Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mid90s (Jonah Hill, October 19, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 30, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Of course young Jonah was obsessed with The Simpsons and wrote spec scripts

Contender, OotyPa and popdisaster00 like this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

Look at this dad and his children

coleslawed likes this.
  3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This is a great read. I'm really happy for Jonah

4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

New trailer

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was really solid and actually pretty funny at times

The Q&A with some of the younger main actors was cool too, even if they weren't that articulate (not that I or anyone else should've been expecting that from kids their age.) Only disappointing aspect was at the end when Sunny Suljic kinda shouted out XXXTentacion and several people in the theater groaned

primavera likes this.
  6. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i mean, that's not great and fuck xxx, but also, the kid is like literally 12 lol

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I didn't want to give him grief or anything

8. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

the score for this is dope.

anyone see this yet?

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Might actually catch this again this Monday, hope it's still as good. One issue I had with this in hindsight is that it was pretty heavy on the r-word and f-word at times. Yes, I say this with the understanding that the time period of the film is right there in the title

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Artists/entertainers usually get on my nerves when they get a more "serious" persona but I'm really enjoying all of Jonah's promotion for this. He seems really happy

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Still good a second time, not amazing just a solid directorial debut. Could've benefitted from some more subtleties imo

Also, this thread title should be fixed to "Mid90s" with no space in there

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, and uh, this has a better orange juice scene than Three Billboards! lol

riotspray likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

coleslawed and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I've spent the last week devouring all of Jonah's "PR" for this movie and I have to say, I honestly haven't felt this inspired in a long time. I am in love with the place that he is at right now and it has me even more excited to watch the film than I was before. If anyone hasn't listened to his interview on The Bill Simmons' Podcast I would highly recommend it. He also did an episode of the Big Picture on Channel 33 as well.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Boy, shows how forgettable that movie was, don’t even remember anything about that.

17. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Seeing this tonight at Lincoln Square, really looking forward to it.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m kind of afraid to see it in theaters because of this. I’m worried it will remind me too much of the toxic environment from when I was a kid who was super into skateboarding instead of the joy of our little neighborhood crew. Haven’t decided fully yet.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Looks like KIDS. I love KIDS. I'll see this

20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I didn’t think it was coming to a theater super close to me but today the cinemark near me had tickets on sale for Friday so I good to go. 6:40 Friday night.

21. FrankieThe4th Oct 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 25, 2018)
    FrankieThe4th

This was good, agree with what's been said here that it's not amazing but a great debut for writer/director. Definitely reminded me of KIDS.

For an 84 minute film I wouldn't have minded a little more closure or another sequence before or after what we got. There's a handful of turning points that didn't feel motivated. I did really enjoy it though, A24 continues to kill it. Mid90s definitely could have benefited from a little more subtlety at points as others have said, and I wanted a couple more scenes where Stevie's home life and friend life intersect. Maybe one more scene with his mother and brother apiece.

Really looking forward to whatever Jonah does next.

EDIT: Still thinking about this movie - it's really grown on me, I think the runtime just left me wanting more. I'm reminded of Linklater and maybe even City of God at points. And while I was watching it I had a really good time and really laughed. I was too harsh in the first version of this review, so I've cleaned it up and took out some spoilers. The film's funny, it's got heart, it mostly feels authentic, and it announces auteur Jonah Hill. Fuck yeah. A-

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Hopefully with less rape

23. PauLo

43% Burnt

Hadn't heard about this film until he was talking about it on an episode of Complex's Sneaker Shopping, but the passion and energy he showed when talking about it has got me very interested. Definitely gonna check it out.

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

Gonna see this tonight. I hope they have the zine too.

25. FrankieThe4th

A couple days later and I've fully come around, the movie's fucking great.

Aaron Mook likes this.