Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) Location

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Figured it would be cool to have a thread for those of us that live in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Where are everyone's favorite places to grab some food, have some drinks, or just hang out?

hendr, GrantCloud and popdisaster00 like this.
  2. I'll kick it off and say some of my favorite places to eat are Punch, Brasa, and the Nook. A new brewery (Lake Monster) opened a few months ago and it's a five minute walk from where I live so I've been spending a lot of time there with friends.

I'm seeing Underoath tomorrow and Julien Baker next week and I couldn't be more excited for both of those shows. Also gonna be checking out the 1975 and the Hotelier (!!!) in May.

3. hallowblue

There's a monster under all this tulle;

Man, I miss living in the cities- Pizza Luce, Village Wok (for Chinese takeout late at night), Quangs, getting po-boys at the Triple Rock, Mickeys Diner at random late night hours, Taco Taxi...

I'm headed back for a weekend in June for the Motion City shows, and I'm so excited to stuff my face.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  4. Jim Morgan

Can't Hold Me Down Prestigious

I lived here for 3 years during college, and really enjoyed it. Great music scene and night life. College was dope too. McNally Smith College of Music represent!!

Danny and popdisaster00 like this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

what's up.
    I'm a Jucy Lucy believer, so Matt's Bar obviously, and for the adventurous version, Blue Door Pub. all others are cheap imitations.
    need to check out more of the taprooms in the cities, but I really liked Able when I went there. they've usually got some excellent food trucks outside, too.

missing UO tomorrow, unfortunately, but will be at Julien Baker and a few other shows these next few weeks.

6. Jim Morgan

Can't Hold Me Down Prestigious

Alarys in St Paul was also my spot.

Danny likes this.
  7. My people!!!

And I'll just put this to rest right now .. The best pizza in Minneapolis is Pizzeria Lola

GrantCloud likes this.
  8. I'll be at the 6/24 and 6/25 shows

9. hallowblue

Maybe I'll finally meet you after dodging you in the cities from 2008-2013 (before I moved to Japan)
    We used to talk sometimes on ap.net - new username here though

10. What was your old username?

11. hallowblue

maiaophilia -- I had a coraline avatar for a long time if that rings any bells.

12. Yes it does!

13. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I used to live in both cities. Does that count? Really miss The Nook. And Trung Nam's delicious banh mis.

Danny and popdisaster00 like this.
  14. Really been meaning to check out TR's po boy and Quangs. Man those MCS shows are gonna be bitter sweet, I'll be at the last one on the 28th!

Man, have you been to the Nook? I think their Lucy is much better than Blue Door's. I'll be at that Julien Baker show, just look for the guy crying his eyes out, that'll be me!
    I've been meaning to try Lola for so long now, I'll have to make the trip over soon!

15. monokit

master average

Been here way too many times but having said that, Triple Rock Po Boy is a thing to get. Very glad I saw MCS last fall before they called it a day. I think Hell's Kitchen was alright if my memory was right

16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

The Nook is definitely on my list, as is Lola. my roommate was just raving about it the other week. I also just realized Pig Ate My Pizza is just down the street from me, so I'll probably be heading there a few times this summer (screw that locarb diet I'm just starting, haha).

probably won't be able to see through my own watery eyes.

popdisaster00 and Danny like this.
  17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hello peeps! Grew up in Farmington and went to college at St. Thomas in St. Paul, so The Blue Door is my place, but lots of other great restaurants around the city. 112 Eatery, Bar La Grassa, Fogo de Chao, Mickeys Diner, etc. Did three concerts last week; Aoife O'Donovan at the Cedar, Angel Vivaldi at the Amsterdam in St. Paul, and Gary Clark Jr at First Ave. Tonight I'm hitting up Underoath at the Skyway; first time ever seeing Underoath, so pretty pumped. I've seen Caspian three times now, so really excited to check them out again, on a much bigger stage.

Doing the Goldys Run 5K this Saturday around the U of M campus

Work in downtown Minneapolis, and also doing grad school at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs

popdisaster00 and Danny like this.
  18. As much as I hate our winters, I truly believe the Twin Cities is one of the 10 best places in the country. Easily the best in the Midwest.

GrantCloud and Danny like this.
  19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I agree; our education system is great, healthcare system fantastic, most number of biking trails, tons of parks, museums, teams in all major sports leagues, great nightlife, etc. Really nowhere else in the midwest I could imagine living

20. I have my family coming down to celebrate my graduation next month and I'm supposed to pick a 'nice' place for us to go eat, can anyone help a guy out? Nothing crazy fancy or anything. I'm thinking something on the level of Bar La Grassa, which if nothing else, I'd be very happy to go to because that gnocchi is too good.

21. Bar la grassa is perfect. That's where I would go.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Bar La Grassa is great, but the owner's other restaurant, 112 Eatery, is amazing too. Burch is fantastic as well. Borough, in the north loop, I had recently and really liked it.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Howdy. I go to school at St. Olaf in Northfield.

24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

My friends are doing improv either there or Carleton very soon. Check for a group called Blackout coming to town and don't miss it!

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Will do!