Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 58

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Thanks. I am definitely interested in more about Josh and Christian. He was such a shitty person but he also seemed to be the friend in the group that all of the other characters revolve around and sorta cling to. At once both mind-boggling and unfortunately incredibly realistic.

There was a scene that explained the fact that they in-breed on purpose to produce oracles, but there were a few other times when it cut to the disfigured character and stayed there and I wasn't sure what the film was really getting at... It wasn't really something that needed more explanation at all, just something I didn't particularly understand very well.

Jacob likes this.
  2. Kuri44

Yeah you’ll enjoy the DC way more, since it really delves into the confrontation between Josh and Christian (and will make you hate Christian even more)

Brother Beck likes this.
  3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ari Aster could end up being one of the great filmmakers of this era, I think that’s
    Fully clear.

jkauf, chewbacca110, SpyKi and 2 others like this.
  4. Kuri44

I already tell people that Ari aster (and Robert Eggers, respectively) already are the best directors/filmmakers of our generation. Even if (hopefully not though) those end up being their best two movies each.

I’ve never had moviegoing experiences like I’ve had with their films. They’ve made amazing films that get better with each viewing, and I don’t think I could give any other filmmakers that kind of praise.

Especially with Hereditary, just an outstanding film

TJ Wells likes this.
  5. atlas

Trusted

Safdies belong there imo

coleslawed likes this.
  6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Hereditary is a top five horror film of the 2020’s, just a modern horror classic

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Midsommar was probably my favourite horror of the last decade if it counts. Hereditary was second, two of my all time favs.

8. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Can't forget Jordan Peele

Lucas27 likes this.
  9. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

FWIW Midsommar is on sale for $7.99 on iTunes (which includes the exclusive unrated directors cut)

10. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I really need something to watch that’s in the vein of this movie.

11. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

It has similarities to High School Musical
    54DC21BF-6EFA-4A54-AB27-EEBE24FF5F76.jpeg

TJ Wells, Dirty Sanchez, Joe and 16 others like this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away

Unfortunately I can't think of anything like it at the moment. It's super unique. Though, the original Suspiria also used bright vibrant colors to induce fear. I also just really love that movie.

EASheartsVinyl, SpyKi and xapplexpiex like this.
  13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I still like the fact that when promoting the movie last year, Ari said he always viewed the movie as a dark comedy

14. OotyPa

fall away

I feel like Gaspar Noe's Climax also touches on very similar themes. But looser plot-wise, more in-your-face.

SpyKi likes this.
  15. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Great rec. Inferno is great too.

DarkHotline likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ex Mahina

estebanwaseaten and coleslawed like this.
  17. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Yah I kinda thought about recommending Annihilation in terms of foreign feelings of fear but idk it's such a vastly different kind of movie so I think Ex Machina is safer

Serenity Now and irthesteve like this.
  18. flask

Trusted Supporter

Annihilation low key one of the best horror movies of the decade.

19. michael_gatto

Trusted

The OG wicker man has strong Midsommar vibes, or I guess Midsommar has strong OG wicker man vibes. But still

kyle, coleslawed, xapplexpiex and 3 others like this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, The Wicker Man is probably the ultimate answer since it drew so much from that. Quite a few Bergman movies would fit as well.

I also just found this article that I don’t remember seeing when the movie came out, and it gives some recommendations I wouldn’t necessarily have thought about in addition to the ones we’ve mentioned already.

Ari Aster Breaks Down 10 Movies that Inspired Midsommar | IndieWire

21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

There are only nine films on that list

22. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

still have PTSD from that scene with the beast

coleslawed and flask like this.
  23. drewinseries

Drew

I find a stark contrast between people who love the book, hate the movie, and love the movie, never read the book. I'm in the latter.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I’ve seen the movie and read the book and think the movie is better. Also the author of the book is a ding dong on twitter.

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

all I see is nature photos, cat posts, and book promotions. am I missing some deeper problematic stuff?