Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Minari (Lee Isaac Chung, 2020) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, Jan 29, 2020.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it was everywhere dating back to the roma year. very dumb rule

2. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Best just not to care about the stupid award shows

riotspray likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

This wasn't very good. There are parts that seem genuine, and it threatens to redeem itself near the end, only for arguably the worst deus ex machina of the year coming in to wrap up the conflict.

imthesheriff likes this.
  4. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Bong knows not to care about silly local award shows. Be like Bong

coleslawed and Victor Eremita like this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and Night Channels like this.
  8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

saw this again. the tenderness in this movie feels unparalleled

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Grabbed a ticket to rewatch this on my birthday and I’m so excited!

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Reviews for this seem pretty stellar; will try watching this weekend

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just saw this and it was unbelievably good. Best movie I’ve seen in a very long time. Also, whoever said the ending is bad clearly does not understand the film.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

What didn't I understand?

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I thought the ending fit perfectly for the story

OotyPa likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The better question is what isn’t working about the ending in your opinion? I honestly couldn’t conceive of a better way to cap this beautiful story about renewal and family—unless you think the movie is not about that.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

It all plays into the minari plant and how it grows

coleslawed and OotyPa like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

As I said, the ending is a deus ex machina, and arguably it has two of them (the heart condition and the burning farm). What didn't I understand?

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That it’s based on a true story?

19. Morrissey

Trusted

No, that is pretty common knowledge. It has been mentioned in many places.

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

You lost me

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

You could argue that living in that new environment helped the kid's heart get better, or it just got better on it's own; regardless, there's no issue whatsoever how that played out. And the burning farm was just an event that happened, but then became a symbol for how the family could overcome anything. It spoke to the resilience of immigrants and their desire to make it in this country

OotyPa likes this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeah I didn’t have the capacity to explain, but youve articulated this well. My friend has a heart condition very similar to David that’s improved over time, so its not like things like that can’t happen. Also the argument that the conflict is even “resolved” is questionable in itself.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

The couple was going to separate before the fire. It isn't resilience.

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

It's a movie though, not a documentary, so yes it's a little too close between them deciding to separate and the fire happening, but it's not that far out of reality to happen. And maybe the resilience isn't speaking for the whole family, but the dad itself, in wanting to establish himself and go out away from those he knew in California and establish a farm and try to bring himself/his family up the economic ladder. And we don't even know for sure if the Mom stayed even after the fire; it doesn't really matter at that point. The Dad didn't let the fire stop him, he kept going at it, and the minari at the end symbolized the overall adaptability of people like him despite his surroundings.

Ehhh whatever, it was a good film; I liked it. Now I want some Mountain Dew.

PatRFinley likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Might want to use spoilers at this point.

also i think youre just being obtuse for the sake of it at this point. If you don’t agree with Monica’s decision to stay, that’s one thing, but that doesnt mean the ending doesn't work.

The burning farm is symbolic of the family’s crisis. Started by the grandma by accident, just like all their fights. And in that moment its all coming down, Jacob and Monica realize whats most important and save one another, like the promise they said they had given each other earlier in the film.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.