Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midtown Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Mar 29, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

that video is SO mtv

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  2. Kuri44

Turning 15 Is The Best Revenge

3. WasEmoRocknowImjustold Apr 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2017)
    WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Man this is such a disturbing comment to me. Become What You Hate killed it in that pop-punk era, it's lasting power is debatable but it has some very strong tracks. Forget What You Know is one of the best albums from that entire time period. No question.

Just Rock and Roll is a great nostalgia song, but does nothing to compare to some songs on the next two albums.

I think Gabe just said he wanted to make happy music and was tired of the overall mood of Midtown/emo/sounding kind of stuff. Forget What You Know was such a dark album, I guess he had a hard time moving forward from that.

When they played their show in Asbury, NJ a few years back as a one time reunion thing Gabe looked out of place and a bit hollywood in fitting in as part of the band. The other guys looked like normal dudes having a great time. Great show and a great time nonetheless.

4. irthesteve

Brent and Kuri44 like this.
  5. MikeERayner

Trusted

So I'm listening to Living Well for the first time in forever and my ipod classic is currently dead so I'm listening via youtube and turns out the version I have is dodgy and that You Should Know has killer harmonies hahahaha classic limewire/kazaa version!

bradsonemanband and irthesteve like this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

irthesteve and bradsonemanband like this.
  7. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

great read. super bummed for the thread bump though lol.
    Midtown never got the respect they deserved. Especially with Forget What You Know. Such a leap into maturity and should have been a huge hit. So happy I got to see this band dozens of times and their three reunion shows. Would kill for one more lol

Brent, Whalejaw and bd007h like this.
  8. MikeERayner

Trusted

We only ever got one Aussie tour and that was supporting MxPx. But at least I got to see them.

9. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

A 15 year anniversary tour for Forget What You Know exists in my own personal fantasy version of 2019.

10. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

would be sweet, but I don't see it happening.

11. HueyLewis

Regular

Haha they released demo versions of “Get it Together” and “You Should Know” before the album dropped. I think they were both on a Millencolin/Midtown split.

12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

pretty sure there’s a version of become what you hate with vinnie from the movielife out there somewhere

13. irthesteve

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. MikeERayner

Trusted

Not sure when this happened but Save the Girl, and Living Well are now finally on Spotify. To say I was surprised when Become what you hate came on randomally is an understatement!

15. Kuri44

I think they’ve always been there. I’ve had Spotify since 2011 and have never seen them not there. But it’s possible they took them down for a bit without me noticing. They’ve done that with plenty of Artists. Are you located in US?

16. MikeERayner

Trusted

I'm in Australia. It's only ever been FWYK.

Kuri44 likes this.
  17. Kuri44

damnn that’s crazy. Well good! I’m happy y’all can finally steam those two classics

18. MikeERayner

Trusted

Same! The only real reason I've hung onto my iPod classic is for those two!

Kuri44 likes this.
  19. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Bring back Midtown!!!!!!

20. irthesteve

I guess we can blame Fall Out Boy for the end of Midtown

Decaydance Records: an oral history told by Pete Wentz, Travie McCoy, Gabe Saporta, Spencer Smith and more | The Forty-Five

Gabe Saporta [Cobra Starship]: In 2004, my band [Midtown] was signed to Crush, and so were Fall Out Boy. That was happening a little bit with Midtown and Fall Out Boy were coming up, and there was shit going around at that time that Midtown had an attitude, because we were getting into a lot of drama. It’s actually why we got dropped from our first deal and why Jonathan Daniel wanted to manage us. I remember when Pete came to see Armor For Sleep support us in Chicago, he said hi to them and didn’t say hi to us, and I was hurt by that. Still, whatever the beef, the last tour Midtown did was supporting Fall Out Boy in 2004 when they started blowing up. I remember the whole tour was fun, and I was like: ‘Dude, this is why I got into music in the first place.’ At the end of the tour the Fall Out Boy guys pranked us, and me and one other guy thought it was hilarious, but two other guys got pissed off. That was the beginning of the end for Midtown, but Fall Out Boy prevented me from getting jaded, and they reminded me of doing something because you love it. That was the foundation for Cobra Starship on a philosophical level.

21. Honestly, the first Cobra album was a lot of fun. I didn’t like the direction they went after that, though.

NJPunkMusic likes this.
  22. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Gabe in interviews I remember reading clearly had his eyes set past Midtown, but I'm sure there's more than just one answer to the question of why they ended. He has said he was just kind of tired of playing sad music. Wish he could have continued both though. Forget What You Know was a masterpiece that should have blown almost as big as TDAG and I really wish I got to hear what came next.

NJPunkMusic likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Rob was on a podcast recently talking about the band and had some different thoughts on things, so it’s probably a culmination of reasons adding up that made their decision to stop.

24. irthesteve

oh, it was for sure multiple things, I just thought it was funny to read that passage in the oral history article

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  25. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

I believe it was a lot of things. You had this band who got decently big with their debut album and follow up and playing good size rooms. But they begin to see bands after them blowing up the way they wanted to. Then comes the record label drama for FWYK. That album comes out and its basically silent with no reaction. That album was a step out of the pop punk direction and more mature musically and lyrically. Not so much an album to gather new fans. They poured their hearts and soul into that album and it basically flopped. How do you rebound from that. Being a big Midtown fan for two decades now I will fully argue with anyone that FWYK is by far their best album and never got the attention it deserved. They are so proud of that record and I don't blame them, it is a masterpiece. Someone above mentioned it was their TDAG album, and I full support that statement. Unfortunately it was not received like TDAG. Its a shame. I do hope they put together a show or two in the next few years. Those three reunion shows were something magical