Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 62

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

saw that one not too long ago. shame the remake is a pile of shit lol

radiodead likes this.
  2. radiodead

Trusted

Criterion has a great 70’s horror collection on streaming right now. I knocked out The Wicker Man, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Don’t Look Now last week.

never saw the Cage remake though. Heard really bad things lol.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

James Franco makes an appearance at the end of that movie and that’s always stuck with me.

radiodead likes this.
  4. Taketimeandfind Oct 28, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 28, 2020)
    Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Just saw this last night. Thought it was great. Beautifully shot and just the right kind of weird. I probably wouldn’t watch it again just because of the length but definitely glad I saw it. I do have a couple of “nitpicks” but nothing that ruined the movie or anything. I haven’t read through the entire thread yet and I know some of this has been brought up but....

the whole every 90 years and them doing this at 72 thing is a little messy. I know someone in the thread said they have the festival every year but not the whole dying part. But I’m sure someone turns 72 more frequently than every 90 years. What happens then? And if they do go through with the cliff diving then that means they also need the mating ritual to replace those two lives. Which means they need to bring in the outsiders etc, etc.

And then there’s the whole sacrifice part. We know that at least 4 of their own die with possibly a 5th being one of their own. It doesn’t seem like the largest community so I feel like they’d go extinct pretty quickly if they did do the ceremony more often than every 90 years.

Christian doesn’t seem like the type that would be in grad school. Probably the least believable part of the movie. Doesn’t seem to have the drive to make it that far.

And I just wanted to know more about what happens to Dani after. I kind of don’t see her staying but also don’t see them letting her leave. I thought the movie was going to go the other way with them forcing her to breed. But yeah I just don’t see how she stays or lives there

edit: and also wouldn’t these people’s family and friends be looking for them? I’m sure they told people they were going to Sweden

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

So!! The festival and fun happens every year. The old people off themselves when they turn 72, festival or no. The sacrifice part and the sacrificing of their own people is what only happens every 90 years, so once every generation and a half, meaning the community has gone to grow and bring in outsiders before the next sacrificial festival.

6. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

That meme just gets better and better

8. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

But wouldn’t every death at 72 require outsiders to provide babies or am I just thinking too hard about it?

9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

You might be thinking too hard about it, haha. BUT I think since we see them trying to get Maya pregnant like the minute she is able to, I would assume teenage pregnancy is quite common. That also might be why Ari made a point of making sure we hear babies crying all the time in the dorms, so that it’s just kind of background knowledge that there are a lot of kids.

10. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

A24 restocked the directors cut. I picked up the standard blu ray collector’s edition

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah I got the standard myself. Hell yeah

12. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Thought he said his next movie wasn’t going to be horror, but either way I’m not complaining and please let this happen.

14. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

He said it was going to be an "anxiety dark comedy" so this sounds like that could be what this is

jkauf likes this.
  15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Is it weird that I kinda want someone lesser known that Joaquin on board instead?

mescalineeyes likes this.
  16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yes.

17. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I mean doesn't he call Midsommar a break up movie? lol

18. Lucas27

Trusted

And Hereditary was initially just a dark family drama.

ghostedaway likes this.
  19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't think either of those descriptions are inaccurate

20. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Midsommar is definitely a break-up movie. There's no doubt about that.

21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Midsommar is a break up movie

22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

A classic college buddy roadtrip adventure

23. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

This one

24. Night Channels

Trusted

An anxious man (Joaquin Phoenix) learns of the death of his mother under mysterious circumstances and upon traveling home makes an alarming discovery about his past. During his journey, he runs into various crazy supernatural threats.

hell yes

25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

let’s go