Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Misogyny in the Scene. Still.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sydney Shaw, writing on her blog, highlights some of the misogyny she witnessed in our music scene while doing her job as a journalist. This description from Warped Tour made my stomach turn:

I listened to a man yell slurs at one of the female photographers shooting Yellowcard’s set. “Who’d you blow to get in front of the barrier?” he asked. “And aren’t you hot in those jeans, baby? It’s 90 degrees.”

I saw a man try to slip his hand up the shorts of a young woman crowdsurfing over him. She kicked at him when she realized what was happening and grazed the side of his face with her Converse sneaker. He clutched at the spot on his cheek and called her a “fucking bitch.” He said he hopes she gets dropped on her head.

Dominick likes this.
  2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Men can be the worst. I hate the drunk-bro frat culture at almost every concert I go to. It is even weirder when it is at a concert like The Hotelier when the music is based on a culture of acceptance.

3. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Gross

4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Damn, some of the quotes from her post are absolutely ridiculous.

5. Seems about right.

Dirty Sanchez and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Depressingly accurate

7. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Ayyyyeeep. Recently went to a show and during a VIP thing one of the band members hopped down from the stage because he recognized me and I had something for him. Afterwards I was approached by people curios about the interaction and was pretty bummed when I talked about how many shows I'd been too and how he became familiar with me when I was called "the model fangirl" in front of a group of people and everyone laughed.

8. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

This is not shocking.

This kills me. It kills me that after writing a post that lists specific encounters, doesn't come anywhere close to making sweeping generalizations, and ends on a hopeful note that things can change, that the author still got enough backlash that she had to clarify "no, not all men."

9. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

You will also find all these people on Reddit.

10. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I thought the same thing...so moronic.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

saw this earlier cuz JANK posted this on facebook (which is awesome), good article.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. doubledribble

Regular

I thought the same thing.

13. carina

yr royal highness

"Shocking" when these are pretty tame compared to some of the things most women have experienced or have heard from friends lol

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I remember going to this festival called Krockathon at 17 where it was just a bunch of radio bro rock bands and it had a station set up where guys could pay to "fingerprint" womens breasts with paint. It ended up turning into guys lining up to pay some girl $5 to grope her breasts with paint. fucked up when i think back at the shit that went on at festivals

15. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Jesus, seriously? Terrible idea.

16. Morkypep

Aint just in the music scene. It's everywhere...

17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Another in a line of articles about our experiences that people will act outraged and shocked about but still nothing will change. It's just exhausting at this point. This is happening. It's not just Reddit dudes, it's not just bad apples-- it's a culture and people you know are contributing to it, whether you like to admit it or not.

18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yeah idk why you all act like it's just on Reddit or something, it's all over this site too.

19. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Reddit's upvote system makes it more visible is all. It's definitely everywhere, yes.

inspectorkemp likes this.
  20. I just don't understand why men can be so terrible...

inspectorkemp likes this.
  21. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

So fucked every time I hear about this. I can't believe people can be this dense.

Christian Romero likes this.
  22. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Already wasn't a fan of The Story So Far, that Parker Cannon bit made me dislike them just a little more. I just keep thinking of the lyrics to that song Daughters. So gross.

23. Really, really depressing that we're still having these same discussions.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

this article is about the music scene though.

25. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

So? The fact that this is a widespread issue that women face regardless of whether it's at a music venue or not is relevant because the same misogynists at that venue will then leave the venue and continue being misogynists. This isn't a "music scene" issue, this is an issue throughout our culture and it should serve as a reminder that this is the product of our culture and collective complacency that normalizes this until scumbags like the ones described in the article decide it's okay to act this way.

phillyfradet, Rico Suave and DearCory like this.