Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minus the Bear – VOIDS • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 2, 2017.

1. The more I think about this, though, the more I realize that the main reason I'm questioning it is because they're a band I really like. That doesn't mean I should give them a pass and that's okay. Honestly, expectations have a lot to do with it. I've written "Neutral" reviews in the past for albums that weren't great but were at least interesting to me and kept me coming back. I don't think this album is horrible, but I also don't think it's either of those things.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, comparisons to bands like Two Door are way off. You have to go into it realize you're not going to get Menos or Pirates part 2. But in my opinion, there's some stuff on here that's some of their best work in a long time. "Silver" is one of the best songs they've written in years.

ohitsjustrob and Crisp X like this.
  3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I stood at the shelves in a record store on the weekend debating whether I wanted to buy the album. I thought about all of their vinyl I already owned (and questioned whether I needed more), I thought about this review, I quickly scanned a few other reviews, and ultimately decided to leave the store without it. There are extenuating reasons as to why it was going to be a pain if I bought a record at the time anyway - but what I realized is that I'm not sure what album from Minus the Bear I'm hoping for or expecting anymore, and that I'm likely going to be disappointed no matter what - through maybe no fault of theirs. I may still end up buying Voids, and I know they'll always be amazing live (I'm hoping to see the tour in a few weeks), but they're definitely a band in which expectations and high standards for them influences my perception of new music.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. ohitsjustrob

"The only truth is music." Supporter

Almost 6 years later and this album has grown on me tremendously. I think the only song I could consider a dud is “Call the Cops” and there are some things on that song I like, but definitely doesn’t fit in as well with all the other tracks I feel

5. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

There is a good short album out of combining and cutting up voids and the subsequent EP.

1. Last Kiss
    2. Invisible
    3. What about the Boat
    4. Silver
    5. Fair enough
    6. Viaduct
    7. Dinasaur
    8. Erase
    9. Lighthouse

ohitsjustrob likes this.
  6. ohitsjustrob

"The only truth is music." Supporter

I would add Tame Beasts and I feel that would be a great mix of it.

Pepetito likes this.