Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 171

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Artem would be demolished

currytheword likes this.
  2. currytheword

Trusted

Even though Johnson has been on the decline the last few years, I agree. Lobov is pretty terrible and has never been on that caliber level.

3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hm so DC is really adamant about having 2 fights left in his career, taking this Lewis fight prevents us from getting Brock or Jones again. Who knows though. Which would you guys rather see? DC/Brock or DC/Jones?? My gut tells me I wanna see DC/Jones one more time.

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'd rather he just retire, but if it's between Brock or Jones give me Brock.

5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

there’s also Stipe

6. currytheword

Trusted

Definitely would rather see a rematch with Stipe than either of those.

7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Sadly, I think Stipe is going to get treated like the people who lost to McGregor. As long as DC is in the title picture, they're going to match him up with Brock or Jones or whoever they think will be the money fight instead of thinking of it as "You know what, Stipe just broke the record for title defenses at Heavyweight.... Let's give him another shot."

That said, I would not be surprised if they try to make that fight with Jones happen regardless. Only way I don't see it happening is if Cormier beats Lewis but Jones loses to Gus. It's harder to sell that fight after that.

Jones and Cormier both win their next fights, they do Jones vs. Cormier for the Heavyweight belt
    Jones wins but Cormier loses, they do Jones vs. Cormier for the Light Heavyweight belt
    They both lose, just make the fight anyway because why not?

currytheword likes this.
  8. currytheword

Trusted

Lewis shocks the world and beats DC, becoming the HW Champ.

Jones beats Gus and becomes LHW Champ.

DC goes from double Champ to no Champ.

Jones moves up to Heavyweight and beats Lewis, becoming the 4th double champ ever. Thus, igniting a fire in DC that he can't ignore, forcing him to fight Jones again.

This is never gonna happen but I was running with it.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  9. angrycandy

lol I hate every one of those scenarios tbh

currytheword likes this.
  10. UFC is definitely going to TRY to set Jones up as a double champ.

currytheword likes this.
  11. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Let's be honest, with the way that the UFC is going nowadays, Jones and/or Gus is going to pull out with an injury or USADA violation, DC is going to decision Lewis and wait for Brock, who is never going to end up returning and he's going to end up retiring without fighting again. They'll literally only have DC vs. Lewis take place, and then in about six months they'll have Jones vs. Stipe for the vacant title.

currytheword likes this.
  13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I don't blame him. At least we got one solid return fight from him and his legacy ended with him getting another title and not squeaking out that decision against Johny Hendricks. Just take your GOAT title and get out of here.

14. currytheword

Trusted

His line saying “I walked away from the sport on top, healthy, and wealthy” really does sum it up. I like that he’s honest with himself as well as everyone watching. There is no knocking this guy.

15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yup GSP has always been a stand up guy and a class act. I don't feel like he's done fighting though.

currytheword likes this.
  16. He’s really all the sport has left from that “era” who didn’t tarnish his legacy in some way.

currytheword likes this.
  18. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Happy for his big payday but I'm selfishly disappointed that we won't be seeing him in UFC anymore.

19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Good for Eddie. Good for ONE. The ONE app is actually really cool.

20. angrycandy

I really hope that one day the UFC has a real rival in the MMA space. whether it be ONE or Bellator or whatever. competition is always a good thing and will lead to better fights and fighters getting paid more for their efforts

currytheword likes this.
  21. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I remember the hype that everyone felt when the UFC finally absorbed Strikeforce and the WEC's rosters, but I honestly thought the sport was more fun back then. I turned on the TV for amazing cards basically two or three times a week back in the day and loved all of the guys that those other organizations were able to build up. When the UFC owns basically everyone, it doesn't really allow anyone to move up the ranks (both in literal rank and in popularity) because potential stars are relegated to being on the undercard. It's also fun when you finally get to see this rivalries play out between organizations.

Speaking of which, I wish Alvarez would stay in the UFC but holy shit, he has not had an easy fight in I don't know how long. Seriously, look at his record. Chandler, Aoki, Pitbull, Chandler, Cowboy, Gilbert, Pettis, RDA, Conor, Poirier, Gaethje, Poirier since 2011.

angrycandy likes this.
  22. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

For those that aren’t pro-wrestling fans, UFC eventually buys Bellator after the network gives up on it, but ONE and other smaller promotions stay around and develop rabid cult followings, but still struggle a bit in the long run for another 15 years, until eventually breaking through to the mainstream - even having dolls at Hot Topic in 2038.

History repeats itself forever.

oldjersey likes this.
  23. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Pfffft, pro-wrestling, who wastes their time on that fake soap opera bullshit.

24. Yeah Bellator has good cards but Rory didn’t move the needle. Bendo didn’t move it. Mousasi is still only a popular name to hardcore fans

25. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I was more so commenting on the business side of things. Business is business. :shrug: