Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 66

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

lol my girlfriend said she wanted to watch it because of Florence Pugh. I told her the director's previous film was so disturbing that I don't want to watch this one, but she was still interested so I gave in. I made sure to give her a little 'I told you so...' when it was over. Honestly, we've both been very off today.

Daniel likes this.
  2. lezbefriends

I get that I'm "supposed to" like this, but Florence's character literally kissed the long-haired dude, yet she has the gall to get revenge on her boyfriend for cheating.

3. It’s much more than just that lol

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, not like he sits around while she gets fed drugs and has her defenses completely broken down all while experiencing extreme PTSD. Like completely abandons her to a cult so that he can steal his friends thesis and get laid. And for no reason too, basically because she’s “too much” since her entire family was killed in one of the most horrific ways possible and he’s too much of a coward to end it.

All of this irrelevant anyway because Pelle comes up and kisses her after manipulating her the entire movie lol

DarkHotline, Lucas27, flask and 7 others like this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

What the hell did I just watch haha

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

A fantastic movie

7. flask

Trusted Supporter

This was the latest episode of Unspooled. Should probably give it a rewatch since I haven't watched it in a couple years.

8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I think it was fine. A little slow and boring, and not very scary because all of the characters had such weird reactions to everything. The Americans just shrugged off everything that would have been horrifying to a normal person. Very pretty visuals to watch though.

9. Night Channels

Trusted

10. Yeah compared to Hereditary it's not very scary at all. I like Midsommar a lot more, though.

Serenity Now and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The amount of "scary" was irrelevant to me

12. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

It's more "unsettling" which is actually scarier when you think about it. especially because it's a slow, seeping-in, kind of feeling.

13. OotyPa

fall away

Same conversation every time a horror outgrows its genre audience and breaks into the mainstream. People complain it’s not that scary, as if that’s the only thing a horror movie (or series) should be.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Idk it has the arguably most realistic depiction of someone falling to their death. Which scares the shit out of me. Also when she’s tripping on the hallucinogens after they first get there. She has a bad trip with her tragedy coming into focus. I don’t do drugs anymore but that was one of my worst fears lol. Tryna get a good trip and some real life tragic shit invading my thoughts making me dwell on it more.

OotyPa likes this.
  15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I don't think any movie or show has nailed the onset of boomers quite like this.

nl5011 and Serenity Now like this.
  16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Onset of boomers? Haven’t heard that one yet

OotyPa likes this.
  17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Why is this movie so decisive with horror fans? I’ve seen so many of them just shit on this movie, saying it’s overrated mainly but also that’s it’s boring or too artsy.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I guess some horror fans just want something more traditional and "scary" instead of something new and interesting. idk. I think it's one of the best ever made.

19. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Boomers is slang for mushrooms if you didn't know, ha.

Serenity Now likes this.
  20. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

My bandmates and I always quibble about traditional horror (slashers, monsters, exploitation) versus elevated horror (AKA anything A24). There’s pros and cons to both, I just find the former so comforting because I typically know what I’m gonna get.

21. flask

Trusted Supporter

Seen a few takes recently on twitter that are like "why do horror movies have to be about stuff like ~trauma~ these days? I just wanna see freaky dudes stabbing people."

Night Channels likes this.
  22. aka "prestige horror" as it's often called in the Horror Thread, although now that I think about it that term sounds very snobbish

23. mescalineeyes

ASHAMED (OF BEING BORN) Prestigious

this is such a stupid argument

24. I wasn't aware we were arguing. I like prestige horror, it's what got me into horror in general in the first place. I guess it's understandable that people who grew up watching traditional horror films would feel differently. I didn't start watching horror until fairly recently

25. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that term in the thread

Night Channels likes this.