophecy is starting to come true... DC vs. Stipe set for UFC 226.

Edit: And as Ariel Helwani pointed out. There's a possibility that the same card could feature DJ vs. TJ and Cyborg vs. Nunes... Three champ vs. champ fights. I'm digging the UFC in 2018.

14. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

holy fuck

thank you mma gods

15. May as well throw Bones v Lesnar on there

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Knowing the UFC, they'll try to give Conor two title shots in the same night.

Analog Drummer and carrytheweird like this.
  17. That card is obviously dreamy but it’s going to cause so much confusion in multiple weight classes. And putting 3 mega fights on the same card likely ensures the PPVs following will be weak.

18. I’m all for it though haha

19. The card in Charlotte tomorrow is kinda whatever but Brunson v Jacare is going to be fun.

20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Oh, I know. I just mean it's fun to think about but I don't really see it materializing that way. Too many stakes and also like you said, you have to save some fun for the other cards.

I am usually against people jumping around and holding up divisions but really, Stipe and DC are pretty much out of people to fight (Cain and Gus, respectively, but who knows about those...). Same with Mighty Mouse. Cyborg has never really had anyone to fight to begin with. haha. I just don't know what else you do with those guys, you know?

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Haha I like to poke at him whenever I can. I like the guy but he annoys me at the same time.

23. carrytheweird Jan 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2018)
    carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Is Stipe’s title on the line for this? There’s the possibility of DC being the next to hold two titles?

Beyond that, I think it’s best for Cain to fight someone else before he gets a title shot. But we’ve seen undeserving contenders get theirs if it’s a fight people will pay for. When he comes back, maybe have him fight Ngannou? I think that’s a crazy fight to consider. If Cain wins he fights Stipe next, or maybe if he loses and Francis has trained better we could see Stipe v Ngannou 2 some time next year.

Who knows. That was kind of a hot take. DC still doesn’t impress me much but he did stuff Volkan bad. I respect him more for being a bit less cocky and relaxed this time around. I’d imagine this being a good fight.

24. I don’t think Cain is anywhere close to being ready to fight. Stipe has very little options. He’s beaten his competition. Same for DC. The only guy deserving at LHW is Gus and apparently he’s battling concussion issues.

25. These are the worst judges I’ve ever seen.

One judge gave it to Bermudez 30-27 and he still lost in the split lmao how does that work?