Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) Location • Page 34

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2016.

1. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Ugh! Wish I saw this sooner! Hope it kicked butt

2. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

It was so great :D

3. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

Hey everyone, so I just found this thread. Originally from Pennsylvania, currently in North Carolina.. Strongly considering a move to Minneapolis. Was curious about some things: What is best\worst thing about MN? Is it really hard to meet new people (keep reading "Minnesota nice")? Is the cold really THAT cold? Any tips are appreciated.

4. Things I love about MN and the Twin Cities in particular:
    -Great culture (friendly, liberal/progressive)
    -Great access to parks and lakes
    -Affordable
    -Great restaurants, bars, and breweries
    -Major sports in your back yard (Vikings, Twins, Wild, etc.)
    -Decent music scene with a handful of great venues
    -Lots of good theaters
    -MSP is big but not huge. It's not like Chicago or LA where it takes 2 hours to get across town (unless you are literally driving across opposite ends of the metro during rush hour)
    -Never too far away from cabin country, Duluth/lake superior, and other good nature spots and camping spots
    -We have a great economy, low unemployment, etc.

Bad things:
    -Yeah, it's cold. About as cold as it gets as far as the US goes. December through February can be rough, like multiple days that hover around 0 degrees. If you like skiing or snowboarding that'll help. Spring, Summer, and Fall are all beautiful and make up for it.
    -Personally I don't think it's hard to meet new people but "Minnesota Nice" is definitely a thing. I'm not a transplant so I can't really comment on that but I know some people who have moved here from other states who have a lot of friends and stay busy.
    -Public transportation is not the best. If you live in the right areas you can use buses or the light rail but otherwise a lot of people feel the need to own cars around here. All depends on where you live and work.

alex miller and coleslawed like this.
  5. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

Thank you so much for this, it's all very helpful. So it basically comes down to it's really cold, but has a lot to offer

6. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Summers are nice though

popdisaster00 and coleslawed like this.
  7. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

What would you say the ratio is? 6 months both ways? Also, Fall is my favorite, I love brisk hoodie weather, what's that like in MN?

8. April through November is dope here

coleslawed and thethingis like this.
  9. thethingis

December through February are brutal pretty much every year, June through September are pretty reliably awesome. Sometimes fall is short but it exists here, for what that's worth.

10. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

Sorry for the millions of questions. What about the music scene? Tours often in the area or skipped? Growing up 1.5hrs from Cleveland\Buffalo\Pittsburgh I rarely missed a tour, but NC gets skipped frequently.

11. We definitely get skipped more than I'd like but most tours that I want to see come through.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

also we have this great restaurant called brasa

coleslawed and alex miller like this.
  13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

and Punch Pizza
    and Blue Door Pub
    and Quixotic Coffee
    and Hi-Lo Diner
    and I'm hungry.

GrantCloud likes this.
  14. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

What is everyone's favorite brunch spot? Keys might be mine currently.

15. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

I am coming up first week of May for 4-days to get a feel for the city and see if it is where I want to relocate. Suggestions on places to go and visit, understanding I have limited time and want to get as much experience of the area to make a decision. Thanks in advance!

16. Assuming weather is nice (it should be, but you can never assume that in MN)

-Minnehaha Falls Minnehaha Park
    -Walk around Uptown Uptown, Minneapolis - Wikipedia
    -Check out Lake Calhoun Lake Calhoun - Wikipedia
    -Spend some time in the North Loop North Loop Neighborhood Map, Minneapolis, MN
    -Spend some time in NE Minneapolis Northeast travel guide - Wikitravel
    -Hit up some breweries (Surly, Indeed, Able, Dangerous Man)
    -If you like comedy, check out Acme Acme Comedy Company and Sticks Restaurant
    -Catch a show at the Triple Rock or First Ave
    -Like baseball? See a Twin's game

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

Thanks!

Is St. Paul area nice?

18. Yeah there's definitely plenty of stuff to do and see there also. I just prefer Minneapolis, but if you're looking to split your time evenly between the two cities (and mind you, they're only 10 minutes apart) I can help there too

19. alex miller

Regular

i know this gets thrown around every now and then but we should all meet up sometime. it's starting to finally get nice out again!

GrantCloud and popdisaster00 like this.
  20. Are there any shows or events coming up that a lot of us will be at? Otherwise maybe we should all hit up a bar or a park soon

21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I will be at chance the rapper and the 1975 in May, I know bunch of others will for sure be at the 1975.

Or Stanley's beer and bacon fest you can find me drinking beer and eating bacon

22. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Yee 1975 for me

23. thethingis

I'm probly not going to 1795 and I'm probly going to regret it.

24. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Is that show sold out? I might be interested in going.

25. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty sure tickets are still available in GA, Might be slim pickings for assigned seating though unless you go through a reseller.

The main floor is also GA, But the venue has an upper level with assigned seating to the back and along the sides.

lish and popdisaster00 like this.