Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear - Voids (March 3, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I totally forgot about Surf n Turf I dig that tune.

2. sukottokairu

Regular

For those who listened to Voids once or twice and dismissed it, spend some more time with it, this one's definitely a grower, and there's a lot of little details to find in all of the songs, the mix can make some things hard to pick out but as you notice more in each song, it really all comes together!

someone asking about vocals, i think the keyboardist does a decent amount of backup vocals, and it sounds good, it's not overpowering or anything, compliments everything else nicely. i think i read an article that said the keyboardist is doing "lead vocals" on a few songs... that is definitely not the case, doesn't feel like anything is trying to overtake jake's vocals.

KidLightning likes this.
  3. I'm pretty sure one of the songs was sung by a different member but I'd have to listen again to remember which one it was

4. christsizedshoes

Trusted

circasurviver likes this.
  5. circasurviver

Trusted

Ok cool. I read other members sing, and Weezer's Red album popped in my head. Though I know it wouldn't be that bad.

truelovewaits likes this.
  6. circasurviver

Trusted

7. sukottokairu

Regular

I read that too and tried really hard to listen, but it still sounds like mostly Jake, but with Alex harmonizing. I could be wrong, but the interview sounds kind of misleading, I think Alex wrote all the lyrics and melodies for those songs but it still has both of them singing on it, based on the way he answered the questions. Either that or, they both do sound almost exactly alike. I suppose we will find out for sure once they play some new stuff on the Voids tour!

KidLightning likes this.
  8. christsizedshoes

Trusted

This is growing on me some. It's at least on par with IO at this point, maybe a hair above it. "Silver" has been in my head nonstop all week (my only knock is it sounds so much like POI that I bet it's actually a leftover from that era). "Give & Take" is really one of their best groovy tracks, too.

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I really like this album.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The end of Lighthouse is euphoria.

11. sukottokairu

Regular

listening more and getting to know the album. it's great! and i think i can pick out the keyboardist's voice now, its subtly different and he does sing a lot of lead vocals on those songs. it sounds good though and both of them singing together is amazing!

12. circasurviver

Trusted

I'm so looking forward to this!

13. submitting my review of this now

Cameron likes this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Awesome I'll be excited to read.

This album has really grown on me. What About the Boat?, Tame Beasts, and Ligthouse have all made the later half feel robust.

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Honestly I like Robotic Heart too.

16. You might not like it, haha. But I present a case and it would be weird for me to positively review something after only really liking pieces. Still love the band and will happily listen to anything they put out.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

mook with the debut of "do not recommend"

Drew Beringer and FTank like this.
  18. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Somewhat harsher than I would've been, but there's not a lot I can disagree with on individual points.

I think IO was more ambitious and tried more new things, but I have to admit that for me, most of those experiments were failures and resulted in skippable tracks. This record plays it safer, which isn't necessarily good, but I think I still find a greater number of songs on Voids enjoyable enough to keep listening to. There just aren't any truly exciting, best-of-career tracks (although "Call the Cops" is close, for me).

19. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Really hope these guys aren't about to hang it up. This would be a stinker album to close the book with.

20. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I find this a far more interesting album than Omni and IO. Both of which I really like (especially with Omni being my full introduction to the band).

I'm about to be on an 11 hour flight to Jordan, so I am going to listen to the shit out of this.

21. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

What makes you think they might?

22. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

Still haven't received my vinyl.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  23. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I like this more than I thought I was going to.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  24. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really enjoying this.