Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 6

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I don't think it's true.

2. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

Probably just wanting more money

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Although it's very unfortunate, I immediately thought about how his teammate being involved in a fight where someone died could have influenced him to get out while he still had his health. He got in, went straight to the top and made his money. It's not looking like he will be getting another shot at that lightweight belt anytime soon so furthering his legacy in that regard was not panning out. Factor that in with the idea that his next fight was "guaranteed" to be a defense of the 145 belt where he was going to have to make a major weight cut which would be highly unsafe....and it's a little easier to picture.

Still hoping it's just a hoax of some sort, though.

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Don't think it's true either. If it's a bargaining tool he's walking a very fine line.

5. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Lol

Drew Beringer likes this.
  6. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

He's at his peak; I think he has leverage to renegotiate a better deal with Dana

7. Brandon Allin

All of that makes sense for sure, but I struggle to believe that if he beat Nate in impressive fashion at 200 that he wouldn't have the bargaining power to negotiate an immediate LW title shot, whether that would have meant delaying 145 even more or vacating the title. I mean, it sounded like the UFC wanted the 200 rematch at 155 and he insisted on it being at 170. I didn't get the feeling they had the cajones to force a cash cow like that to do anything, but who knows. I would imagine we'll find out shortly.

8. drstrong

I'm Back.

I'm not much of a Conor fan, but it would be amazing if he actually did retire.

9. Brandon Allin

I don't really see how it would be good for the sport in any way.

10. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I think they would definitely give him a shot eventually, but the fact that they made an interim belt for Frankie/Jose makes me believe they wouldn't do it even with a win at 200. Putting that belt on hold for three+ fights is a big risk even if he (or whoever else) didn't get injured. The UFC seems to let him do whatever he wants, but even that seems pretty crazy.

11. Brandon Allin

In a way, that interim belt almost felt like one part a way to satisfy the contenders, and one part "hey, here is our 145 pound champ and here's it being defended while Conor does Conor things." I mean, who really knows, but it was just such a strange situation to begin with that it seems like there's more than meets the eye.

12. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

For what its worth, Ariel Helwani is saying its legit

I could 100% believe the death of the fighter would lead him to do this and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

13. drstrong

I'm Back.

I'll believe it when he formally pulls out of the Diaz fight.

14. Brandon Allin

I will absolutely hold it against him if he retires. You go on and on about you're obsessed with this game, how you want to be the best that ever lived, you sign a contract to fight, you hype it up, and then you just say fuck it, I'm done? No thanks.

I don't buy the death thing as the reason either. Three days ago he posted a picture with the caption "as hungry as day one."

15. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I agree, and I guess it makes sense to use all that leverage while you can. If he loses to Diaz (definitely a possibility) it will for sure hurt his bargaining stance, at least in Dana and Lorenzo's eyes. I don't know, the whole thing is wildly interesting and confusing.

16. Brandon Allin

Conor officially pulled from UFC 200.

"Refusing to fly to Vegas for promotional duties."

18. his entrance music should be cult of personality

19. chavril

GSP new main event?

20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Wowzers. Wonder if he is just too big for his own good now. That's a crazy turn of events.

21. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

This is all so bizarre...

22. Brandon Allin

Reeks of a contract dispute.

23. or maybe he changed his mind about fighting when he saw Carvalho die the other week

24. That's what I've been reading.

25. Brandon Allin

There's no way that's true. He was training yesterday, and like I said, 3 days ago he posted a picture with the caption "as hungry as day one."

The rumors of tension between him and the UFC (from extremely reputable sources inside the sport) have been circulating since well before the Diaz fight.