Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 299

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

After everything I’ve said and acknowledging that Santos KOing him, the most absurd thing would be winning a UD against Jones. Haha.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

It's like Jones refuses to throw basic strikes/punches

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ughghg, lame

4. MikeERayner

Trusted

That 4th was a snooze fest

5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I think its 2-2, but have no idea because rounds 2 and 4 are a toss up.

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Santos deserves the win just for the fact he's actually trying to fight

MikeERayner likes this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Jones could have easily won this by now, yet has chosen not to. So weird.

8. T.J.

music and baseball.

Not sure why Jones didn’t take advantage of that leg.

I don’t think Santos did enough to dethrone a champ.

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Maybe Jones wants to relinquish the belt, so he can move up to heavyweight? I have no explanation for why Jones is so hesitant

10. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah if Jones loses its his own fault. Thiago did this on one leg for most of the fight. I personally have a draw.

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

OOooofffff - what a lame ending to a great night

12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

You just don't win a belt that way, unwritten rule

13. Had it 3-2 Santos tbh but you gotta beat the champ.

Jones loses that belt if this was in Brazil though lmao

14. had it 3-2 santos. i would be fine with a rematch, although i’d assume jones would just take it to the ground.

15. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I had it 3-2 Santos but that was just odd. In Jon’s defense, none of Thiago’s strikes appeared to affect him too terribly because he wore a poker face pretty well. Jon did what he had to do to win, so I give him that but I thought he lost three of those rounds due to inactivity alone. It was WAY more strange considering he clearly had an injured opponent in front of him.

Honestly, I wouldn’t doubt it if seeing those three brutal knockouts beforehand got in his head - one in his division, one the fastest in history, one on his close friend and training partner. He seemed to be frozen in fear of being added to that list.

currytheword and yeahrightdude like this.
  16. currytheword

Trusted

The guy was throwing wheel kicks, flying knees, and spinning elbows. He was not being hesitant, he was waiting for openings and part of how he’s gotten some of his finishes was by coming off relaxed with low energy. Then suddenly you’re on your back or eating his foot. Was really cool to see that once Santos started showing some buckling in that bad knee, Jon started feeling for what seemed like a heel pick setup. Though he didn’t ever fully commit cause Santos was landing hard combos whenever he got inside.

Santos attacks in flurries and has been starching opponents. Jones is a dynamic, all-around tough opponent with one of the biggest arsenals. To think he would walk into a brawl with him, which is all that Santos could hope for, is silly imo.

Jones landed more to the body and the legs, as well as split him open with a spinning elbow. Santos landed 6 more head shots than Jones, none of which really significantly hurt him. I think they made the right call.

17. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Crazy night. I had Santos winning but it was a damn close fight. Jon took plenty of shots but did not show he was feeling it. Definitely would have been interesting to see how this would have played out if Thiago’s knee wasn’t busted.

But that Masvidal knockout was easily the craziest thing I’ve seen since Conor vs Aldo.

18. currytheword

Trusted

My mind just jumped to “But is Askren ok?”

oldjersey and yeahrightdude like this.
  19. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I can’t stop thinking about that knee.

yeahrightdude and currytheword like this.
  20. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I don’t really disagree with the call and it probably was the correct one, but I think that is stretching what happened just a little. It wasn’t as obvious of a win as that makes it sound which is why it was a split decision and why he lost the rounds he did. He was inactive a lot of the time with some flashy strikes thrown in a handful of times, but he barely out-landed a one-legged opponent in total strikes. He didn’t capitalize nearly as much as he should have IMO.

21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

This is me every 15 mins

currytheword and yeahrightdude like this.
  22. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Great night of fights. Wasn't the best main event but enjoyed the fight with it being so close.

currytheword likes this.
  23. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

currytheword likes this.
  24. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

oldjersey and currytheword like this.
  25. currytheword

Trusted

Hmmm I just watched Masvidal’s post-fight interview and I probably shouldn’t again cause his personality rubs me wrong. Making slight homophobic comments and constantly calling Ben a bitch and a scrub. C’mon man, we’re all impressed and happy for you. I get that Ben does a lot of talk for laughs but you clowned him when the ref stopped it. Leave it at that.

T.J. and yeahrightdude like this.