Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mike Herrera of MxPx (Encore Episode 158) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

As some of you may know, I started AbsolutePunk.net over 15 years ago as an MxPx and Blink-182 fan-page. Those were the first two bands I truly loved. They shaped my entire music taste and starting that website changed my life. I wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for those bands and those albums. Listening to “Doing Time” as a teenager gave me hope. Discovering pop-punk music and the community around it made me feel like I belonged to something special. Small, right outside of the mainstream, but undeniably special. The music was unlike anything I was listening to at the time and hit me right when I needed it most.

Last week MxPx released their new, self-titled, album. It’s their first album since 2012. Today, I’m excited to debut a new episode of Encore featuring lead singer Mike Herrera. This episode is a joint episode with Mike’s podcast, “The Mike Herrera Podcast,” which I also recommend subscribing to and checking out. In this episode we go deep on the new album. We talk about the recording process, the inspiration behind the songs, and then I walk through each song with Mike and get his thoughts on different aspects. I share some thoughts too, but mostly I was trying to get at what made this album feel so fresh, and yet so wholly MxPx, here in 2018.

We also recorded the FaceTime conversation we had doing this podcast and the video is available on the MxPx YouTube channel. I look ridiculous and my cat walks into the office to have lunch a few minutes in, but we thought being able to see each other and read and react to facial expressions would bring a fun vibe to this episode. I think it worked. This is one of my favorite episodes of the podcast I’ve ever done.

Show notes are below, the band’s new album is available on all streaming platforms, and physical copies are available at MxPx.com right now.

Hosts

Show Notes

Subscribe

You’ll always find this podcast at encore.fm.

You can subscribe to this podcast in Apple Podcasts, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

This podcast is sponsored in part by our listeners. If you listen and like what we’re doing, and want us to keep producing new episodes, please consider supporting us.

2. I adore the new album.

FTank and Jason Tate like this.
    paythetab and marceting like this.
  4. I just love the positivity that shines through Mike's lyrics.

I will listen to this podcast tomorrow!

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Same! And thanks! Hope you like it. I thought a lot of what Mike said about the inspiration of the album totally comes in his lyrics. Totally agree. It gives us a little hope here in 2018.

paythetab and popdisaster00 like this.
  6. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Congrats man I’m happy for you to be able to interview such an icon!

7. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

This is awesome - great idea adding the video element. Awesome interview!

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

Wow this is amazing.

9. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

I need to get this album, like yesterday. Sounds like a ton of positive word of mouth is surrounding this release. Very happy for MXPX and their fans!

10. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Every song is great, they don't all sound the same, and it's a blast the whole way through.

FTank and Butinsmallsteps like this.
  11. Fill Your Lungs Up

Newbie Supporter

Everything about this episode was great. How cool must it be for Mike Herrera to be your Dad

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

Watched this all the way through..loved it. Jason you must've listened to this record a lot for having so much insight just 1-2 days after release lol or did you get advanced copy?

13. Heh, yeah, I had it for a while. Thanks so much for listening!