Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 367

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that Usman podcast bored me like I expected it would

2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I think that article I posted did a good job of outlining the problem with all of that. Yes, we wanted it to become more mainstream, but that's because we realize there's tons of nuance and context to everything and acknowledge that it will take a while for people to catch up. And to Joe's point, I do think having a guy on the post-fight show who is solely there to spit out controversial takes doesn't help to further any casual viewer's understanding of the sport. I don't even necessarily disagree with some of Smith's points about Cowboy possibly having trouble performing in high stakes fights (to a certain extent), but he didn't really give any nuanced points on it. It was just a rant on how badly he failed. haha.

Yeah I had to quit listening to him haha. He thought it was completely about media attention and number of views. He might have had a lot of eyes on him, but that's not necessarily a good thing if he's going off on a rant disparaging the fighter who just lost....and that was more Joe's point.

Tom likes this.
  3. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

This isn’t the first time Stephen A has tried talking about MMA. Like Joe said, ESPN has so many current and former fighters to choose from when it comes to analysis. Felder, DC, Cruz, Bisping, Rashad.. even Anthony Smith and Usman have done desk analysis for ESPN post fight. Having Stephen A talk nonsense at the end of an event isn’t gonna drive up viewership. All it does is make the UFC and ESPN look bad.

Analog Drummer and Mrk_Brdshw like this.
  4. angrycandy

at least get Max in there

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I don't get why DC wasn't at the Conor PPV

6. -deleted-

-

Smith's shtick just doesn't work for MMA. Hearing him talk about it at all makes it very clear he's barely scratched the surface of the sport since being picked up by ESPN.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Rogan fuckin nailed it perfectly when he bashed him on the pod. You can tell he meant the fuck out of it he kept repeating himself for like 25 mins lol

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  8. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Paul a Felder isn’t getting enough shit for how awful he was that night too. That whole night was trash for commentary from nearly everyone except maybe Anik.

angrycandy and oldjersey like this.
  9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

What exactly did he do that was so bad? We had people over so we weren't paying attention to the commentary all that much.

10. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

He spoke like he was watching fights with his friends; BSing, reacting to the fight, and telling stories rather than providing insight to their actions and calling the fight.

He seems like a good dude but it was not what I want to hear on a big fight. It was tough hearing all my friends who never pay attention to mma complain about it.

angrycandy likes this.
  11. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Damn Frankie Edgar JRE episode just dropped!!!!!!!

12. 333 GANG

ACAB

What episode was this? I want to watch it later tonight.

13. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Josh Thomson right in the beginning

333 GANG likes this.
  14. 333 GANG

ACAB

15. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Rogan's killing me with all these MMA podcasts, too much content :crylaugh:

16. Tom

Tickets for 249 secureddddd

17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I love Frankie so much. He has this airhead-ness to him but it just makes him even more likable

18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Also Usman has moved up to a current favorite of mine right now with Adesanya

19. Tom

The Rogan podcast with Lovato Jr is really really good. Talking about his mental and physical battle with his health leading up to his last fight when he won the championship. Dude went through hell during that training camp.

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I just finished that. Crazy that this is happening. Glad someone caught his brain condition and hope they can figure something out for him.

Tom likes this.
  21. angrycandy

so I guess Rogan might be doing MMA podcasts all week?

Tom likes this.
  22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

This Lovato Jr pod is incredible. Didn't know about him really, big supporter now.

23. -deleted-

-

Sounds like Dana all but confirmed Usman vs Masvidal in July.

24. angrycandy

Masvidal doesn't have much of a shot but I'm pulling for him if that happens

25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I fucking love Usman, rooting for him hard in that one. Think he deff takes it too.