Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 209

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. currytheword

Trusted

Can’t decide what looks worse, TJ or the new belt.

Analog Drummer and yeahrightdude like this.
  2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I kind of dig it. The look is just okay, but the customization aspect of it is really cool. Although as of now, who even has the longest active title streak? Mighty Mouse's would have been entirely filled with stones already. haha.

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Well, he looks like an alien now, but TJ made weight.... Yikes.

currytheword likes this.
  4. currytheword

Trusted

I love the concept of the belt, with the adding stones for championship fights and what not, along with the heritage representation of historical champions. All around, I love the idea. Just the center of the belt looks really clunky/thick.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  5. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with everyone in here; I like the idea of customization but the belt looks bad. The last one was perfect for bright lights in the octagon and sitting at press conferences, the new one looks considerably worse under bright lights.

currytheword and slowheart like this.
  6. MikeERayner

Trusted

Super cheap of them to not give out a new belt for defenses.

Analog Drummer and currytheword like this.
  7. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

holy shit I didn't realize that's what they were doing. I assumed they would just get a new one with the 2nd gem, but after re-reading it I think you're right. They made a cheaper belt and found a way to be even cheaper! lol wow

8. Also for anyone not subscribed: you can get a free 7 day ESPN+ sub if you’ve never signed up before

Might be US only. Not sure

currytheword likes this.
  9. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

They should have added a texture to the outside of the belt so it shines bright instead of reflect black. They should have that black reflection behind the "world championship" instead of letting the leather show through. That would make it pop and it wouldn't look as cheap.

I can't help but think this is just a way to cut costs now.

10. MikeERayner

Trusted

That’s how I interpreted it anyway! I could be wrong.

11. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That’s why I brought up the current streaks. Say those “gems” or “stones” are the expensive part...they didn’t debut the belt until after people like Stipe and Mighty Mouse lost their streaks. Woodley has the longest defense streak right now. Haha.

12. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

I guess I missed this. I can't decide if that means there's more incentive now to defend your belt and collect the gems or to move up and collect belts. Is there a special gem for interim belts?

currytheword likes this.
  13. lordjedediah

N00b3

14. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

15. MikeERayner

Trusted

Forgot about that bit! They’re definitely being cheap! & It certainly encourages super fights.

16. Do we know who is doing commentary for the ESPN cards?

17. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

DC and Anik are calling tonight. I think it's going to be the same rotating crew but with Bisping instead of Jimmy.

slowheart likes this.
  18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

It is so much less entertaining when DC isn't commentating.

@slowheart @currytheword who you like for the main event tonight?

Analog Drummer and currytheword like this.
  19. I just made a dumb parlay for tonight but fuck it. Going with my gut lol

TJ, Benavidez, Medeiros, Muhammad

20. currytheword

Trusted

I think the obvious pick for tonight is TJ, but Henry did very well against DJ when people thought he would be steamrolled. On top of that, as I’ve said TJ looks terrible at this weight and could barely get his clothes off at official weigh-ins. I could definitely see Henry with a huge upset tonight.

Also rooting for Cerrone cause Hernandez is just a bit ahead of himself and I wanna see Don vs Con haha.

MikeERayner and oldjersey like this.
  21. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

22. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Great way to start this new era... being postponed by a college basketball game.

23. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Wonder if we get any big announcements during tonight

24. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Sandhagen is a lot of fun. Seeing his last fight live was one of my favorite moments of last year.

25. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

DC teasing something