Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 368

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

interesting...I can't stand the dude

SlappinCups and Analog Drummer like this.
  2. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Really? I find him super likable. His Rogan podcast was great!

3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I just don't really vibe with his personality but in all fairness: I don't really like Masvidal's personality all that much either sometimes

SlappinCups likes this.
  4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

If anyone wants to watch some ridiculous fights...

Rough n Rowdy 11...
    Boxing Streams Live

5. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I’ve come around to Usman a little, but I couldn’t stand him for the longest time. I honestly think his juxtaposition to Colby made him seem more likable by comparison. Haha.

I just remember being so annoyed seeing him fight Meek live in St Louis a couple of years ago, and it was the most boring fight I’ve ever witnessed followed by a super arrogant post-fight speech. I mean, he hasn’t lost since and is the current champ so what do I know?

angrycandy likes this.
  6. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I like Masvidal vs Usman and I like both guys but I see Usman winning.

7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Pretty intrigued by the LHW matchup this weekend. Reyes has a skillset that Jones has dealt with plenty of times, but I just wonder if his size and speed will make the difference in actually landing one of those big punches. He is probably one of the biggest guys Jones has fought, but he is way faster and more explosive than someone like Gus. Still favor Jones by a wide margin, but I think Dom has at least a better puncher's chance than most of the other guys he's faced.

The crazy thing with Jones is that if someone finally manages to catch him with a shot and takes away the belt, I still foresee him coming back and dominating a rematch. There are for sure people who can win against him, but there's still really no apparent stylistic match up that bests him every time (if that makes sense).

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This is such a weak card.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Really? You mean you aren't looking forward to watching the main card with that guy who held on to Greg Hardy's leg for 30 seconds fight some guy who doesn't even have a photo on the UFC's website?

yeahrightdude and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Lol, Juan needs a win, but I'm not sure he gets it against Junior Tafa's brother. But maybe he does. Either way I won't care haha.

11. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Solid 0 excitement for this. Reyes is such a turd that I actually think I’m going for Jones here.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm always excited to see Valentina

13. -deleted-

-

Crazy to me that you guys think this card is weak. Jones and Schev are two of the most dominant champs to have existed in the UFC and they’re going up against good contenders. Lewis is also fighting Latifi?

Analog Drummer and SpyKi like this.
  14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I can buy Reyes as a worthy contender, but not enough to make me think he has much of a chance. Chookagian is basically being fed to Shev, so good luck to her I guess.

Outside of the main/co-main, only Lewis and Ige (who aren't world beaters) are coming off wins, so it's not like any of those fights have real stakes. Even Lewis and Latifi, which I think could be fun, has real potential to get sloppy.

248 is infinitely more interesting in my opinion.

15. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

This might be a controversial take, but I don't typically look forward to Lewis fights. I know he has a ton of KOs on his record, but the guy tends to just stand there a lot. Even in some fights where gets the highlight reel KO, it comes after a ton of inactivity. I don't know. Maybe his bad performances just stick in my mind more than the spectacular ones.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  16. -deleted-

-

How is Chookagian being fed to Valentina? She is the #1 contender literally.

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Right, Valentina is also a -1200 favorite. You can be the #1 contender and still be miles behind the champ.

To the original point, and I'm not saying Chookagian can't win, but that title fight (on paper) isn't enough to make this a compelling card to me.

18. -deleted-

-

So fighters don’t interest you unless they’re extremely popular and have KO streaks going? And betting odds are close to even? Valentina is again, one of the most dominant champions in Women’s UFC history, the betting odds are always in her favor. I think they even were against Nunes. Katlyn has earned a shot and that’s happening underneath Jones vs Reyes, a currently undefeated challenger who’s talking about trying to brawl him. Thats exciting to me. That’s what this sport is about. Not just seeing super fights booked that wind up being so hyped, and the fighters being so respectful, that they both take 0 risks and essentially wind up having a sparring match.

I’ve never once been bored watching either of these champs defending this weekend.

koryoreo likes this.
  19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I feel like it depends on how you spin it. Main event is solid and the co-main is inherently pretty good just because it's a Valentina fight, but I don't know. I don't think that necessarily means you have to be excited for it.

The bigger part of it is Chookagian who isn't exactly known to be an exciting fighter (0 stoppages in the UFC) and even though she's the number 1 contender, she's on a two-fight win streak and has lost close fights to the last two people Valentina has beaten fairly easily. I agree that a big discrepancy in the odds doesn't mean that you shouldn't be excited, but I think in this context you can't really blame someone for not being pumped about it. It's not even really an intriguing stylistic match up on paper.

Same with the rest of the card honestly. I've heard of exactly 1 person on the prelims. Does that mean the fights won't be exciting? Absolutely not. Does that mean Katlyn doesn't have a chance of winning or making the fight worth watching? Absolutely not.....but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong for not being absolutely stoked to watch them.

Still probably going to check out most of them though. ha.

20. I’m gonna watch the whole card like usual but it’s pretty obvious that outside the top two fights, this card is weak as hell.

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I didn't say any of that, but if you're stoked for the card that's cool, I hope you enjoy watching it. All I'm saying is that I've been watching MMA long enough to know when to save my $65 and catch the highlights.

22. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I wish they'd at least stack the main cards a little more. At least have names that people know even if they aren't ranked.

23. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah this is one of the worst cards I've seen in terms of having a STEEP drop off of recognizable names. Two title fights and then only three fighters I've ever even heard of. haha. I'm surprised they didn't have one more fight of well-known fighters on the main card, but I think I'm even more surprised that they don't really even have a featured prelim bout.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  25. -deleted-

-

Everything Yoel does looks impressive when you remember he's 42 ffs.

And maybe he isn't really deserving of a title shot at this moment, and I have nothing against Izzy but to see Yoel take the title and then possibly retire would be awesome.