Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 285

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Let's go Lionheart!

2. currytheword

Trusted

It really says a lot about Smith in that he's in there hanging with the best of the best and beating all of them without decisions.

3. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shit Gus just retired.

currytheword likes this.
  4. currytheword

Trusted

DAMN, Gus just retired and left his gloves in the ring.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  5. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Anthony Smith has retired 3 of his last 5 opponents. Rockhold is next baby! LET'S GO!

currytheword likes this.
  6. currytheword

Trusted

I really hope that’s the fight they make after this if Rockhold wins.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  7. currytheword

Trusted

In the meantime after that, Jones faces DC at heavyweight and that winds up being DC’s last fight.

8. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Happy for Smith but also sad for Gus. He gave Jones and DC the toughest fights of their careers so that is something to be proud of, but it has to sting knowing how close you were.

On that note, I know Smith wants another shot at Jones, but I’m not sure what he needs to do differently. He fought well against Jones, but at the same time, he was fighting completely defensively. Almost like he was trying to not lose and was specifically focused on what Jon was doing.

9. currytheword

Trusted

IDK if there is a Boxing thread, but it was wild to watch Joshua v Ruiz. One of the more entertaining bouts in boxing that i've watched in a long time. I think he'll come back strong as ever after some work on his conditioning which seemed to be his big fault.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Highlights of the Joshua vs Ruiz fight - as even an MMA fan, this fight was great to watch, especially watching the pure hunger to win that Ruiz had

currytheword likes this.
  11. currytheword

Trusted

I couldn't believe the power he had in the 7th round. He kept catching Joshua off-guard after he'd throw with these intense flurries and I don't think Joshua knew he'd be able to hang with him that long.

12. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Imagine how much faster he'd be if he lost 15-20 pounds; he wouldn't lose any of his power, but his endurance would go up a bit. Wonder how much he'll try to improve his physique, if at all, before the rematch later this year.

14. MikeERayner

Trusted

Dan Hooker v James Vick at San Antonio. Holy shit what a fight.

t_papaccio likes this.
  15. currytheword

Trusted

Yup, he’s still got it.

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Gus, King Mo and Jimi all retiring this week. The LHW division just keeps getting thinner, but hopefully this is the beginning for a new crop of guys.

18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Khabib is gonna wreck him

19. currytheword

Trusted

At least now the GSP rumors are officially nixed.

20. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Well...

currytheword likes this.
  21. Wonder if that clause has something to do with the fight taking place in Russia

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

currytheword likes this.
  23. currytheword

Trusted

Not that I wouldn’t watch the fight (I 100% would), but I don’t want to see GSP take it for the wrong reasons nor see his retirement redacted. Would be disappointing and totally unnecessary. I felt proud of him for retiring on his terms.

t_papaccio and yeahrightdude like this.

24. FWIW Henry did not participate in his open workout.

25. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

huh... he was asked about it in the scrum and he acted like he had no idea what they were talking about, did some shadow boxing and bounced around for a second then claimed that he didn't work out because of a contract obligation(????). Right after that though he mentioned he hit his knee on a desk last night so that's what the tweet was referring to.

I didn't believe it at first but that's pretty suspicious. Obviously the fight is still on though.