Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. myhumanholiday

particularly good finder Prestigious

So Jones vs OSP at UFC 197 was just confirmed...

2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I can dig it. Solid fight for Jones and a big opportunity for OSP.

3. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I like it. Saves the card from a terrible buy rate, and it's a different opponent for Jones. Interested to see how it plays out.

4. Family Friendly Rap God

Subbing

5. myhumanholiday

Don't know if y'all care about WSOF, but Jon Fitch just won the welterweight belt.

6. Brandon Allin

Was at the Red Wings game last night so I missed the card, but I plan on watching it all today. How was the fight?

7. myhumanholiday

I didn't really pay much attention to it tbh; lots of Fitch on top and holding Zeferino against the cage. Pretty much what you would expect in a Fitch fight, haha.

8. Brandon Allin

Sounds about right, haha.

I love the avatar. One of my favorite fighters, and a super nice guy.

myhumanholiday likes this.
  9. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I hate when organizations lose their champions. It just leaves the weight class feeling hollow. It kind of makes it hard for me to care in situations like that even though I'm glad they got rid of that maniac Palhares.

Speaking of champtions, is anybody else weirded out by the UFCs quick decisions to do interim belts recently? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it just seems weird to do one for Frankie/Jose while Conor is fighting on the same card and then to do one when Cormier pulls out of a fight for the first time. To have Jones (who never lost his belt) now fight for an interim titles feels weird to me, but I guess those belts don't really mean anything except a guaranteed title shot.

10. Brandon Allin

The Edgar-Aldo one is very strange. Guessing it's just to make the fight feel "bigger" for a landmark event.

Jones one is a little more logical to me. I still don't think it's necessary, but I read a pretty good article about how an interim title doesn't really feel like one when a guy never lost his title in the first place. When you look at it that way, it feels a bit better.

11. chavril

I don't think OSP has a chance, motivated Jones is too much

12. chavril

Really excited to watch MM compete again, dude is crazy fast

13. Brandon Allin

I certainly wouldn't bet on him, but I'll never count anyone out in MMA.

14. chavril

Very true. I predict Jones winning by TKO via some elbows. Or he'll eye poke him and the fight will get stopped lol

15. Brandon Allin

Either outcome would not surprise me in the least, haha. I realize MMA math doesn't work, but OSP struggled against Ryan Bader and we all know what Jones did to him.

chavril likes this.
  16. chavril

Yea OSP did not look great in the fight, which was surprising. Can't discount Bader though, he was on a streak until Rumble.

17. chavril

Yea it is a little strange, but I'm sure it helps get PPV buys

18. Brandon Allin

Tony Ferguson out of the fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov, but it seems a new opponent isn't out of the question just yet. Cerrone, RDA, and BJ Penn have all thrown their names in the ring.

19. chavril

Sucks, was really looking forward to that fight. Still surprised Khabib wasn't the one who pulled out lol

20. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

Tate vs Nunes at UFC 200 for the belt. Actually really looking forward to that fight (though it throws a wrench in an interview I handed in to my editors last week with Miesha)

21. Brandon Allin

I like it. Holly deserved a rematch more than Weidman, McGregor, and the like did, but seeing a new matchup right now is refreshing. Very good card so far.

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I agree. The more they can avoid immediate rematches, the happier I am. Weidman kind of got lucky given that Jacare vs. Romero didn't end up producing a decisive #1 contender because of everything that happened, but I guess I'm happy to watch that one. Miesha was already widely known, but after letting her piggyback off of Nate and Conor TWICE now (the second time being at a milestone even), it should help her out a ton to get her in the spotlight.

23. Brandon Allin

Prior to this announcement there were rumors Nunes-Zingano was in the works for UFC 200. You think they book Holm-Zingano now? That pairing seems to make a lot of sense at the moment.

24. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That was what came to my mind after the announcement as well because I knew everyone was going to wonder what to do with Holly now. Probably the best fight they can make if Rousey is still on hiatus, in my opinion. A win for either puts them right in contention.

25. Brandon Allin

I don't believe Rousey is even training at the moment, and in those pictures that surfaced of her in her Reebok gear not long ago, it looked like she had kind of ballooned up following the loss to Holm. Can't imagine we see her until at least November.

Dana said that UFC 200 (before the Tate-Nunes announcement) would feature a couple of women's fights, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Zingano-Holm fall there as well.