Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Misogyny in the Scene. Still. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

People often use "its not just this scene!" To deflect I think is what @Nick is getting at

Fun AP/ chorus common deflections:

"It's not just this scene! Its everywhere/ I'm tired of rap getting a pass on this site!"

"It's this generation and their entitlement!"

"When I was younger my fave bands wouldn't have ever done these things! There were ethics!" (Spoiler alert: there just wasn't social media and text screenshots)

It's sad that this continues to happen. I think things are slowly changing re: general awareness but it's just ridiculous that it's still even going on. Sucks that shows should be a place where you can let go and feel safe and instead ppl gotta be on alert

phillyfradet, carina, Robk and 7 others like this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

what @Kiana said. it's often a tactic to deflect the issue at hand. it does happen everywhere, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this article which was written about the music scene.

hypernights. and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  3. Saephon

Regular

I regret to say that my girlfriend and I encountered a lot of this behavior at the Brand New/Modest Mouse show in Chicago. We got there early so we could be up front near the band for the first time in years (I'm getting old, my poor knees!). Our intention was to have a good time and be close to the action with all the other dedicated fans, since the band won't be around much longer.

Instead what we got was drunken assholes shoving and kicking each other, people being dispresectful towards women in the crowd - and this didn't just come from guys, girls were doing it to other girls too. A lot of name calling, groping, and immature behavior. Really soured the whole experience. My girlfriend has told me on several occasions that she doesn't think she likes other Brand New fans very much, and now I see why. I get a lot of enjoyment from discussing their music on a forum like this, but in person at a show, I feel like I no longer can relate to these people. I can't tell if the scene is getting worse or if I'm just now noticing it more. What I do know is that I will be going back to hanging out at the back of the venue again. Shitty people are shitty.

4. jellyfishfossil

Regular

why does stuff like this happened in the warped tour scene? Is it because there are a lot of vulnerable fans in the scene? Do the guys in the scene not have a sense of integrity and, if so, why? I don't understand it.

If someone tried pulling this stuff at the local shows I went to, he wouldn't make it out of the venue.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I understand exactly what you mean and unfortunately I don't think it's Brand New fans in particular as much as it is the music scene as a whole. My girlfriend and I went to see The Front Bottoms and Say Anything and encountered the same things. The Front Bottoms of all bands, had "bros" trying to be tough and shoving people the whole set, trying to start pits and be aggressive, it was ridiculous. We ended up at the back of the venue to watch the performance because it just made it impossible to enjoy the show otherwise.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Probably a combination of vulnerability of young women and perceived anonymity

7. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I don't want to believe some of the things she quoted because of how stupid and awful they are, but unfortunately I do believe that people within the scene are that stupid and awful.

Glad this is getting the signal boost it needs / deserves, I hope someday we don't have to deal with this anymore, but until that day comes it is everyone's problem, not just women.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  8. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

To expand upon this- the last time I saw TFB, I literally spent the entire show shuffling smaller teenage girls away from aggressive men, putting them in front of me at the barrier to shield them from the utter ridiculousness behind me, and at one point literally threatening a man to stop him from putting his hands on one of my friends again. The last time I saw Say Anything (on the Mobo tour), I pretended to be a girl's friend to get her out of a conversation with two men who had cornered her demanding to know if she was alone and if she would like to "hang out" with them during the show. During that shame show, another man tried to climb up the heads of a group of 4 teenage girls next to me, groping at them as he went, so I grabbed his shirt and threw him to the ground.

This shit is everywhere and I am tired.

9. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Shit like this makes me ashamed of my gender sometimes. Those type of males are not 'men', they are disgusting bro dudes. Common decency is still a thing, practice it. What makes you so special to treat anyone, woman or not like that? Women and men alike have equal ability to do things and feel things and hold certain skills, and they should be treated like that not patronized because you want a laugh from your bros or some ancient archaic mindset. I've been to plenty of shows where I've seen this behavior, and I do my best to speak up or diffuse the situation. Got me decked in the face at one show once and I'd do it again

10. Kiana Aug 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2016)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I encounter lil things at like every show but when I saw brand new, man. The fans surpassed any other I'd seen in terms of being jerks that push and shove women with no regard or respect. I don't know if it's just the worship ppl have for them so they're more intense or what, but it was years ago before the huge demand to see them back before their shows sold out so quickly so idk if their fanbase was so intense yet or not. Idk but it was not enjoyable. Def one of the few times I've felt physically unsafe and removed myself from the crowd. Def had a negative energy for me

Turkeylegz likes this.
  11. Rico Suave

This stuff has existed before you or I were born. I could have spared this blogger's shock and appall by stating this stuff was going to happen before she even walked through the gate. But it's just easier for some to pigeonhole as a "scene" issue in regards to the type of bands many listen to around here.

On a side note, I recall one member of the Beastie Boys clearly sticking his hand down the panties of a woman on the Licensed to Ill VHS tape many moons ago. This was of course before the Beastie Boys "matured" and yadda yadda yadda...

I can only imagine the outrage of a few select individuals around here if this happened now.

• Mod Warning: These kinds of posts are not ok on the website, please review our code of conduct.
  12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Sounds bad back then. Sounds bad now.

Zac Djamoos, Nick, PandaBear! and 5 others like this.
  13. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

So because this happens all the time no one is allowed to be upset by it?

In no way has this been pigeonholed as something specific only to this "scene" of music. The article is giving actual examples of actual discrimination, abuse, and harrassment. Not saying that it's the only place that any of this happens.

Believe it or not, women HAVE known about this for years and HAVE been speaking out. Just because you may not have heard the discourse doesn't mean it never existed. The fact of the matter is that now more people have access to communication platforms to actually express these things so it's getting more notice.

And that Beastie Boys thing sounds gross -- no matter when it happened -- and I'm not sure at all about your insinuation about "a few select individuals". Are people supposed to be okay with those actions?

14. This may surprise you, but it turns out the people existing as part of an othered group who have been on the receiving end of misogyny and sexual harassment/assault in public spaces for centuries are very much aware that it's not a new problem, do not labor under the misconception that it only exists in niche spaces, and are never shocked by it when it happens. Weird, right?

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

are we supposed to be offended that we're in a "select" group that is unhappy about the mistreatment of women? yikes.

16. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

You must be silent, silent!

NANANANANANAA music scene is still goodd NANANANAA

I can't hear you

Zac Djamoos and kaylasananjou like this.
  17. I don't have time to be offended. There are bear attacks to worry about, obv.

mercury, Zac Djamoos, carina and 2 others like this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

rico suave being awful again. pretty sure i've only ever seen him in threads about misogyny. usually being misogynistic.