Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 207

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

2. currytheword likes this.
  3. currytheword

Trusted

Curious if this means MMA training? Would love to see Rumble back at it, easily one of my favorite LHW’s to have watched next to Jones. Can’t see him fighting at that weight anymore though, he’s massive now.

oldjersey likes this.
  4. UFC 232 did ~700,000 buys

5. https://www.mmanews.com/ufc-russian-stadium-show/

"The UFC will be returning to Russia in 2019, but this time it will be inside a much bigger stadium. This past September, the UFC made their debut in Russia with a card headlined by Mark Hunt and Alexey Oleinik. Oleinik defeated Hunt via first-round submission by way of rear-naked choke. The show took place from the Olympic Stadium in Moscow packed with 22,603 fans.

Now, Andrei Arlovksi’s manager, Anton Glazyri, reveals in a recent interview with Russian news outlet TASS that “The next fight for Andrei Arlovski will be held in St. Petersburg. Who will be a rival is still unknown.” According to the MMA Team Dagestan Twitter account, who frequently breaks news pertaining to Russian MMA, the event will take place from the new Gazprom Arena on April 20th.

The Gazprom Arena hosted several games during the 2018 FIFA World Cup. It fit up to 65,000 people for the soccer games."

It would never happen, but I'd like to see Fedor fight at least once in the UFC and have it be on this card. Imagine if he beats Bader (he only has that fight left on his deal) and comes to get destroyed by Cormier or some shit.

But knowing the UFC, they'll close off a majority of the stadium and only fill about 20k and have some random person headline.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  6. Holy shit

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Anyone subscribing (or already has) to ESPN+ for this weekend's fight?

8. currytheword

Trusted

Was just talking to my roommate this week about it. Sucks having to get another subscription, but we don’t really have a choice now.

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I've got DAZN and am happy with it, despite the general lack of content, so in that regard ESPN+ is already a better offering. Curious to see what the user experience is like, but I guess I could sign up and see.

10. currytheword

Trusted

Yo, TJ looks pretty damn awful on his instagram. Just really worse for wear.

Idk why his training has him looking like he's been taking a beating lately. Those fucking knuckles wow.

slowheart likes this.

11. I would like to never see him make this cut again.

Rogan has probably called Ludwig about 50 times by now telling him to make sure TJ doesnt do it ever again lol

currytheword likes this.
  12. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Going by the last card that Cejudo and Dillashaw were both on and the fight night weights were released... Dillashaw goes into the cage at about 150 and Cejudo goes in at about 140.

That is insane when you consider that they are so small. He's basically cutting 20% of his body weight to make this fight if his comfortable fight weight is 150 lbs (Henry would be dropped about 12%). I think Mighty Mouse was smart to not accept the fight until TJ proved he could get down that low.

13. currytheword

Trusted

100% smart on him. The UFC had none of it and wouldn't back him on it cause they just wanted a money fight. I'm happy for DJ that he got out, he was unbelievably underappreciated.

TJ is a great fighter, but I think he's stayed at Bantamweight because he knew he could be dominant and bigger. I think he'd get pieced up by many in the featherweight division.

14. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

currytheword likes this.
  15. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

There are so many good matchups that I can't wait to see. I'm so excited.

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Woodley at 185 works for me.

17. Dana would explode if Woodley held two belts lmao

yeahrightdude likes this.
  18. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I don’t know how I didn’t realize that both guys competing for the middleweight title coming up spent a huge chunk of their UFC careers as welterweights (with so-so records at that). A Woodley move would be interesting.

currytheword likes this.
  19. MikeERayner

Trusted

It certainly says something for fighting at sensible weights.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  20. currytheword

Trusted

Indeed. Whittaker actually won TUF at Welterweight. One absolutely amazing fighter. I think he only had a few fights though at that weight, did relatively well, then took a KO from Wonderboy in what is easily his worst fight, and he’s been a Middleweight ever since. Undefeated at that weight with like 6 fight bonuses earned or something. The man is a beast I can’t wait for that card.

21. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

You could also argue that that fight was one of Wonderboy's BEST fights. I think that win went (and still goes) underappreciated considering how good Whittaker has looked against literally everyone else since. Whittaker was also coming off of a loss to Court McGee though so I'm sure that brought his stock down at the time.

22. currytheword

Trusted

Definitely agree. That was around the time when Wonderboy was just barely on the radar, and afterwards shot up in popularity. If you haven't seen that fight with McGee, he honestly could've won it. A very back and forth bout with I think Whittaker out-landing him. But he also took a few hard punches that rocked him, and at times did seem like he was about to hit the mat. Very similar to his last fight with Romero actually, except this time he was holding nothing back and had the power to keep Romero at a distance for 4 rounds with a broken hand.

23. currytheword

Trusted

Also agree that Woodley at Middleweight could be interesting, but if Souza doesn't get his long-deserved shot this year then the UFC should be sold again.

24. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Also agree with that. However, if you are afraid the UFC will do Woodley any favors, I'd say you're safe. haha

Jacare SHOULD get the next shot unless Adesanya gets some sort of highlight reel finish against Anderson and jumps the line. I'm glad they didn't give him one for his win over Brunson which Jacare also did immediately beforehand. I honestly had him beating both Gastelum and Romero so it irks me that both have gotten shots before him.

Analog Drummer and currytheword like this.
  25. currytheword

Trusted

The Whittaker and Romero rematch made sense to me, and came to be my favorite fight of last year. Gastelum doesn’t make sense to me really except for his win over Bisping, though should that fight really have happened?