Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 35

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

For me, the thesis stealing is what confirmed Christian’s shitty nature. Yes he was a prick, but up until that point it was only really to Dani. Is he just over his relationship and an asshole to her because doesn’t have the courage to just an end an unhappy partnership? Or is he truly a bad, selfish person? Once he piggybacked onto Josh’s thesis, we saw that he’d do it to any of his friends and it was not just unique to his relationship with Dani.

DarkHotline likes this.
  2. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I reject that binary, as if his treatment of Dani isn’t indicative of how he does or would treat others. If those scenes weren’t included I doubt anyone would have the takeaway of “Oh but he was probably an otherwise fine guy, it was just this one relationship situation that’s leading him towards shitty actions. Clearly he had other friends so there must be something about him that’s cool.”

But also, he doesn’t even *need* to be a truly bad, selfish person in general. His relationship to Dani was what mattered. Their dynamic was the driving force of the film.

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I mean, tons of guys make excuses exactly like that for their friends in real life. I think it’s an important part of the story that his friends didn’t give a shit at all that he was an asshole to his grieving girlfriend and didn’t start to care about his awfulness until it directly impacted them. Very typical of a group of men.

DrAlanGrant, coleslawed, Joe and 13 others like this.
  4. Kuri44

airik625 and Anthony_ like this.
  5. no more horror for me, only zonky nightmare comedies from here on out

coleslawed and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Even more excited for a comedy from him than I was for this movie

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

SlappinCups, coleslawed, mad and 2 others like this.
  8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

None of them aside from Pelle (which could’ve been him tricking her, idk) treated her with respect as well, they viewed her as a burden or a wet blanket who they begrudgingly took her along to Sweden.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's really a testament to how strong of an artistic voice that Aster has where people are already able to parody his specific style so well based on his relatively small body of work.

11. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

just watched The Strange Thing About The Johnsons. woah.

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeeaaaaahhhhhh.......

estebanwaseaten likes this.
  13. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

It's crazy to me that he was making waves back in 2011. It looks like this stirred up a bit of controversy? At first it was like, why didn't I ever hear about this? But then I realize that I never paid attention to any short films or artsy film festival buzz back then (still don't).

14. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

I agree 100% the relationship between the two is all that was needed for the purpose of the film. I’m just saying that in Christian’s very first scene, he’s saying he’s tired unhappy with the relationship. He’s a coward, immature, and thinks he’s helping Dani by just stringing her along. None of those are good qualities obviously, but not enough for me to call him a full blown shitty person. Once he starts alienating his friends as well is when I feel like it really shows his character is truly crappy. I think it’s unfair to judge someone purely off of a single relationship that is clearly in need of having ended months, if not years prior.

I agree with this for sure. The whole “bro before ho” mentality. Gotta stand by your boy no matter what. Toxic stuff that I didn’t even think about until you mentioned it.

DarkHotline likes this.
  15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I rewatched Hereditary again today in prep for an upcoming podcast episode. I’m really hoping Midsommar holds up on the rewatch the way that this does, because I think that was what truly solidified Ari as a talent for me. Gonna try and get to the theater for one more Midsommar this week or next.

16. Finally saw this on Sat and just finished catching up on the thread. I love this movie. I don't think I can articulate my thoughts in a way that hasn't already been expressed better here, but I haven't been left this awestruck and emotionally seized by a movie since last year's Annihilation.

I hope he does the "zonky nightmare comedy" movie next, because a "big, sickly domestic melodrama" might truly be too much.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Kuri44 and ghostedaway like this.
  19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That was quick. Villains also sounds like something I'd be into

20. tvck

Trusted

Joe likes this.
  21. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

mad likes this.
  22. Finally found the time to see this and it was incredible - the cinematography was breath taking

Can’t wait for the extended cut

23. Everything to do with the May queen festival was awesome and love how everything was just breathing

What a film

24. also the final musical number of the film "Fire Temple" is so fucking great - what an amazing juxtaposition between what's happening on screen and what's happening on the score - parts of it sounds like the uplifting interludes from M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Finally saw this yesterday. Will have more thoughts later, but I am very much looking forward to the director’s cut.