Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 51

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

You can dislike it all you want. I’m just perplexed how you can watch the movie and think that it just isn’t mainly about that, which is what you had said.

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

People can not like the movie, it's okay. Ari's films are the kind of horror films that I love but could really never blame anyone for disliking.

I do think it's interesting to talk about this difference of opinion, since it seems like a lot of us either saw the director's cut OR read the screenplay which strengthens the focus that @domotime2 found lacking. I think most of us were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for some thinner aspects because of the added material making up for it later or because of goodwill towards the film and its intentions. I don't know if it works as well if you go in without at least one of those.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I haven’t seen the DC nor read the script nor even know what the additional material is lol. Again, he isn’t talking about liking or disliking it, but is saying it simply isn’t the central theme of the movie. Whether you like it or not, that plainly just isn’t the case

I feel like I’ve put enough effort into explaining how yes it actually is. But if all he’s going to say back is “Well I disagree” then I guess we’ve hit the wall here

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I didn’t read the screenplay and missed the directors cut. The Dani/Christian stuff is super clear

5. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, it’s all over the entire film. She feels completely isolated because of a major trauma that she had no support during, and now she’s suddenly in a place where people tell her that she matters and they FEEL her pain personally. Her descent into the cult and their way of life doesn’t make any sense or work on any emotional level unless it’s clear how closed off she has been and how much her disdain for Christian has festered/how little he values her. It’s what the entire story is about from beginning to end.

7. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Is the Director’s Cut available for download anywhere? Or am I stuck with risking a low quality torrent?

8. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

depending on your definition of low quality, the torrent I have looks great (10GB @ 1080p), but other than that, the only legal way is iTunes Movies / Apple TV

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Not to continue dunking on someone who wasn't a fan, but I personally saw this in theaters w/out seeing the script & also got that it was about Dani & Christian more than the cult. Though I also did see some talk online about the film (which is what got me to see it, since I'm not an active horror fan), so I guess I was already primed to see it through a certain lens?

Though, in spite of the filmmaker's intent, I still personally see it less as a breakup film & more as a film about dependency. Pretty slight distinction that overlaps a lot, sure, lol. But as was discussed previously, I see the ending as a shifting of unhealthy dependencies, not as any sort of meaningful liberation or whatever, which influences my view of everything beforehand.

Anyways. Gotta rewatch it. Bought it on iTunes in spite of never usually doing that so I could watch the director's cut, but haven't had time to dedicate to it yet.

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Really, really hoping they'll make the director's cut available in some other way. This is a movie I super want to own on blu-ray but I'm hesitant to buy it until I'm 100% sure they will hold the director's cut for Apple only. That UK release got my hopes up.

EASheartsVinyl and SpookinCups like this.
  11. owenlongsworth Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2019)
    owenlongsworth

Regular

Well got waaaaay too high and watched this for the first time time last night.

That was a bad idea. Gave me some of The Holy Mountain vibes.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

“Put your disgusting dick away” might be the best line ever.

13. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Got real high, watched this again on my day off, and decided this movie is basically a fucked up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    I will be taking no questions about this theory at this time.

14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Ari’s “perverted Wizard of Oz” description is perfect as well.

15. xkaylinh Oct 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2019)
    So I'm watching the interviews in the featurette on the DVD and--I think I might have already known this already but--omg Chidi is the only main cast member who's actually got an American accent.

edit: another "No duh" moment: they built the village from the ground up.

edit2: omg the costumes were all handmade

edit3: hahaha "bear in a cage promo"

I popped it in just for the extras; probably still too soon for a round 3, but ugh I fucking love this movie.

16. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

it's never too soon i'm excited to see it a 6th time lol

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  17. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

i'm gonna go grab the blu ray after work

oncenowagain likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

It’s actually just a more adult version of troll 2

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

This changes everything.

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh my god Mark literally pissed on their hospitality.

21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

It all makes sense now doesn’t it

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  22. Finally picked this up
    57766A83-D43B-4953-AE6D-8A7EE47B422C.jpeg

23. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Watching this again goddamn is this movie great

Matt likes this.
  24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

So You Think You Can Dress Like a May Queen

interesting article on what went into creating the dress.

jkauf and coleslawed like this.
  25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’ve actually tried looking for suits or other normal clothes that have a similar pattern for a Halloween costume lol, but nothing I can find comes close to how vibrant the real dress is