Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 350

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I know these don't mean much but I'm curious about everyones thoughts about UFC's pound for pound top fighters.

It's an interesting order :chin::chin::chin::chin:

Rankings | UFC

2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Hmm I actually feel like I agree with most of that (although I don't know how you can have Conor in there still with his last win being 3 years ago).

Pound-for-pound rankings are difficult because everyone seems to have a different view/definition of what that term really means. Some people tend to favor the lighter guys like Cejudo since they can more easily fight at different weight classes as "proof", but that discriminates against the bigger guys (large Heavyweights have no opportunity to fight at another weight class).

I look at it from this perspective: If all of those fighters were the same exact size/weight, whose skill set would you favor? From that point of view, I feel like their list is pretty accurate.

SpyKi and oldjersey like this.
  3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I think what bothered me most is Jones, maybe should of lost his last fight if the UFC judges weren't so against giving away the belt due to a close decision. I used to be a huge Jones fan (hard to support him now) so I know the dude is super talented, I just haven't been blown away by his recent fights like I have been with Nunes, Khabib and Cejudo.

4. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That is true, and I can't say I disagree with those points. I think in his case it's that he's been turning people away for so long at this point, he's almost grandfathered in to that top spot (if that makes sense).

Even though I did kind of feel like he probably lost to Santos and (at the very least) that was a pretty underwhelming performance by his old standards, the fact that he still hasn't been bested decisively makes it hard to knock him down the list, ya know? One loss and I bet the UFC moves him down to the middle of the list.

oldjersey likes this.
  5. Caught up on the Walt Harris stuff with his daughter and that shit is so heartbreaking.

I really hope she’s found safe

campeondeluniverso likes this.
  7. campeondeluniverso

nah.

8. Mrk_Brdshw Nov 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 6, 2019)
    Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I know we have a lot of fights left, but since publications are already asking.... Fighter of the Year? Most seem to think it comes down to Israel and Jorge. I feel like Cejudo could have been the obvious choice but he's been on the shelf the whole second half of 2019.

Israel beat Anderson, beat KG for the interim title, then stopped Whittaker for the main title. Pretty good year.

Jorge definitely caught the biggest buzz out of ANY fighter this year. He KO'ed Till, handed Askren his first loss while also snatching up the fastest KO in UFC history, and he "stopped" Nate Diaz in what was essentially a trophy fight at MSG. Pretty remarkable, and I would say it's simply the fact that he didn't end up capturing a championship belt that keeps him from being a clear winner (but hey, Usman vs. Covington hasn't actually happened yet...)

9. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I say Jorge but you could easily give it to Israel too

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Jorge by a fairly wide margin for me.

11. angrycandy

so Nate retired, I guess?

12. 333 GANG

ACAB

Endless drama with Diaz. Can’t stand him.

13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I like him as a fighter, but I get a little tired of his complaining. He's like 15-10 in the UFC, but I don't think he's ever lost without claiming he was seriously injured or that he got screwed over in some way and is retiring lol.

333 GANG likes this.
  14. angrycandy

something tells me he'll be back

even though you never know about him or his brother

15. I could definitely see Nate retiring. He seems to hate everything that comes with it and has made plenty of money to live off of so it makes sense. Fighters always fake retire but this one doesn't surprise me.

With that said, there is one fight I don't think he'd say no to and that's the Conor trilogy.

16. The Nate/Conor trilogy actually makes sense to do now.

Both off of a loss and is winnable for either guy.

17. Ideal way for that to happen imo is Conor beating Cerrone in January, then calling out Nate, with Nate accepting and making it a “retirement fight” type thing for him. Would be huge.

18. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Nate just says random stuff, I don't think hes gonna retire.

19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

It's CLOBBERIN TIME

20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Solid mid-Saturday card. Hardy lost just like I wanted him to - by looking underwhelming but just okay and not exciting. Haha.

Bummer that Zabit vs. Calvin wasn’t 5 rounds but I understand the circumstances. I think you give him a title shot now because him vs Max or Alexander will be amazing.

Tom likes this.
  21. angrycandy

yup, just as I thought: Nate's now saying he's not retired

22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Zabit looked fine, give him a shot I guess.

It's pretty clear Hardy isn't going to get smoked or anything like that. He's actually getting better.

King Mo should stay away for good now, come on man.

Tom likes this.
  23. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Nick Diaz vs Gamebred might be happening?

24. Zabit v Max is fight of the year potential. I want it.

Tom likes this.
  25. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

The Diaz brothers are like Chael with the whole "I've never actually lost" shtick except without the hyperbole.