Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midtown Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I posted an old photo of me running into them at Bamboozle Left 2005 on my IG story and they saw it... 20 year old me is freaking out over that right now. Wish it was a full return, or even some shows, but i'll take two new songs. Been spinning their discog all day after years without listening to them and still now every beat and word.

2. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

So good hearing a "new" song. need a/some shows now.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Interesting that both these new songs were recorded in 2011-2013, after their last album and around the time of Never Been In Love (actually a great song)

JRGComedy and Meghin like this.
  4. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

I still bop along to Never Been In Love. The video for this song just brought me back to all my 2007-08 feels, but I also remember seeing Cobra Starship in small clubs and not huge arenas. It's wild to think about.

irthesteve likes this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Only time I saw Cobra live was on Warped Tour in like 2007. That was cool.

6. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone else choose not get into Cobra Starship mostly because it wasn't Midtown? Dumb reason at the time, I know, but it's how I felt about them after Midtown stopped...and I've never really gave them much of a shot since then lol.

NJPunkMusic likes this.
  7. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I remember them getting a lot of hate on AP back in the day because of this reason. Lots of “bring Midtown back” comments.

8. Anthony_

I loved the first Cobra album, liked the second one fine, and then fell off entirely with the third one. I should go back and listen to the third and fourth one again with a present-day perspective I guess.

NJPunkMusic and Brent like this.
  9. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

Viva La Cobra and Where The City Sleeps are gold tier Cobra albums for me. Hot Mess was fine, but I could not get into their final one.

NJPunkMusic and Brent like this.
  10. irthesteve

Night Shades wasn't great, but "You Belong To Me" is one of their best songs, no question

JamesMichael likes this.
  11. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Give me some unreleased Midtown songs next. Only B side I know of that wasnt a cover song for Punk Goes was "Celebration" and thank song is incredible.

12. irthesteve

"Beautiful Life" is pretty terrible hah, but still cool of them to release it

13. irthesteve

aside from a few demos and acoustic versions, there wasn't a lot of extra songs that were unreleased. There's a cover of Your Love on Punk Goes 80s and a cover of Susanne on a Weezer tribute album

14. JamesMichael

Agreed, very underwhelming.

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Almost ordered the Hot Mess vinyl before I re-listened to it. If they repressed Viva La Cobra, that would be a different story.

Meghin and Patterns in Traffic like this.
  16. irthesteve

It feels like this is one of the bands where the ranking is pretty obvious, and each album got worse

WTCS,WRTS
    Viva
    Hot
    Night

Leftandleaving and Brent like this.
  17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

And each album has at least one quite problematic song hahaha

18. Patterns in Traffic Oct 29, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 29, 2021)
    I might prefer Viva to WTCS, but those are the top 2 for me by far

Leftandleaving and irthesteve like this.
  19. irthesteve

yeahhhh you are probably right, I haven't revisited in a while but now you make me wonder...

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It's Warmer In the Basement
    Prostitution (and maybe Paparazzi)
    S.c.a.n.d.a.l.o.u.s. (specifically the VIP Party Boys part lol)

21. irthesteve

oooh Gabe.... well, it's no excuse, but at least it's slightly different that this whole band was basically a joke band, but yeah... bad jokes

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. Anthony_

Ok Hot Mess actually slaps why didn’t I like this back in the day. So many jams.

23. irthesteve

Fold Your Hands Child is a highlight for me, yah there's some good stuff on that album

JRGComedy likes this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Each album has a song in that vein and those are some of the best. One Day, Robots Will Cry and The Kids Are Fucked Up are both solid

Allhailburnzy and irthesteve like this.
  25. JamesMichael

I just threw on the first album for the first time in years and damn it’s such a product of its time haha. Still my favourite from them.

irthesteve likes this.