Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midnight Special Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Connor, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah, I feel TDKR is one people have come around to admitting is bad. I remember leaving the theater and saying "man, as a life long DC fanboy, this is pretty rough." My head is just now coming around to healing from getting it bit off lol.

2. Davjs

Trusted

Guys! I finished Take Shelter. It was pretty good. For my taste, I liked Midnight Special more. It was better paced and the way they kept introducing more information a little at a time was perfect.

With Take Shelter, it was a pretty straight forward story that became a little predicable. Anytime something crazy would happen I knew he'd just wake from a dream. The scene were he lost his job made me gasp though, his poor kid. The tension was really good in some scenes too. Overall it was good, I just liked Midnight more.

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That ending to Take Shelter gives me chills every time.

4. Davjs

Trusted

I took it as a bummer ending. He did all that work, burned all his bridges and then in the end he's away from his shelter when it starts. I assume death for the characters?

5. Morrissey

Trusted

That is if you choose to interpret the ending literally. Nichols said that was one of many possibilities but he was more interested in showing the understanding between the husband and wife.

Davjs likes this.
  6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I listened to a Q&A with Nichols several years ago, not too long after the movie came out (I forget the name of the podcast.) Somebody asked him about the ending, and his response (which he hoped wasn't a 'cop out') is that he sees it as the husband and wife finally being on the same page.

Whether the storm is real or just a metaphor for his mental illness, his wife finally gets what he's been talking about. Obviously not meant to be definitive, but I think it's a cool lenses to look at it through!

Of the many Academy Awards nominations Take Shelter was snubbed for that year, I definitely would've nominated it for Best Original Score and Best Original Song. Ben Nichol's song is sooooo fucking ominously beautiful!

EDIT: Ah! Morrisey beat me to it!

Davjs likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah, I get all that and it was nice to see them share that look that the movie ends on. It just would have been nice to see them use the shelter and have it all pay off. Was a really good watch though guys, thanks so much for the recommendation!