Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 373

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MikeERayner

Trusted

I’m so over Stipe. Used to be a fan. Now he’s second on the cringe list to Cejudo.

2. yeah, a lot of the current champs have just become so annoying. that’s why i could still appreciate jones, terrible human, but a good champ. same with khabib, izzy. mma is in desperate need of some sort of sanctioning.

3. 333 GANG

ACAB

Adesayna is one day removed from making a super inappropriate remark, so he can get fucked.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  4. -deleted-

-

What has Stipe done that's cringe?

5. -deleted-

-

That twin towers comment was so unbelievably bad. Not even remotely tactful or funny.

333 GANG likes this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The whole way he went about getting the rematch/not giving DC the trilogy has rubbed some people the wrong way. I don't particularly care about that either way, but I see how it's off putting.

Him constantly trying to insert himself in Tyson Fury's story is pretty cringe, especially when there's no chance it'll happen.

MikeERayner and yeahrightdude like this.
  7. -deleted-

-

The boxing callouts outside of Mcgregor/Mayweather never amount to anything so I guess that never bothers me. Feel like the idea of doing it only comes to fruition with the champs because of how lucrative that fight was for those guys.

I personally didn't feel like he overstepped asking for an immediate rematch. He's the best reigning Heavyweight champ the UFC had/has ever seen, and he did go on to finish DC. He's been pretty clear that a 3rd fight with DC was on the table, but he's been out due to a hand injury/surgery. I have no doubt that is the fight both the UFC and DC want as his last fight and I don't see Stipe refusing it.

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, I get it, but have a little self-awareness. McGregor/Floyd partly worked because McGregor could at least talk the game and make it interesting. Stipe would be a pud in the fight and an even bigger pud in the pre-fight lead up (and I like the guy).

9. -deleted-

-

Yeah I’m not really interested in any crossover. The comparisons of the two sports, in my humble opinion, generally come from casuals who think the two sports are similar than they really are.

Also with the revelations in health information that have come about over the past decade regarding boxers, I kinda don’t want anyone to box anymore. :shrug:

slowheart likes this.
  10. Boxing is hard for me to watch at times due to the amount of deaths the sport has per year. And I know the damage these guys are taking is extreme.

I also hate cross-over fights. It’s the same thing every time.
    boxer wins a boxing match, MMA fighter would win in the octagon.

Conor/Floyd was a very particular scenario where it was right place and right time.

No part of me wants to see Stipe or Francis fight a Fury or an Anthony Joshua. They would get absolutely pummeled.

12. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Sheesh. Surprised they didn’t revoke Marlon’s last win bonus while they were at it.

13. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

They’re going to have to stack that card because at this point in Aldo’s career it’s hard to get interested enough in that fight for a ppv headliner

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

That fight sucks so hard, I hope no one wins.

333 GANG likes this.
  15. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

It wouldn't be so weird if there were no obvious contenders, but I was SO stoked to see Petr get a shot. Then you have Marlon (ya know, who beat Aldo), Aljo, Cory, Pedro, etc. I legitimately don't know who wants this fight besides the two involved.

333 GANG likes this.
  16. 333 GANG

ACAB

I’ve also been trying to figure that out, but if I’m sure if you asked the goof Dana he’d rant about how this is the fight the fans have been begging for.

17. -deleted-

-

I’m thinking we’ll see Yan fight either Aljo or Marlon before the year is done. Aljo vs Moraes II is also a possibility.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  18. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I hate to be a pessimist, but it really just seems like Aldo is getting left behind (even though he is still really good) so they're trying to milk him while he's still near the top.

The UFC is also running short on Brazilian stars compared to a few years ago (still tons of good fighters but far less super stars) so that's extra incentive to keep forcing Aldo into these fights.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  19. -deleted-

-

It’s not a guarantee, but I think this is likely the last time we see Aldo fight for a title.

Edit: Unless he wins of course.

20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

He's only lost to the absolute top guys recently so he's still right there, but yeah it seems like a stretch that he's even being granted one right now. If he drops this, it will be hard to make a case for him at either weight class no matter what he does. I don't count him out of this fight with Cejudo, but who knows what will happen!

21. -deleted-

-

I am absolutely rooting for him. Would truly be amazing to see him wear a new belt at this stage of his career. Henry has proven himself to be formidable against strong strikers, but Aldo is good at mixing it up so I somewhat expect to see Henry try to wrestle in this next fight.

If he doesn't win, He'll need to string together multiple wins at either weight class to get back to a title shot. Personally, I think Aldo is such a proud fighter who's confidence will be seriously impacted after 3 losses straight. He'll probably walk away instead of having to fight contenders for another 2 years, and at that point he'd be 35 or 36 if i'm not mistaken.

slowheart likes this.
  22. Rooting for Aldo for sure.

it’s also wild that he’s only 6 months older than Cejudo but has about a million more miles on the body

23. 333 GANG

ACAB

I liked Cejudo during his come up, but his shtick nowadays is far, far too cringey for me to get behind. Would love to see Aldo turn his lights off.

Anthony_Soprano and slowheart like this.
  24. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I think stylistically it's pretty good for Aldo as long as his weight cut goes as smoothly as his last one. He usually deals with wrestlers pretty well and will be fighting a guy a bit smaller than him for once.

As for having his confidence impacted, the guy always surprises me. I thought the same thing after his KO loss to Conor, but he bounced back by dominating Edgar. Then I thought his losses to Max would have him distraught as well, but he came back and stomped two strong contenders. I think now his loss to Volk doesn't look quite as bad, and he really believes he beat Marlon so... who knows. The dude just keeps on pushing.

I'm the opposite. I couldn't stand listening to him because he was cringey but still boring at the same time. haha. Now, at least he's drumming up interest with his shtick and is being purposefully cringey.

25. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It'd be awesome if Aldo won and had to fight Edgar again. /s

If Joe B doesn't win tomorrow I'm going to riot.