Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 474

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Love to see Hardy knocked TF out like that.

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

always happy when Aldo wins

3. seems every bantamweight wants Dillashaw lol

I think he’ll be right back in the title picture after his first fight

4. -deleted-

-

Wonderboy is literally, quite possibly the best striker I’ve ever watched. World class.

5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

master class is right

6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

What a great card to close out the year. Hardy stopped by strikes and Pettis, Aldo, and Wonderboy turning back some great contenders. Feels good man.

7. eagles1139 Dec 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2020)
    eagles1139

Regular

It’s incredible watching Wonderboy do his thing. He may have gotten shit for the Woodley 2 and Till fights being boring but when he’s flowing it’s the most enjoyable thing to watch in MMA for me. Still tough as nails too — his leg was compromised in that last round and instead of panicking and evading he bit down and stood his ground. Guy is one of a kind.

Not sure why he’s been so underrated in the media lately too, the leadup to this fight I kept reading about how his title aspirations were behind him and I’m sitting here still thinking he could beat anyone at 170. The age will eventually catch up to him but he’s a few split decisions and a fucking batshit insanely random KO loss away from still being the #1 contender. Hope he gets one more shot.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  8. Wonderboy v Covington would be insane to watch. It’d probably set a record for most combined strikes thrown.

9. there’s no way Colby would risk standing with Wonderboy lol

unless you meant +ground strikes as well

10. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah, Wonderboy was a little green in the grappling department when he first came into the UFC, but ever since, he’s been in top form. He’s never diminished whatsoever.

I said this earlier this year, but I believe Wonderboy is one of those guys that could win the belt on any given night. He’s a tough go for everyone no matter the style.

11. eagles1139

Regular

Absolutely. I’d really love to see him face Usman or Covington and see how Wonderboy’s evasive footwork and counters do against their pressure-heavy wrestling style. They’ve proven to be too much for just about everyone else, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was able to catch either guy with some slick shit.

12. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

lol this video made me laugh so hard. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate Dana and the UFC for pushing forward and finding a way to continue under the circumstances. They were one of the only sources of entertainment I had throughout the summer BUT... this propaganda video is just hilarious.

A lot of the comments from these journalists in the video stemmed from that very first event that was actually canceled by Disney for lack of safety protocols. Whenever they eventually got their shit together, got testing in place and had time to quarantine fighters for a while, then it was a little different. I don't feel like the media was bashing them at all for the real Fight Island or the events at the UFC Apex. Just a manipulated way for Dana to try to spit in the face of his critics.

Also, I love the big call-out that says "Zero jobs lost at UFC" as if they didn't cut a ton of people due to reasons outside of the pandemic.

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

He's so garbage and a large part of why I'm less of an MMA fan this year.

333 GANG likes this.
  14. Mrk_Brdshw Dec 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 22, 2020)
    Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Good thread by Luke Thomas picking apart that video (with receipts) for anyone interested. Pretty much substantiates what I said in my previous comment. All of those criticisms were from the very beginning when the UFC was rushing to put on shows at any cost but stopped once they made sure it was safe.

But anyway... I'm sort of intrigued at this year's End of the Year Awards for MMA. I feel like the same people fought over and over, and then a lot of people were put on the shelf for the most part. There was no clear breakout for a lot of people outside of guys like Holland and Chimaev. Maybe Figueiredo?

Victor Eremita likes this.
  15. -deleted-

-

Dana is a real shitbag. The UFC getting to where it has, has been a double edged sword the entire time. As many gripes as I have with Bellator, I’ve certainly started respecting and watching more MMA promotions than just them. Maybe one day we’ll be lucky enough to see him retire.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

17. -deleted-

-

Was just coming here to post this. New management must be SUPER lowballing these veterans who aren’t currently top ten cause he was just talking about his next run at lightweight. Sad to see him go but no doubt he’ll go to Bellator and flourish with his brother.

18. Some random dude on Reddit of all places posted something a few weeks ago about Pettis heading to Bellator/PFL and that he heard it around the gym.

Funny that it ended up being right.

19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Crazy that he was basically .500 in the UFC. He could make some noise if he goes to Bellator. Some interesting matchups in PFL depending where he fights. I'd watch him against Schulte or Rory in PFL.

20. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Chandler/Hooker to be co main at UFC 257. That’s a good first fight for Chandler and a solid co main for a card that was lackluster outside of the main event.

Analog Drummer and stvvvn like this.
  21. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Also Holloway/Katar is going to be on ABC. That’s big if UFC starts getting on network television again.

Victor Eremita and stvvvn like this.
  22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That's a great fight for network TV as well. Slick striking from both guys for five rounds.

23. Kattar gonna win and get his title shot

24. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

There it is.