Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear - Voids (March 3, 2017) Album • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 8, 2017.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I'd take Omni over it and I was a p staunch IOH defender but yeah this isn't really that bad. Put it in with the rest of their catalog and hit shuffle and I'd be happy.

It's getting close to Menos El Oso weather time!

KidLightning likes this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Solid 7.5/10 album.

Love that solo in Silver.

KidLightning likes this.
  3. I have not had the interest to give this another go, there's just been so many great releases in the past couple months

truelovewaits likes this.
  4. Gooddayz

always and forever

I heard Voids again recently since like April. I've probably heard this album six or so times now and the other day it was so underwhelming. I initially thought it was better than IO, but after hearing that again too now I'm not so sure.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. Yeah I've come back to this like zero times haha. Seeing them in May playing a set that was heavy on this record seemed to turn me off of it even more.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  6. circasurviver

Trusted

Yeah I've always liked IO better, but they are both pretty underwhelming. I fear they peaked with POI and it's all down hill from there.
    I enjoyed Lost Loves and the Acoustic albums more than the last 3 LPs.

7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I still really enjoy Omni.
    Everything since has just been OK. Nothing stand out really.

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I really enjoy Infinity Overhead too. Listing might be my favorite MtB song. Lies and Eyes. Diamond Lightning. Cold Company. All great.

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

OMNI love for life

trevorshmevor and Gooddayz like this.
  10. OMNI is really fun and different. Infinity Overhead is spotty, but definitely more memorable and with higher highs. This is the first MTB album that I feel is a true disappointment...the lows are low and aside from a couple standouts, the bulk of it feels like filler. It's an album on autopilot.

CoffeeEyes17 and Ken like this.
  11. christsizedshoes

Trusted

It's definitely been a slow slide since POI. Omni was pretty good, but the last two are largely forgettable. Not sure Voids is any more underwhelming than Infinity, though.

12. circasurviver

Trusted

Everything up to POI - great
    Omni - good
    IO - ok
    Voids - gosh I don't want to say bad because I really love this band but...

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. This is only bad in the context that we know what this band is capable of. The album itself is fine; it's completely listenable. But if this were another band's debut, I wouldn't think twice about not coming back to it.

Joe4th likes this.
  14. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Exactly. I still really enjoy IO. But this is just... average. Disappointing from them.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. circasurviver

Trusted

That's a great point, I'm being overly harsh on them. I legitimately enjoy half the songs on the album and What about the Boat is like one of my favorite songs of the year. Plus that last minute of Lighthouse is so cool, it proves they still have that magic in them

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. I don't think you're being overly harsh! My review of this album was not positive, haha. Some people might argue that it's not fair to call this a fine album but a bad MTB album, but in the context of their discography, it really is just completely underwhelming. That's okay; it took them five good to great albums to really slip up. It happens. But it'd silly not to consider all of that when critically analyzing this album.

Joe4th and circasurviver like this.
  17. Gooddayz

always and forever

I remember at first I thought your review was a bit harsh, but now I'm agreeing with it more and more. Saying this album is the band on autopilot is spot on. I remember reading somewhere of them saying how proud they are of this album and now I'm like crap. I don't want them to continue in this direction

Aaron Mook and circasurviver like this.
  18. circasurviver

Trusted

I remember I had clicked on your review before listening to album just to see how it was recommended. When I saw that Do not recommend I was thinking "but it's MTB! This guy can't know what he's talking about." Then after hearing the album I went back and actually read the review and thought "yep I agree with everything he's saying." Haha

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. I've literally gone back and forth so many times with myself wondering if I should change it to a "Neutral" recommendation, but idk, there's probably a reason I haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll revisit this tonight and decide once and for all.

20. I'll always hate the idea of writing something negative about a band I love, but I gotta try and keep myself honest

circasurviver likes this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I still love a lot of stuff on this, but it's certainly a middle of the road MtB album.

circasurviver likes this.
  22. circasurviver

Trusted

I've told friends about a lot of albums this year, and have posted a bunch of songs on my Facebook that I've been into. Though I didn't do any of that for voids, so for me I literally did not recommend this album. So I think your choice was fitting from where I stand.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. Philll

Trusted

Completely relate to the feeling of denial over this album. Their last two albums have definitely been underwhelming, which is frustrating coz Steel and Blood, Lies and Eyes, Diamond Lightning, Last Kiss, Silver, they're all top tier mtb songs. They can still crank out fantastic tunes, but the albums as a whole have had some clunkers. I don't like to think of this band as having peaked, but...

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. If you take the best songs from this and Infinity Overhead, you have a top-tier Minus the Bear album. Might make a new playlist-album called Infinity Void haha

Gooddayz, CoffeeEyes17 and Philll like this.
  25. Philll

Trusted

I'd be interested to see that tracklist! Throw in Lucky Ones from Lost Loves and I've no doubt you could make a killer album from these tracks.

Aaron Mook likes this.