Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Philll

Trusted

Dayglow vista -> Fooled by the Night is a killer one two punch

2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Ken and Philll like this.
  3. OMNI is def the end of a great run, I love about half of Infinity Overhead but the other half is forgettable

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I like Voids, and really like the last ep. IO I never checked out the whole thing

5. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yep

I had reservations when it dropped and the lyrics are still hard to take in spots, but in the end it was a great execution of a slightly new direction.

Almost everything that came after Omni was either uninspired, bland, or completely abandoned their strengths.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  6. Philll

Trusted

I agree that overall there was a steep decline in quality from Omni onwards, but goddamn if Infinity Overhead doesn't have some of their best songs. Steel and Blood and Diamond Lightning are magnificent.

7. Those are the only IO cuts I ever dug tbh, and even then I’d take the acoustic Diamond Lighting 10 out of 10 times over the original

Similar situation with Voids for me — Last Kiss and Invisible both really do it for me but I can’t really fuck with anything else on it at all

Philll and Gianni28 like this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

"Diamond Lightning" is alright, I liked "Toska". That album and Voids just feel so bland and lifeless compared to everything that came before it. The EP wasn't bad though.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  9. Gianni

Trusted

I fucking love this band. Looks like most of ya'll feel about the same during their '10s run. I loved loved Omni even with its 'cheesy' lyrics. Slotting Broken China in there maybe as track 9 (not removing anything) elevates it even more.

Agreed with IO and Voids both having just a handful of stellar tracks. The track "Fair Enough" from the 2018 EP they released when they announced their breakup is another high-point. In fact I like to think of it as a great swansong track for them. The lyrics are probably about a girl, but could also be interpreted as falling "out of love" with being in that band.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I think Steel, Lies and Eyes, and Diamond Lightning are great. Zeroes, Lonely Gun, and Cold Company I think are pretty good too.

Philll, waking season and Gianni28 like this.
  11. Was feeling jealous about OMNI getting a fun variant repress since my copy is just that first black pressing, but huge no thanks at only offering bundles. $45 before shipping is more than enough to quell that temptation lol

12. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Cold Company RIPPED live. I never liked how they played Steel and Blood about 15 BPMs faster than the album - it lost it's groove completely.

waking season likes this.
  13. Tyler

Regular Supporter

You can buy them separately.

Dangerbird US

14. Ahh I must have just not clicked around enough, only saw the shirt bundles

Well fuck, now I have decisions to make

waking season likes this.
  15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Might have to grab OMNI

16. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Love that OMNI pressing and the shirt, I might need to grab both.

Also, how do we get their music in spatial audio?

17. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I was pumped for Steel and Blood based on live leaks, but the production and studio vocals bogged it down. It's decent.

Diamond Lightning was textbook "cool idea, lazily executed" IMO. Hell of a chorus that they surrounded with uninspired fluff.

I still maintain Voids was a bounceback from IO, even if not up to par with earlier work. Fundamentally, I think they just abandoned their mathy origins and cool guitar work way too much after Omni.

LightWithoutHeat and cherrywaves like this.
  18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I kinda use to know how to play Cold Company on bass thanks to Rocksmith, that’s all I got for IO

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I think you can combine the Voids and the last EP into a very good album

20. amorningofsleep

It's a disgrace I don't already have OMNI. Need to grab this.

21. amorningofsleep

Also "Lucky Ones" is a top tier MtB song for me.

Pepetito and Philll like this.
  22. VOIDS is pretty easily their worst imo

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Didn’t Bayles leave after MEO? Hence why they moved away from some of their mathy-er sound maybe.

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Like I know he was the keyboardist, but still some of those synth lines he would lay down were insane. So his departure was kinda a big deal. Again I adore OMNI

25. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

If you replace a few of the duds on Voids with the latest EP its a damn good album.
    1. Last Kiss
    2. Viaduct
    3. Call the Cops
    4. Invisible
    5. What about the Boat
    6. Silver
    7. Fair Enough
    8. Dinosaur
    9. Robotic Heart
    10. Lighthouse

christsizedshoes likes this.