Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear - Voids (March 3, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 8, 2017.

1. sukottokairu

Regular

that review was a bit harsh, but i can see people taking that from the album. it took quite a few listens to get used to the mood and production of this one, but there's a lot of details that make the album jump up a few ranks once you can find them.

2. Invisible into What About The Boat? Into Silver is tremendous

And Lighthouse is a fantastic closer

Obviously this doesnt reach the highs of Highly Refined or Menos or even Planet Of Ice but this is on par or better than the Omni and Infinity Overhead

3. circasurviver

Trusted

Starting to enjoy this. I wish some of the songs were just instrumental, the lyrics bring a few of them down a notch.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. Omni is a top three MTB album for me, this is pretty easily their weakest imo but that goes without saying

trevorshmevor likes this.
  5. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Just seemed like they had run out of gas with all the things they had been through making this album and the negative reviews it's getting, but their latest Instagram post indicates very much the opposite.

Aaron Mook and beachdude42 like this.
  6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Well I'm glad they're not breaking up at least :)

elphshelf and Aaron Mook like this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

After my third listen I'm still really digging this. Tamed Beasts is great, and I love the solo in Silver.

8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The solo in Silver is pure Planet of Ice and I love it

Cameron likes this.
  9. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Really enjoying this. Certainly not their best album but I'm enjoying it leagues more than IO after 5+ listens.

10. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Running through it for the first time right now. Pretty good. Still not as good as their earlier albums but better than the last couple.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

This is my first time listening to MTB. Enjoyed it quite a bit but liked planet of ice more. Ideas of where to go from here or a general consensus on each album?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Planet of Ice is my favorite but consensus is Highly Refined Pirates. Check out Highly Refined Pirates and then Menos el Oso. Highly Refined Pirates has some really inventive guitar work and Menos el Oso uses a lot of interesting delay/loop pedal parts.

Aaron Mook and Transient_Hymn like this.
  13. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, as someone whose favorite is POI by a small margin, i would say that HRP and MEO are more technically impressive.

Honestly, the MEO sessions/era were probably their best. The only reason the LP falls a bit short of POI is that they spent too many of their best songs on the Beer Commercials EP. Song-for-song, that EP is the best release of their career, IMO.

14. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Awesome, then that is where I'll begin. Thanks guys. I perused some songs off infinity and was split on em, so I'm excited to check those out then.

Ryan Garner likes this.
  15. Transient_Hymn

Planet of Ice is peak for me.

Omni is in a different genre almost.
    I'd put the newest as the best combo of styles.

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Been meaning to check out this band and always procrastinated on it, and I finally went through the discography today. It's crazy how much my thoughts were opposite of the consensus; I really disliked the first two, Planet of Ice was ok, really liked Omni, and enjoyed Infinity Overhead too. I haven't checked out this new one yet, but now I'm very interested to see how my opinion lines up with the rest of you.

whitenblue88 likes this.
  17. Transient_Hymn

Not rightfully so, I think this is a band that your favorite record will be when you got into them. I started at planet of ice when it came out. Worked back. Then loved Omni because it was different.

They were so good at their sound...that you love...that anything outside of that has most lurkers. It hit the itch

FTank likes this.
  18. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This album is so much better than the credit it's been getting. Only track I'm not sold on is Erase. Really digging everything else though.

19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I agree. Planet of Ice is the first in their discography I enjoy at all, and OMNI is their peak for me.

With that in mind, you'll probably enjoy the new one.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

On first listen, I thought some songs were quite good but the whole thing blended together more than I would've liked. Though, I'm sure songs will differentiate themselves more with additional listens.

21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I've started to really like this. It's certainly better than IoH which tbh is all I was hoping for.

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, this is good. Besides Tamed Beasts. Tamed Beasts is bad.

23. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Oh god I legit forgot this came out. Not to be an ass or anything it grew on me a bit but I've just been interested in other releases.

24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

this is a post I agree with v much

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

historically this is the the time of year I listen to minus the bear the most and I'm glad this grew on me the amount it has in time for this weather. infinity overhead was one of the most disappointing records in recent memory. I think this is better than omni, too.