Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 371

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Jones got his ass kicked for the first 3 rounds imo

SpyKi likes this.
  2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Agree with most of the comments. I was fine with 3-2 Jones, but 4-1 is laughable. I knew the first two rounds would be dangerous for Jon, but Dom did better than I thought he would over the course of five rounds.

Realistically, it comes down to how you score round 3. The striking was very close in volume and effectiveness. In that instance, the rules say you’re supposed to use control and aggressiveness as a tie-breaker so I suppose that goes to Jon.....but we’ve seen fights exactly like that (Condit/Lawler) where that rule didn’t apply so who the hell knows.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  3. I thought Reyes inflicted way more damage with his strikes and defended every take down very well.

SpyKi likes this.
  4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Jones is the only guy I'm such a big fan of it will fuck up my judgement. I thought Reyes had his flashes of good shots and pressure but Jones was a lot more methodical and calculated throughout a much bigger portion of the fight.

5. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I really have a hard time with this because Jones somehow just eats everything he is hit with. Damage is a hard one to calculate because the shots might look hard and might pack some power but for whatever reason don’t seem to have an effect on the person. Like Jon didn’t flinch when hit with a lot of those and definitely didn’t get wobbly or anything, but those same shots would have easily KOed anyone else. It’s unreal.

6. I don’t know. Rogan and Cruz kept gushing over Jones walking him down and what not but Reyes consistently did damage those first 3 rounds. Stopped the takedowns. I really don’t see how Jones could’ve won any of the first 3 rounds.

SpyKi likes this.
  7. Yeah this isn’t untrue. I just think we’re approaching it with a little bias because of how good he is. But Reyes controlled the fight imo. I’m like really shocked I’m in the minority.

8. Jones saying he won because of takedowns.

Takedowns he did absolutely nothing with. Reyes stood up immediately each time. I never like guys getting credit for those.

SpyKi likes this.
  9. 333 GANG

ACAB

Terrible scorecards. Clear 48-47 in my eyes

Classic fucking Texas

10. -deleted-

-

Different set of judges I’d say this fight would’ve ended differently. At the very least a split decision if not a draw. Reyes’ stamina most definitely did drain, but looking at overall strikes landed, I don’t see it. The two successful takedowns as well as Reyes backpedaling for a good portion of the fight is such a narrow margin to win by that a 49-46 score seems near insulting for the sport.

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah if Jones gets credit for those takedown Reyes should get credit for getting right back up. I thought he won.

12. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

To be clear, I wasn’t making an argument for Jones winning. I kind of thought Reyes won, but I can at least make sense of Jones getting round 3 so I don’t believe it was a robbery. My point was just that it’s hard to score and calculate damage against Jones because A) he’s so tough and B) he has one hell of a poker face so it’s hard to tell in the moment how effective the shots are. I’d like to see them run it back though either way.

I think the thing that has surprised me in the last two fights is the lack of urgency from Jones. He was in complete control in Round 5 of both fights and could have very well been down on the cards in each scenario...yet he was completely content just coasting and barely getting the round. He could have easily lost the belt each time had different judges been there, but he showed no urgency to get a finish or 10-8. Maybe I expect too much from him, but he just doesn’t seem as determined.

13. Yeah I was saying to my friends while watching he just looked disinterested. Most of the fight he seemed so lackadaisical. But that isn’t necessarily anything new with him. I don’t know. Maybe that’s why I felt like he didn’t really do much. Like, there was never a moment in the fight where I thought he was about to finish Reyes or where he was in complete control.

Yeah, he was walking Reyes down majority of the fight but Reyes didn’t seem to care. He was somewhat inviting Jon in and hitting him with counters consistently. Jon was going towards Reyes and getting popped. And like I said earlier with the takedowns, that didn’t impress me at all. Reyes either defended it or got up immediately.

And that’s the other thing, the commentating was kinda painting a different picture that what was actually happening. They kept saying how Reyes was gassing and then he’d stop a takedown with relative ease. I’m sure he was getting tired but it wasn’t like he was gassed so much it jeopardized the fight. Jon was tired too.

14. -deleted-

-

At least I got to see Bullet land what was probably the cleanest wheel kick in women’s MMA history, followed by an axe kick.

Outside of Nunes, who has anything to offer her anymore?

Analog Drummer likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I agree with all of that. Honestly some of the blame comes down to the scoring system itself. I wish that there was a better way to weight the rounds so that the scoring takes into account when a fighter wins by a larger margin. A round that is basically a tie and a coin-flip is still scored the same as a round that is decisively in one guy’s favor. I felt like Dom’s rounds were easy to score and Jon’s were like “eh, I guess you can give him that round.”

17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Eddie is right, just fucking hire old fighters who want to take the position.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  18. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

First time missing a PPV in a long while. I'm gonna rewatch soon but I've been seeing a lot of people online saying Reyes won the first 3 rounds.

19. Analog Drummer

Regular

Surely there’s plenty not in the media who would love to use their knowledge for a nice ringside cash gig

oldjersey likes this.
  20. I was hoping DC would be doing commentary last night but Cruz is great too. It’s weird how Felder became worse over the last year.

21. -deleted-

-

I've never really enjoyed Felder as a commentator. Anik either, but more so because of his voice. DC/Cruz/Rogan for PPV's please.

22. meh, Rogan hasn’t been the greatest lately. Anik has improved with every show.

23. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Dodson's been kicked in the nuts like 10 times in his last 5 fights hahahah

24. -deleted-

-

Let’s go Diego. That entrance had me dying and the crowd loved it.

25. -deleted-

-

Wow. Not that I think it was a close match but that’s two devastating illegal knees tonight.