Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 62

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Call was fine with me. Nothing beats Kongo's recovery KO.

2. Mrk_Brdshw Mar 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2017)
    Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I've just learned to trust the ref (unless it was a clear late stoppage).

Perfect example from this same ref... At an amateur card a couple of years ago, the main event was a really competitive title fight. In the forth round, one guy got slammed which didn't actually look very bad at all at the time. It looked like he threw his arms out to grab a leg once he hit the ground, but the ref stopped the fight. The "losing" fighter lifted his head up and protested (he looked completely fine) so the crowd booed like crazy. The ref was very resistant, but he reluctantly let the fight go on for another round. I asked him after the fight and he said, "Man, I saw his eyes roll back. He was out from hitting the ground. I shouldn't have let it go on".

Fast forward a month, the fighter that got slammed had an article published stating he had gone to the doctor for severe neck pain. He detailed the events of the fight which were mostly wrong (He couldn't remember from getting knocked unconscious from the slam.) Turns out he tore all but one ligament in his neck, had to have two rods put in to hold his head up, and was basically one wrong move from dying.

So long story short, trust the ref. Not the concussed fighters or the idiots in the crowd booing.

Schooner likes this.

3. That didn't take long

4. The Legend Killer

5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I admire Anderson for taking the fight, but he is going to get stopped and probably in a very violent way. Can't see this going past the first round.

6. RonandTammy

Regular

I can't see the Twitter post because I'm at work, but are you talking about Romero/Anderson?

Also, are there any fans of the Big Brown Break Down or Fighter and The Kid in here? If so, I HIGHLY suggest www.reddit.com/r/thefighterandthekid for some real quality discussion.

7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

It's Anderson vs. Gastelum. He called Anderson out and got the fight signed within like 2 days. haha.

Sidenote - I am PUMPED that Big Country got added to the Kansas City event. I thought the whole card was probably already in place, but they added another big one to my surprise.

8. RonandTammy

Regular

Wow Gastelum is fighting Silva? That's awesome.

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Who (besides Gastelum) wanted him and Silva? If Silva wins, there's your title shot, so that's smart on UFC's part.

Big Brown Breakdown is a good listen.

10. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I'm not sure what to think about that one. I think Silva still has some attributes to give Kelvin trouble, but I don't know. He might be in over his head just like Vitor was.

I hate how Anderson loses or scrapes by in all of these fights nowadays. He clearly is declining (and knows it), but it's pretty apparent to me that in his prime, he would have blown through all of these guys. I don't necessarily believe that the sport is evolving past how good he was like some of these fighters; I really just think he's gotten old.

11. RonandTammy

Regular

TRT is a mother fucker.

Schooner likes this.
  12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, Anderson is just old. Outside of heavyweight, this sport, more than others, is unforgiving for older fighters.

13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Anderson will always be the best in my eyes. He was in a league of his own, but age catches up with everyone.

carrytheweight likes this.
  14. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This is why I'm curious to see GSP come back. Theoretically, he isn't at the age that he should be on the decline yet, but you never know. BJ and Chuck didn't fare so well once they started to get older, but then others like Hendo still did ok. He might have lost a little more in his last run, but there are countless guys who would give anything to go out like he did.

15. Larkin to Bellator :teethsmile:

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

scottlechowicz likes this.
  18. Schooner

Trusted

I think IS holding out too. Ain't nothing to prove otherwise

19. RonandTammy

Regular

20. Schooner

Trusted

Yes!! I was always devo that TUF Brazil fight never happened. Few years late, but has my slight interest

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Derrick Lewis and Mark Hunt is far more intriguing to me than Chael/Wand.

22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I guess I'll go with Mo tonight, what a dud of a card though, even by Bellator standards.

23. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Miss the days when it was exciting to see Rampage fight.

24. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Read that he's on a five fight win streak and couldn't believe it.

25. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

He also looks TERRIBLE at 253lbs, the heaviest he's ever fought at.