Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) Location • Page 58

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Marx&Recreation Apr 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2021)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah if he walks then it won’t be because there was any actually convincing evidence that justifies an acquittal. It would just be that they got the luck of the draw and found some juror who was never going to convict in the first place

I also don’t think there’s any good legal explanation for why he would only get manslaughter but not the other charges. The defense against all the charges is essentially the same, so if they don’t buy it for manslaughter then there’s no reason it would stick for 2d murder.

So I guess I could imagine, if the jurors gets really tense and conflicted, that they propose manslaughter not because of any legal reasoning but just as a middle ground to get a potential Blue Lives guy on board? Idk.

I also see people freaking out about the possibility of a mistrial being declared on appeal between the settlement announcement and the Daunte Wright protests and the Maxine Waters comment. I find that extremely unlikely. It’s not like the jury had no knowledge of the broader context of this case before, as if they had no idea what happened last May. Whatever external pressures exist for the jury now also existed before all of that stuff. They understood this going in and still were still very explicit that they felt they could be impartial. Even if that’s bullshit, it’s also not a very convincing argument for the defense to say that essentially *no* jury could have been impartial.

Also a hung jury is not the same as walking btw. It just means that the prosecution gets a chance to try again. With smaller cases they do choose to dismiss occasionally, but this is both a murder and internationally covered. They would be out of their minds to not re-try it.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  2. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I'm like 99% sure Chauvin will go free, and they'll try to convince everyone he'll be fine cause "his life/career is ruined" and that's punishment enough.

Symbolically it'd be nice to see him convicted, but for every cop that gets convicted, a thousand walk free, so it doesn't really mean much. It's gonna be bad either way, and the fact there's even contention over whether or not he'll be convicted is a loss in-and-of-itself.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  3. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Exactly this.

4. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Im worried for fear of if he is found not guilty, then the rioting will begin - everywhere.

5. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I’m still in shock.

Proud of the city and the jurors who knew history was watching. This isn’t justice and it’s barely accountability. The whole policing system is still totally broken. But people are celebrating and joyful today, and after the last year (or four) that we’ve had, it feels incredible when that dopamine hits.

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the real test will be what his sentencing is.

7. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Idk I can see the judge giving him a pretty harsh sentence. If I was the judge I would easily justify it on the basis that he is a cop - that he knew better and betrayed his oath and destroyed the people’s trust in the system, etc etc etc. At least, that would be my justification if I was Cahill lol

Plus the more Chauvin is punished, the more likely it makes people feel like the system actually does work. He’s like a sacrificial lamb to try to placate all the people who are begging for an excuse to waive away complaints that more fundamental, broader change needs to happen

8. SUNI. LEE.

9. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

10. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Fuck now I really gotta find my card again

coleslawed likes this.
  11. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Hell yeah now I’ll feel better about going to the waxahatchee show next month

coleslawed and popdisaster00 like this.
  13. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

considering the risk is greater than zero even with those precautions you should probably stay home if you have an IC family member.

14. Silentjury

Regular

fredwordsmith and thethingis like this.
  15. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

I was able to find it but good looking out

GrantCloud likes this.
  16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

An online database is really the best way forward. Attached to your drivers license. You’re going to need it in the venues to buy drinks or pick up will call tickets anyway. If they scan code on the back and you’re not vaccinated or don’t have a similarly online verified negative test, get lost.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

PHOEBE

18. PHOEBE

My gf couldn’t make it, we had tix to the show that was gonna be tomorrow but she’s out of town today. She’s v sad but I wasn’t missing it lol. Grabbed a couple beers now I’m waiting in the mile long merch line ope

I’m wearing a tank top that has a devil guy fieri on it if anyone needs someone to slam a brewdog/cry with!

Blink182Bouncer and GrantCloud like this.
  19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Broooo I’m in line rn too lol I’ll Keep an eye out, I’m wearing a Patagonia jacket and a tan hat with a Native American on it lol

20. (I should’ve checked before standing in line because they didn’t even have the shirt I wanted hahah)

GrantCloud likes this.
  21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

the skeleton one?? My partner wants that, I’m trying to get the fuck Phoebe bridgers sweater

22. Yeah that skeleton long sleeve where she’s a smashing the guitar is what I was wanting That sweater is v sick tho!!

GrantCloud likes this.
  23. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I'm here too, and was near the front of the pit, but I'm tired & hungry as hell, so now I'm hanging at the benches near the back!

24. Anyone have some kind of progressive guide to everything on the ballot next month? I haven't had a ton of time to dive into everything yet, would love something that highlights the best leftist candidates, etc.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  25. sheila for mayor!

what ward do you live in?

GrantCloud and Danny like this.