Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midnight Special Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Connor, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

He had never heard of Take Shelter and now says he is going to watch it based on the praise it has received in this thread. A happy ending for all involved.

Joel, dadbolt and Davjs like this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Right and nobody jumped down davjs' throat for maybe not considering how some people make films just for their own private edification, or for not knowing who Albert Serra or Lisandro Alonso are. When davjs has stated multiple that they aren't as knowledgeable about foreign/indie films as some of the other people here.

fenway89 and scottlechowicz like this.
  3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Could you turn down the arrogance and animosity here? Who are you to say what he does and doesn't have a grasp on? I'm sure you feel really superior knowing who Serra and Alonso are, but someone can love film, have just as valid an opinion as you, and only watch blockbusters. No need to talk down like that.

Also just to bring it back around, this all got started by Morrissey claiming that Nichols making Mud, Midnight Special and Loving is somehow comparable to Green making Pineapple Express and Your Highness.... which still was never explained how it made any sense.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Saying that all films are made to make money is obviously wrong, and it is offensive if you know anything about some of the sacrifices made.

5. Davjs

Trusted

Wouldn't that be the dream! I hate waiting years for them!

6. Morrissey

Trusted

When did I ever mention Pineapple Express or Your Highness?

7. Anthony_

I know that's wrong, and you know that's wrong, but not everybody in the world does know it's wrong. So, instead of being unhelpful and just trying to make someone feel stupid (EDIT: not saying you specifically did this, by the way), explain why that isn't the case and suggest some films to watch by someone like Serra or Alonso to illustrate your point. That way, everyone stays civil and someone who didn't know as much about world cinema gets to learn without having to get shit on in the process.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Top ten lists and reviews. That should clear it right up!

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Brandon was being pretty mild. It wasn't that dramatic. However, when you make a declarative statement like "all films are made to make money" that is wrong there is going to be some pushback.

Joel likes this.
  10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

So it's only necessary to jump at people speaking with authority when you don't agree with them? How is a statement like "all films are made for money" than anything I've said speaking with the same sense of authority? This is the second time in this thread the user has made some statement and then not even known of the existence of what I've used to refute the statement.

I don't feel better about myself for knowing these things but I feel it does put me in a position to speak more confidently when talking in broad terms.

The term "grasp" in this situation was not meant to insinuate stupidity, which I think is how many have taken it, but to express how I think a certain lack of understanding was present in the statement that was claimed.

Joel likes this.
  11. Anthony_

This isn't someone making a racial slur or insulting some other marginalized group or something like that. It's someone who has clearly demonstrated a willingness to learn but hasn't expressed themselves in the most informed way possible. So, educate. All I'm saying. I literally can't believe this is a contentious position to take.

fenway89 and scottlechowicz like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

I am sure Davjs can take it; he went on a rant a while back calling people trolls for not liking the latest superhero/Star Wars/action movie and everyone moved on fine. Almost all of the rudeness in movie discussion comes from people who exclusively watch mainstream films mocking and belittling cinephiles and independent cinema.

Joel likes this.
  13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Serious film lovers know that only a considerable majority of films are made for money.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

Ahaha I sure can. And it was because you defended Lady in the Water I think. I will say you guys come off a little film snobbish, but I also made blanket statements like "All film is made for money" which I guess is wrong. I should have said, "All films are made and they hope they make money" :-)

Ps. I never rant lol.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Anthony_

Look honestly I can't believe we're having this argument because I generally respect your taste in film and we'll probably wind up having many of the same films in our top tens of 2016. Whether that feeling is mutual or not, fine. I just don't like seeing people who are clearly so knowledgeable about what they're talking about not providing the potentially excellent, valuable help they could be to people who don't know as much, is all. Sorry for getting heated about this it's just a pet peeve of mine.

fenway89 and Davjs like this.
  16. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

This is ridiculous. If you want to not like Midnight Special or the direction Nichols has gone, fine! But cinephiles are allowed to still like Midnight Special a hell of a lot even though it's not as good as Take Shelter without it taking away from some imaginary "cinephile street cred"

Everyone agrees his early films are the best, but none of his recent movies are comparable to the steep steep decline of David Gordon Green like was stated earlier.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

Would it be controversial if I said that M. Night Shymalan has had a similar decline to David Gordon Green as well?

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

But no one really asked for help? You can look around. When people ask for recommendations I always jump on the opportunity. But that's not been the situation here so it's a weird thing to keep riding in.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

FWIW, I would rather watch Pineapple Express than Mud.

Joel and dadbolt like this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

lol yes because Midnight is his most recent and is amazing and M. Night went downhill after his 2nd movie and has two of the worst movies ever IMO.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

No. But I'd be mildly curious to see where you think M. Night's career began to decline.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

Who said cinephiles were not allowed to like Midnight Special?

Joel likes this.
  23. Davjs

Trusted

I guess my main fault in the statement I made earlier is that I assumed movies get made when a studio greenlights a film. I'd assume a movie gets greenlit because they think it'll turn a profit. I didn't think about the true indies who just do it by themselves.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

The Sitter is hilarious.

dadbolt likes this.
  25. Morrissey

Trusted

I have not seen After Earth, the Avatar movie, or anything recent, but everything I have heard has kept me away. Everything before that was good, though.