Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mid90s (Jonah Hill, October 19, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 30, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I need to see Skate Kitchen. Minding the Gap isn't really a skateboarding movie, as much as it is. It's infinitely better than this and one of my favorite, most challenging films of the year.

AWasteOfATime and riotspray like this.
  2. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I guess you could say that. It felt accurate to me in showing skate youth culture, both the Comradery Especially with characters constantly shouting homophobic shit. It certainly captured the youth run amok vibes of skateboarding in your teens.

3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

The problem I had with Mid90s was that there were no consequences for anything really. The kid takes a super hard fall, drinks, does drugs, has sex, etc. but in the end it's all good.

Plus they're just constantly using slurs which didn't really seem necessary.

jkauf, matthaber and OhTheWater like this.
  4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I mean did you forget how it ends? And yeah the slurs were a lot but it’s realistic for that time.

Night Channels likes this.
  5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I remember how the film ends, but Sunny is the only character that's really harmed in the car accident, and the movie ends with the assumption that even he will be fine given a little time.

Also, despite the fact that his new peer group, except for Ray, are basically all negative influences, his mom now sees them as "good guys" because they showed up to the hospital to support their friend.

And sure people, especially young people, used homophobic/racist terms during the mid-90s, but I felt like the movie went a little overboard with it. It wasn't really necessary to the story or in developing the characters, and honestly, despite the title of the film, this isn't really a period piece, it's a coming of age movie.

I dunno. I enjoyed watching this; just noticing some of its flaws.

imthesheriff and OhTheWater like this.
  6. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

fianlly watched this last night. Happy I didnt see it in themovies for $14, but red box for $2. It wasnt terrible, but not great. Soundtrack made it the best and time period. I like movies like this and The Wackness

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I finally watched this tonight and I fucking loved 99% of it, I just wish it ended a LITTLE better. Felt pretty abrupt, I would have added a couple more scenes for a bit more closure

Everything else was great though, the acting was really convincing, especially for a cast of mostly non-actors (as a longtime fan of Odd Future Na'kel really surprised me in this, he did a fantastic job), the music was great and I absolutely loved the way it was shot. Definitely think I'm going to pick up the Blu-Ray

I'm fully onboard with Jonah Hill the serious filmmaker

8. Zach

Trusted Supporter

This was good

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  9. On Amazon Prime Video now

kyle and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  10. Liked this a lot, don’t really have anything to add outside of what’s already been discussed but I really enjoyed this despite a few flaws

imthesheriff likes this.
  11. This was ok, nothing great.

12. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Thought this was remarkable, teared up when the mother walked into the hospital to see the gang passed out on the chairs.

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  13. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

If you liked this, please watch Minding the Gap

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This came out last October? Why do I have in my memory I saw this last summer? My mind must be slipping in my old age.

15. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

So many feels. Both are great watches.

16. imthegrimace

Yes to Minding the Gap.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Skate Kitchen too apparently

riotspray likes this.
  18. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Minding the Gap is the best of the 3 but Skate Kitchen is still worth checking out and seems to be mostly slept on.

19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This ended up being in my top 3 of 2018 I think

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  20. Watched Kids for the first time last night and it put me on the mood to watch this. I liked it/didn't love it first go around, but I was really into it this time. Definitely makes me ~feel~ the way I did growing up skating with older kids. The lack of explanation for Stevie's self-harm, and even the lack of consequences, don't particularly bug me, because I feel like I had enough close calls as a kid that A) sometimes kids just ~do~ things and B) sometimes you get insanely, extremely lucky, and you learn from it. If anything bothered me, it's the fact that someone who was presumably at least 18 was cool with molesting a 12-year-old. Otherwise, enjoyable and definitely less bleak than Kids (which I also enjoyed), but yeah, that part stuck out to me.

FrankieThe4th and imthesheriff like this.
  21. imthegrimace

I haven’t seen this since the theaters but want to do a rewatch soon.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

talk more about KIDS. I just watched it again for the first time in a few years. Butterscotch, yo

yocoxy likes this.
  23. I'm not sure I have much to say that others already haven't lol. It's a bleak cinematic achievement, impossible to look away, and in all honesty, I don't love the ending even though I feel like I "get" it. Maybe that will change on second watch. Feel-good, it ain't!

24. Morrissey

Trusted

You watch Kids, Dazed and Confused, Everybody Wants Some, and Spring Breakers at least once a month.

OhTheWater likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wish!