Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear - Voids (March 3, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Listened to this twice today and I think it's real good (my dog liked it too, he sang along to a few tracks).

I think it takes the better elements of their last 2 records and mixes in a hint of their older sound, but it doesn't sound like a rehash of their previous work.

Deathco_019 likes this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Lyrics are still classic Jake where they're either just average or reeeeeal bad. He had his moments but from what I got from these two listens he's just kind of there lyrically and vocally.

Instrumentally on the other hand they sound like they're having a lot of fun

3. Deathco_019

Drummer

I've always come to this band for the music and the melodies much more than the lyrics.

This album is pretty solid though. I agree that it continues in the direction of their last album. I'd say it's a step up from their last two

4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Yeah, lyrically not much has really struck me since Planet of Ice, and vocally he's always been fine–never really great but never terrible–but instrumentally this is quite enjoyable. And I mostly listen to MTB for the instrumentals.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah Menos and Planet have some cool moments lyrically but MTB is very much a music band kinda like Circa Survive to me

6. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Jake's vocals have been kinda rough starting with Infinity. Not that they were ever exceptional or the focal point for this band's sound, but yeah.

"Silver" is a cool throwback to the POI vibe. I'm still hearing a lot of IO-like tracks here dominated by the cheesy synth/dance stuff and completely missing any math rock elements, though. (I don't mind their synth-heavy stuff on Omni because it still had some intrigue and mathiness to it).

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

To those that have listened: is "Invisible" the obvious first single choice?

8. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

This is pretty good.

(
    Not really, the album is pretty balanced all the way through, it doesn't really stick out as being poppier the rest or anything.

9. sukottokairu

Regular

first impression was, sounds cool but the mixing and production sounds very... generic new wave indie pop? lots of reverb and stuff being drowned out and noisy for no good reason. but, personally i don't hear a ton of infinity overhead here, i hear it more as... omni meets menos el oso. there's a good amount of guitar sampling and tapping, but also a lot of simplistic riffs and focus on groove. i'ts growing on me quick though, and although the songwriting is a little more straightforward, there's some solid stuff here, nothing i'd say is bad or forgettable, and a couple standout tracks (last kiss, silver, and robotic heart are great). there's some variety to the record so that is nice. really wondering how i will feel about this one in about a month, it's not a super immediate album for me, but could see it as a big grower.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Have to check this out.

11. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

First impressions, this is good. Haven't really been blown away by them since POI, so it's insane to me that the album is turning 10 this year. So it's been 10 years since this band has blown me away but still managed to stay solid. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. Otherwise, I will have to listen again to make some more informed decisions on its overall impact.

12. Damn, this leaked early. Hmmm.

13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Another meh album. Really haven't been into these guys for a long time now.

14. Aaron Mook Feb 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2017)
    something about the vocals on this seems...off.

15. My least favorite since Planet of Ice, just can't get through it. I'll try again in a month or so.

CoffeeEyes17 and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. Yeah, this might actually be my least favorite MTB album. They're very capable as a band and this, aside from a few highlights, feels very safe - as if they took Infinity Overhead and just threw in a few mathier riffs to appease fans. And there's something strange about the mix that I just can't put my finger on yet. I'll keep listening because I enjoy the band plenty, but right now, this just feels adequate. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gotta wonder if it's the band or if it's me.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  17. CoffeeEyes17

A couple more spins and yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired. I think if I were to make a playlist of MTB songs and hit shuffle I'd be fine with these songs sense, like Mook said, its basically IO with some more interesting instrumentation and I liked IO so I'm cool with the songs themselves. But 10 of these songs in a row is just bleh, especially when Jake sounds as bored as ever and again the lyrics are just kind of there to hang the melodies on. The mix also sounds off to me but maybe its the leak.

it says a lot when the best thing this band has released in years was that b-sides compilation.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. christsizedshoes

Trusted

So apparently there's a new vocalist on some of the tracks? I didn't even notice until I read it somewhere today, though I can tell now. "Call the Cops" is one of 'em.

But yeah, your description of taking IO and tweaking a few songs in a forced way is dead on the money. I mean, I still like about half the album, but it certainly doesn't overperform expectations in any way.

Also, it is blowing my mind that Jason apparently found IO > POI, haha.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. That's ... Not what I said!?

Least favorite since POI. I like this less than the last two. Which I liked less than POI.

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  20. CoffeeEyes17

Of the last 3 is Omni your favorite? I remember you had good things to say about it on AP.

21. Yeah. I'd say that's right.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

So far, liking this much more than Infinity.

23. I'd say I like OMNI better than IO and than this as well. I think OMNI is more interesting as a full-on pop album than these last two have been as pop-rock hybrids. Plus the hooks on OMNI are stellar and its production is perfect for that sound.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  24. trevorshmevor Feb 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2017)
    First impressions of this were not strong. Zoned out a lotttt. Will give it some time and return to it later.

25. That little vocal run in the verses of Invisible always reminds me of part of the hook in a Lupe Fiasco song haha. I can never unhear it

It appears first around :35