Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Midnight Special Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Connor, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

2016 sci fi film directed by Jeff Nichols (Mud, Take Shelter, Shotgun Stories). The movie stars Michael Shannon, Kirsten Funst and Joel Edgerton.

Are you excited for it? Have you seen it yet? What do you think of Nichols as a filmmaker? Discuss.

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Looking forward to it. Nichols made two of the best films of the 21st century with Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter. Mud was a dip in quality, but I'm eager to see this one, mostly because it looks like a big change for him.

3. Connor

Yeah I can't wait for it. I had no idea it was getting a limited release so when March 18th rolled around I was super dissapointed.

Agreed about Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter. I really liked Mud, the cinematography and music were both excellent. But I agree it isn't up with his previous 2. I can't wait to see this one, hopefully him and Shannon never stop working together.

4. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Hopefully seeing this tonight? I'm excited for it, going in blind so hoping to be pleasantly surprised

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Connor

Let us know what you think!!

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Take Shelter is one of my favorites, hope this opens in my city soon

fenway89 likes this.
  7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Think Canadian wide or semi wide is set for the 15th.

8. Connor

9. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I've read good things so far...

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Connor

Looks like I'll finally get to watch this tomorrow. Just bought my tickets. I've been waiting for this forever, I can't wait!

@Jakobindeed Did you end up seeing it?

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Is this worth a 64 mile drive?

fenway89 likes this.
  12. Connor

Good question? Have you seen Nichols' other films Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter and Mud? If you liked those, or like Mochael Shannon as an actor it might be worth it. I'm driving about 45 miles to see it, but then again, Jeff Nichols is one of my favorite filmmakers lately.

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing on Saturday, I think!

brandon_260 and fenway89 like this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter are incredible, but Mud was just good. I was planning on seeing the new Linklater film this weekend, but that was pulled from the local theater. I will likely hedge my bets on Midnight Special to see if it comes closer next week.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

From the reactions I've seen, unfortunately not.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

Hopefully he is not in a longterm downward spiral. Mud was fine but such a drop below what we had been used to.

17. Connor

I'm honestly not worried about it. The movie is a love letter to 80's films of Carpenter and Spielberg. Also a movie that cuts out all exposition as I've heard this is done is going to be divisive for certain people!

18. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

Said it in the other thread that it was okay, not awesome.

There are things in the end that were disappointing to me.

Need more people to see it so we can discuss!

fenway89 likes this.
  19. Connor

Seeing it tomorrow night, can't wait to discuss away!

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This is a big weekend for movies I want to see. Hoping this will be one of them.

21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not as good as Take Shelter, but still loved it nonetheless -- though I didn't like a certain element of the conclusion. Nichols definitely knows how to score and end a film, though.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. jkauf Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

What disappointed you?

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Connor

Just got done seeing it. I personally liked it slot, maybe loved it. It's too soon to tell. I loved that it felt like a 1980s John carpenter meets Spielberg film. The cinematography. Score editing and acting was all solid. I absolutely loved that it doesn't spoon feed you and treat you like you aren't smart enough. I'd say it's just as good as Mud personally, and not quite as good as Take Shelter

24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think I almost loved this? But I left the theater with so many questions that I feel like the film should've answered? It was compelling, and the visuals of the finale were quite beautiful... But it's missing something.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. Connor

I think the unanswered questions is one of the things I loved about it. It kind of leaves things up to you to fill in which can be good or bad how it's done. I loved that we are just dropped in the situation and there is no sudden exposition at any point telling us what's happening like would happen with..let say a Christopher Nolan film (whom I love, but let's face it..he loves his exposition)

One thing I loved is the the film could really have a few different meanings or purposes depending on what the viewer brings or projects on to it.