Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Miley Cyrus – “Malibu” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

Glad chorus put this up here. What a solid tune.

AelNire and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm a big fan of this song.

AelNire likes this.
  4. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah I'm glad she is returning to this sound. She has a great voice, and this style suits it more.

AelNire likes this.
  5. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

That was a really nice Free People commercial.

supernovagirl likes this.
  6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Spent the last few years exploiting black culture and artists and now that she's bored with that she's intent on winning middle America back over frolicking in white on the sand in front of waterfalls like sis be more transparent

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

She's really complicated for me because I know she's done some really problematic things - especially during the Bangerz era, but I also do believe she has a good heart, but she's clearly ignorant from the bubble of white privilege she grew up in, and then when people try to point it out she gets defensive instead of listening to their concerns. (I.e. her instagram post after she got called out about the billboard interview). I'm rooting for her, but she makes it hard sometimes.

supernovagirl likes this.
  8. Kiana

Her earlier stuff is some of my fave. Can't Be Tamed is one of my favorite albums and Breakout was helpful during a breakup even tho I was older than her target audience at that time lol. But she's def a hard person to be a fan of. She seems to have an identity crisis and every era is the "100% new but totally real" her.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

See and that's where I'm kind of weird because I love that part of her and it's never come off as completely fake to me. I'm like within a year of her age and I know I've definitely had radical changes in my personality, the things I'm in too, and the people I surround myself in those times, so the reinventing of herself always felt like it was genuinely her being who she was at the time. (Although it was definitely intentional of her to do crazy stuff to shed the Hannah Montana image, which I will argue she had no choice but to do if she ever wanted to be seen as something different; see: Justin Bieber). And with Dead Petz I can't see any purpose it served her unless it was really what she wanted to be doing.

But I also 100% understand how someone would not see it as genuine at all (and they may be right I have no way too know). And it definitely doesn't excuse her problematic behaviors either.

10. Kiana

It didn't bother me about her at first but it did with the Bangerz era. I think Party in the USA was actually transitioning her pretty well without the "I'm a grown up now!" Gimmicks but i can never blame child stars for feeling like they need to do that. She was forced to basically be Hannah at all times for the Disney image so I get it, but she def lost me during Bangerz lol. I still got a soft spot for her music cause I love her older stuff but I have a perpetual side eye now

11. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I listened to the song twice yesterday, and have not been able to stop singing it since. I even put on different music and was still singing Malibu. I'm a fan.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I bet a lot of our difference comes from you being a fan before Bangerz (I was in my "any music that isn't rock is wrong" stupid high schooler phase, so I never gave them a fair chance; I should probably go back and give some of that stuff a listen). The only post-Hannah Montana Miley I ever knew was the one starting with Bangerz.

13. shawnhyphenray

Regular

She strangely looks like Ronnie Radke here

14. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

One of the best covers, Boyce Avenue is really best creating his own rendition of popular music nowadays.