Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) Location • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Don't technically live in the cities anymore. Bought a house in the Burbs with my wife (Shoreview/Circle Pines area) Work in DT mpls though and lived in St Paul for a few years after college.

2. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

went to the herkimer today for lunch for a beer/burger, i love that place as it reps wisconsin sports, haha.

but if anyone is interested a couple buddies and i play basketball sunday afternoons in the calhoun/uptown area. generally a park at i think 35th/xerxes? but we do rotate a bit as we get fed up with the double rims there, haha.

3. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Moving to Minneapolis at the end of the summer for grad school - I've spent a fair amount of time here in my life and briefly lived outside of St. Paul, but never lived in Minneapolis proper.

Anyways, looking at apartments later today in Como, Elliot Park, and Loring Park. Anyone have any insight on these neighborhoods? (Particularly the latter two)

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've never lived in Loring Park per se, but I know the area itself is awesome. Great access to both downtown Minneapolis, and the Walker Art Museum is right across the highway (accessed via a walking bridge). Nice little restaurants and cafes in that area as well

5. GhostOverground

I lived in Loring Park during undergrad at the U. It was cool that you're close to everything (e.g. Lakes, uptown, downtown) and there are some cool restaurants/bars that are on the North side of the park (4 bells is my favorite of them). The only thing I didn't like is that I kind of felt I was in no man's land between Uptown and Downtown. That was very minor overall though, great place to live. I lived in the building with the Dunn Bros, which was awesome, especially in the winter. Also, if you have a car, get a parking spot in LP, street parking is awful.

GrantCloud likes this.
  6. Which school are you doing your grad program at? St. Thomas?

I haven't lived in any of the above neighborhoods but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Loring Park. Easy access to downtown, uptown, etc. I feel like Como is great if you're an undergrad at the U, but I could be wrong.

7. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

i actually lived in the brick building across the parking lot from dunn brothers up until last fall, haha.

but yes, LP is nice as it is centrally located between downtown/uptown. but i second if you have a car you should look into getting a parking spot as if you leave your place after say dinner time you will most likely have to park a couple blocks from your place. but there is a lot of transit that runs around that area it is easy to bus from LP.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Oh and btw, if you're into running, I'm part of a running group that leaves from Brits Pub on Mondays at 6pm and runs through Loring Park, on our way to Lake of the Isles and back

9. thethingis

I'm in that Dunn Bros now waiting for my next showing haha. Hoping to not have a car but depends on the job situation.

U of M. That was my impression of Como too, I have some friends that live there and I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm not dying to perpetuate my undergrad lifestyle.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

10. I work at the U. Which program are you in?

11. thethingis

Urban and Regional Planning. You?

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Haha, I'm at the Humphrey right now doing a Public Policy masters; just finished my first year in May

13. thethingis

Haha holy shit, congrats.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  14. alex miller

Regular

I'm moving to Minneapolis tomorrow, really looking forward to it but I've never been there besides for my job interview (and I won't know a soul). I was told to look for a place in Uptown and was wondering what people think of the area. I've also heard nice things about Loring Park which I see mentioned above.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

(I'm bored at work right now)

Uptown is great; it's getting more expensive, but if you can manage to get a place in that area, you should like it. It's an awesome place for anybody under 35-ish; lots of trendy bars and restaurants, with great rooftop patios that are awesome for sunsets(was just there this past Friday night). Right next to Lake Calhoun as well, which is a great lake to walk/run around; can rent kayaks and canoes on that lake as well through the summer.

alex miller likes this.
  16. alex miller

Regular

Awesome, thank you! Minneapolis sounds like a really beautiful place; I'm really looking forward to it

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  17. GhostOverground

Nice, did the same degree there myself.

Greetings fellow Humprhey-ite!

18. thethingis

19. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

St. Paul here. I'm venturing I'm one of the oldest on this board (31), but I love the Cities. Came from Iowa for my corporate job, got married, bought a house and now I've got a kid and one on the way.

Whoever said we're the best city in the Midwest is spot-on. In terms of livable spaces, healthy things to do, excellent food, culture, etc. - we're at least even with Chicago and way ahead when you factor in cost of living and the fact that we embrace our winter (NORDIC SKIING! GET INTO IT!)

I'm sure I'll see some of you youngs at the last MCS shows - I have tickets for all four nights.

alex miller, popdisaster00 and Danny like this.
  20. I just work for the Carlson School.

21. Where will you be working? Uptown is great, it's typically the first place that transplants live and is also popular with people fresh out of college who are still looking to rent. NE has also had a bit of a resurgence over the past few years though and is now being referred to as the "new" uptown. I love both areas and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

alex miller likes this.
  22. alex miller

Regular

I'm moving from Iowa too! Urbandale.

23. I'll be at the last last MCS show! Should be a great night. I have a busy week, seeing MOBO/Joyce Manor tomorrow, Against Me on Friday, and going to Wrestlepalooza on Saturday! I love living here.

GrantCloud likes this.
  24. alex miller

Regular

Awesome, thanks! I just got a job with the Vikings as a video editor. I'm stoked!

coleslawed and Danny like this.
  25. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

RAZOR RAMON!

Danny likes this.