Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midnight Special Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Connor, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

I would say the ending "reveal"

that's what I was trying to say...I walked out of there and felt like it could have been better, but I'm not sure what.

jkauf likes this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I loved this. Maybe best movie of the year for me. Maybe best Jeff Nichols movie, although I also loved Mud.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Like I said in the country music thread, totally stoked you liked it! I was starting to think I was the only one who loved it! I think it's better than Mud but not quite as good as Take Shelter... But I love all his movies. Probably my favorite filmmaker now

4. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Dude, this SO hard! Take Shelter is truly one of the most criminally underseen movies of this decade, a modern classic.

Mud was a little underwhelming, and I kind of felt the same way about this one. Not that either of them are bad! I don't think Nichols could make a boring movie if he tried. Still looking forward to what he does next! (Loving, I believe it's called...)

fenway89 likes this.
  5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Enjoyed the hell out of this.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. Connor Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 7, 2016)
    Connor

Listened to the Empire podcast interview with Jeff Nichoks the other day. On the unanswered questions he said "Sometimes what the individual wants isn't what they need in the story". I loved that from him.

7. Saw this last night ($6 Tuesdays:ok:) and thought it was excellent. I didn't feel let down by the payoff, though I understand some people's complaints about the lack of answers. I just totally bought into the wonder and awe of it all. I feel like I may have missed some layers and other details to this and am interested in a re-watch once it gets a home video release.

Favorite scene might have been the sunrise sequence.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Question for those that have seen it: I just watched Take Shelter last night and I didn't love it but didn't hate it. Do you think I'd enjoy this film? I thought it looked kind of interesting from the trailer I saw.

9. Night Channels

Trusted

What didn't you like about Take Shelter?

10. Connor Apr 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 7, 2016)
    Connor

It's a little faster paced than Take Shelter but still more of a slow burn. If you have seen movies like Close Encounters of the Third Kind of Starman and liked those than you might like this.

This is my second favorite of his after Take Shelter

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

That's a good question haha. I guess I just didn't find it that interesting overall. Perhaps the slow burn leading up to the end just isn't the style for me. Not really sure.

12. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I loved this. I think the reveal was super cool and I like how the story concluded. At first while watching, I wished it would've ended sooner than it did, but the final scenes really sold me. I loved the tone, the brief light hearted moments, "I just got the title.", the acting, the score, the imagery, the quiet minimalism approach. It hit all the right spots.

fenway89 likes this.
  13. Connor Apr 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2016)
    Connor

Yeah I don't quite know what the people who were left Unsatisfied with the ending were wanting or expecting? The awe and wonder I felt during the finale was perfect. The acting was perfect straight across, as it would be expected from Nichols. One of my favorite parts was the gas station scene. It was just so intense and kind of out of nowhere.

14. Night Channels

Trusted

I loved this.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Night Channels

Trusted

The visuals of the southeast US from space were cool as hell.

The finale was beautiful all-around.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

Nichols is showing off a lot of the same filmmaking techniques he used so well in Take Shelter, but he confuses ambiguity with not giving the audience crucial information. The parents are reduced to bland archetypes, and the friend is the only one who gives us an idea of the transformative power of the child.

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I liked it a lot. It also made me realize what I was missing from Mud, his ambition. It's flawed and not near Take Shelter (though it has the most similarities with this) or Shotgun Stories in terms of genius, but it gives me more faith in his future than Mud.

gonz (Alex) and fenway89 like this.
  18. Pretty sure this got pulled from screens here after like a week. Or at least that's what it seemed like. Annoyed I didn't get a chance to see it in a theater.

fenway89 likes this.
  19. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

For whatever reason I never even heard about this, but its one of the spotlighted movies on iTunes. Trailer #1 has me super intrigued.

fenway89 likes this.
  20. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Terrific performances all around and it had an old school Spielbergian feel to it all, which I loved.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

watched this to fill the Stranger Things shaped hole in my life on Tuesday and it did the job. really enjoyed Adam Driver, too. totally didn't know he was in this and he was one of the highlights.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Just caught up with this. I definitely think it's flawed but I really like the chances Nichols takes as a result of his ambitions. All of the performances were great, particularly Driver and Shannon who are always excellent. Need to catch up with Take Shelter now, especially from all of the reactions in this thread.

23. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I miss u, Jeff Nichols circa Take Shelter.

24. Connor

Not a fan of anything else from him?

25. Morrissey

Trusted

It is very similar to how we lost David Gordon Green.