Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA • Page 117

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. currytheword

Trusted

That was easily one of the best Middleweight fights i've ever watched live. So intense. At first I really felt like Romero was under performing and wobbly, seemingly drained from the weight cut. His explosiveness in the later rounds is truly remarkable for his age. Whittaker is a warrior and a half surviving that fight with that much damage taken and a broken hand. Best fight so far this year easily.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  2. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Happy Whittaker won, it was super close, but I personally thought he did more than Yoel in a lot of those rounds.

Though, I am bias against people that come in overweight.

Colby winning pisses me off to no end, though I'm confident that Woodley can take care of him. I've never rooted for Tyron, but knocking off Colby is worth putting up with his awkward weird paranoid personality.

I'm still weirded out that Holly Holm has ANY kind of a ground game. It's still not clear to me if she's actually serviceable on the ground or if Megan truly had not prepared on any level for that.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Tremendous middleweight fight.

Colby looked great. I think Woodley knocks him out, but the lead up will be a train wreck.

Anderson had no ground game, good on Holm for taking it there.

Punk/Jackson was as bad as I thought it'd be. Jackson should have finished him, but such is life.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  4. oof, greg hardy.

5. Hardy going to the UFC smh

6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Fuck. Did he KO someone?

7. Yeeep.

Announced he’ll get a contract but it’ll be a little bit different/developmental kinda thing where he can get some more experience before making his ufc debut.

8. JESUS CHRIST. Did anyone else see Luke Rockholds shin on his IG story? What the fuck

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Can't say I wanted Hardy to win, but the contract is unsurprising.

10. Not exactly MMA related but I got my blue belt in bjj yesterday so I’m pretty stoked.

currytheword and Analog Drummer like this.
  11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Congrats! My professor always says that blue is the hardest to reach, so it's no small thing. I reached blue a while back and things start getting easier and make more sense. Be ready for all the white belts trying extra hard on you for a few weeks.

12. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Mike Jackson fired and banned from UFC. Looks like Punk may be out too, but hasn't actually been fired

13. UFC 225 only did 250k TOTAL buys. Yikes

14. ManchesterOrch8

Who’s really shocked?

Your dad wasn’t stoked on those fights, and that’s who really bumps the numbers up.

Let’s hope next year their strategy actually pushes every PPV close or over a million buys.

15. currytheword

Trusted

A shame because it was actually one of the best cards so far this year.

16. Probably the UFC after convincing themselves Punk is a draw lol

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Here’s the thing, i suspect CM Punk was a draw. He was the most google searched person on the card, which is a (crude) indicator of interest.

So, I’ve no doubt he brought in some kind of audience. Which makes these already bad numbers even worse!! Without him, this card looks like a disaster numbers wise.

18. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

These numbers are the new normal, so it's not shocking.

I'm a fan, but $65 ppv's is just getting excessive for a two to three hour event.

currytheword likes this.
  19. currytheword

Trusted

Especially when you're on the east coast, and you don't see the last two fights until near 1am.

20. ManchesterOrch8

Maybe, but I suspect they weren’t counting on the WWE bump this time around, given what happened last time.

I was excited for 90% of the card, but I watch every month regardless. I can easily see how the casual wasn’t intrigued.

Next year, reducing down to 4 PPVs, but WEEKLY events is going to be a huge change, and a whole new challenge.

slowheart likes this.
  21. Yeah I’m the same way. Have been for years. I can almost always find multiple fights on a card that I’m interested in.

Excited for less PPVs and (hopefully) more stacked PPV cards.

22. Analog Drummer

Regular

Quality and stacked-ness leading up. I’m shocked. Were people watching Crawford v Horn?

23. Analog Drummer

Regular

Offft. Ours would translate to $45 if that’s in USD

24. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah it’s pretty steap. I haven’t bought one in years but that’s mainly because I don’t have enough MMA-fan friends to make it worth it and I’m most likely doing something other than sitting around on a Saturday night anyway.