Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MMA/UFC Discussion Thread MMA

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Official MMA/UFC/Strikeforce/DREAM Discussion Thread

Fuego likes this.
  2. phaynes1

Regular

UFC 2 is incredibly fun.

Also pretty excited for Rothwell v. dos Santos in a few weeks

3. phaynes1

Regular

Jones violated his parole and was caught drag racing last night. I don't believe there's been a statement regarding 197 yet.

4. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Can we get this thread renamed to Official MMA/UFC Discussion Thread? DREAM and Strikeforce haven't been a thing in ages, and Bellator, WSOF, etc are very rarely discussed at any length.

Schooner likes this.
  5. phaynes1

Regular

@¯\_(ツ)_/¯ u got this?

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

We're not using Official at the beginning of threads since the search function actually works/more mods so it should all direct back here. Fixed the thread title as suggested. Need anything else and just let me, @Chris Yates, or @Broken Parachute know and we'll try to get it fixed.

phaynes1 likes this.
  7. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

8. Brandon Allin

Thank you!

Very cool. Sage gets a lot of flack from people online, but he comes off as a genuinely good kid that has a ton of potential in this sport. Marin is kind of a cakewalk as far as an opponent goes, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Sage can do going forward.

Schooner likes this.
  9. Brandon Allin

UFC 200, to date:

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor
    Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar (interim 145 title)
    Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne
    Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson
    Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
    Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon
    Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller
    Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marin

Excellent card so far. The UFC confirmed that Edgar/Aldo will not be the main event, so we can likely expect to see another title fight up top. Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Pena is also rumored for the event.

10. Mick

I know very little about Marin as a fighter, but I have seen a couple people say that he could be a legit challenge for Sage. They just overblowing him or underestimating Sage after the Barberena fight?

But yeah, Sage has crazy upside. Also, I want to touch his hair.

11. Brandon Allin

I've only seen a couple of Marin's fights, but he didn't look to be overly talented in any one area, nor did he appear half as physically gifted as Sage. I expect it to be a bad night for him.

Most people completely shrugged off the whole sickness thing he talked about in your interview, but if he was as sick as he says he was, that explains a lot as to why he didn't look nearly as crisp against Bryan. No disrespect to him, he fought a good fight, but I expect that at least plays out a little differently if Sage is 100% healthy.

12. Mick

Yeah, I can't believe Sage would ever agree to the fight in the first place if he was as sick as he said he is. But if he's not exaggerating about any of it, then his performance against Barberena actually becomes kind of sorta impressive.

PS — I thumb wrestled Miesha Tate the other day and now it's a video that exists on the internet.

13. phaynes1

Regular

Corey's got another big fight, excited for him

14. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

198(?) in Brazil and 200 both look absolutely loaded. I still won't buy them, I'll never do that again after wasting my money on Rashad Evans v. Bones, but I'll go somewhere that's showing them

15. Brandon Allin

Cool for your guy, but I think he lost that last one. Nonetheless, looking forward to the fight.

16. Is Lawler fighting at 200? I want a Condit rematch.

17. Brandon Allin

Frankie/Aldo isn't the co-main, so you've got to assume another title fight is going to fill that void. Bound to be a Lawler, RDA, or Tate defence.

18. phaynes1

Regular

Oh I completely agree haha. He kinda got worked. I was surprised. Laughed when I saw him go on one over it on Twitter.

19. Brandon Allin

Haha. Curious to see how he fares in May. Shogun has declined rapidly, so it should be an interesting fight, but man is that ever gonna be a hostile environment to fight in there. Shogun is a hero in Curitiba.

20. Brandon Allin

Cormier injured. Fucking shit.

Hopefully Rumble gets the call.

21. phaynes1

Regular

Oh hell

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Busy as hell today and out of the loop, didn't even see that Cormier was injured. That blows. We were so close.

In a perfect world, we could get Jones vs. Rumble since that's the fight that was supposed to happen before Jones was forced to vacate, but I wouldn't blame anyone in the world for not wanting to fight Rumble on short notice.

23. Brandon Allin

I wouldn't blame Jones for not taking a short notice bout with Rumble, but at the same time, he turned down a short notice bout against Chael Sonnen of all people, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wouldn't even consider it.

Another thought, I wonder what Alexander Gustafsson is up to. I'd prefer the Rumble fight right now, but a Gus rematch certainly wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

24. Brandon Allin

Rumble has apparently been offered the fight. We'll see.

25. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I had in my head that Jones would be hesitant to fight Rumble, but I didn't consider Rumble's point of view. A fight against arguably the P4P great on short notice and not even for a belt is a tough call. Especially considering Johnson is already next in line to fight the winner for the belt and will have to cut a lot of weight, most likely.

Maybe Gus is the way to go here. I feel like a situation like this is the only thing that's going to put him in title contention after coming up short against the top three guys.