Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 460

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Remember how you guys were talking about the awful matchmaking in Bellator? The red corner odds for the main card tonight is +445, -660, -425, and -270...

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  2. Surely there was a better first fight for Anderson than Manhoef.

333 GANG likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I don't know, I just don't see the big deal with giving Anderson a tune up. Gets his feet wet and some momentum to build on. If he doesn't get a real contender next it'll be suspect.

4. 333 GANG

ACAB

There’s a strong case to be made Manhoef should not be fighting anymore. A tune up fight is one thing, but this was piss poor matchmaking.

5. MikeERayner

Trusted

I don't know who Manhoef is so I just looked him up. He's fought both Mark Hunt and Robbie Lawler. That's wild lol.

6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that they are moving Izzy up right now...right as Jon leaves the division and they get some motion and clarity with new contenders. If he wins, someone gets hurt, or the fight is a "robbery" decision warranting a rematch, you have most likely clogged up the division (just like DC/Stipe did at Heavyweight). Then they'll probably try to work in Jones and just leave Glover, Jiri, and all the rest hanging.

Then I don't really know what you do with Whittaker if things are held up... Does he just keep knocking off more contenders?

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  7. MikeERayner

Trusted

8. Woahhhhhhh

9. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Kevin rocks. what a maniac! isn't this his 5th fight this year? He's gotta be the most successful fighter to come from the contender series behind O'malley, right?

Don't see him winning this though

10. It’ll be his 5th fight this year, yeah.

He didn’t have his first fight in 2020 until May either.

Massive step up for him. Joins Khamzat as someone going from unranked to fighting a top5 guy.

11. -deleted-

-

Honestly that’s so huge for him I’m blown away. But somewhat deserved! He’s faced some pretty tough guys in his career and has really solid skills. Excited for that.

12. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

How can you not love this guy? haha

13. I think we’re gonna be seeing a lot more Khamzat/Holland type guys in 2021.

These two have shown that fighting super frequently (while winning obviously, even if it’s against some low hanging fruit) is probably the best path to fighting a top ranked guy way earlier than you normally would and probably the “easier” path to a title shot.

Typically, there’s a lot of maneuvering around and politicking when you get in the top 5-7 range (See: Leon) and these two are completely avoiding it by fighting every 6-8 weeks essentially.

14. going with Santos today

15. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Oh my fucking god that's one of the most gruesome and gory sports injuries i've ever seen :embarrassed::sickface:

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That was awful lol

Maybe I’m just irritable this weekend from potentially having COVID, but this commentary is uncharacteristically getting on my nerves. They’re both tripping over their words (Anik called a clear kick a “knee” and called a clear elbow a “right hand”, Dom has used double-negatives incorrectly multiple times). Both times they brought in Trevor Whitman for commentary in that last fight, he was interrupted by a kick to the groin. Even during the Santos style breakdown, they analyze a clip where he throws a flying knee, misses, falls down and ends up mounted lol.

17. Will be interesting to see how Santos looks coming off some pretty major knee surgeries.

If it looks like he’s got his legs under him, I like his odds at capturing the belt by the end of 2021.

18. Outside of the top 6 at heavyweight + Gane

I have zero interest in that division lol.

stvvvn likes this.
  19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Not sure how to call this next one. Santos seems like the obvious and easy choice, but Glover and his fight IQ always surprises me so I think I’m actually picking him.

20. 333 GANG

ACAB

Santos getting absolutely bodied on the ground

21. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

man that's some 0iq fighting but those first two rounds were brutal. he was dead after that beating.

Glover looks tough to beat. Give Whittaker to Izzy again and let Glover fight for the belt after that.

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Glad I went with Glover lol

I think his smothering ground game had Santos broken, especially since he basically had him finished at the end of round 2. Santos was doing well and hurting him in round 3, but he seriously looked like he wanted out the second that Glover got out from underneath him. Rolled straight over and gave up his back then tapped after just a couple of seconds.

23. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

24. Bro. Come on lmao

25. That card is ROUGH as is.