Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midsommar (Ari Aster, July 3, 2019) Movie • Page 30

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Dog with a Blog

I love that by the time the film ends the festivities still aren’t over. I’m very curious if that was it for all the fucked up shit or if there was more to come.

coleslawed and Anthony_ like this.
  2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I think you may be forgetting these people were drugged almost the entire time. We know they heard the screams, but at some point I’m sure they didn’t know what was real or not anymore.

3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i could be forgetting entirely, but does anyone know what happened to the girlfriend of the guy who got the butterfly torture thing done to him? last i remember seeing of them was their insisting to leave, i dont recall seeing them at the end of the ritual alive or otherwise

4. Dog with a Blog

We don’t know exactly but we know she go bye bye cause she’s one of the four sacrifices. I imagine those screams we hear after she says she’s gonna leave belong to her

5. Shrek

ah, dont remember the screams after. makes sense

6. Shrek

was she in the fire at the end or?

7. Dog with a Blog

I’m fairly certain yeah. She was the first one that I think they brought in on a wheelbarrow but she didn’t really look like her so it was hard to tell.

SlappinCups, coleslawed and Shrek like this.
  8. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I think one of my favorite things about this movie is that it basically told you exactly what was going to happen through paintings/tapestry/just telling yet it was still shocking

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ari said in the AMA yesterday that it’s worth wondering what comes next because the film does not cover nine days...

And yeah, there are tons of totally valid reasons to not be into this movie, and of course everyone can have a negative opinion without being forced to spell out why, but there were a lot of full on yikes parts of that take.

tvck and Anthony_ like this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

One of my favorite aspects, as well. A friend was upset because the movie was predictable and you knew how it was going to end. Yes, Ari made it well known what was going to happen but the anticipation and inevitability of it is what makes you full of dread when you watch.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  11. airik625

I actually went into it barely knowing anything. I watched the original trailer once or twice, but my wife and I both have expected Florence’s character to be the one who was ultimately sacrificed and would endure the worst tragedy.

Went into Hereditary the exact same way and I think that was part of what actually allowed me to enjoy those movies without knowing or expecting what was coming.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

I gotta say, for as much as I love this movie, I really didn’t find it to be all that disturbing or shocking. It was incredibly interesting but I didn’t leave the theater very unsettled or really unsettled at all. I just really enjoyed it.

13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I felt that way too but I liked that, it makes me want to see it again versus Hereditary, which I still have trouble rewatching it.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think the parts that will stick with me the longest are Dani’s family being discovered, the sounds Josh made after being hit combined with the long shot of Ulf (confirmed yesterday!) wearing Mark’s face, and the “love story” tapestry/everything involving that ritual. I was also really unsettled by the shots of Dani’s feet turning into grass even though I don’t think that was intended to be particularly gross. It was definitely much less disturbing or upsetting than Hereditary as a whole.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The scene where Christian eats and drinks Maja's...love spells...was definitely one of the most disturbing things in the movie. His drink literally the perfect amount darker than all the others for it to be noticeable but still subtle.

16. Shrek

this exactly. the most disturbing portions of this are all frontloaded, Dani's family tragedy and her reaction are what made me uneasy and they did that every well, but the rest was largely an easy watch with some exceptions. Hereditary lived in my brain for weeks. family tragedy really really gets to me, more than most other prevalent themes in media, and in Hereditary that cloud looms over the entire story from start to finish whereas in Midsommar its explicit in the beginning but then is only revisited sporadically as the focus shifts to Dani and Cristian's relationship. which was good but didn't hit me nearly as hard.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  17. Shrek

i do like Hereditary more in almost every regard, down to the theater experience.

18. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I think I like them both equally for very different reasons

This left me with a lot more to chew on thematically where Hereditary stuck with me as the more visceral experience

DarkHotline likes this.
  19. Kuri44

airik625 likes this.
  20. Shrek

i am guilty of going into this and wanting to be scared by it and that just didn't happen, but this is part of what i get for avoiding almost all trailers and details for like everything i see

trevorshmevor and Kuri44 like this.
  21. Kuri44

I wish I had that kind of restraint

22. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

already sold out.

i wasn’t able to get one (again)

Kuri44 likes this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah that sucks. I was thinking it would be more of an open run to gauge interest levels instead of another random super limited drop. Hope this one at least had one per person limits so they didn’t all go to bots again.

zigbigwig likes this.
  24. airik625

Damn I wanted one too.

zigbigwig likes this.
  25. Kuri44

Damnnnn, I didn’t even get a chance to click on the link yet :crylaugh:

zigbigwig likes this.