Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Microsoft Company

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Microsoft (Official Thread)

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone keeping up with the Microsoft HoloLens stuff? A new concept video was released with an idea for that and the NFL.

3. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Been following it a little. Pretty cool concept, but a ways off I think for any sort of consumer use. Would love to see where they go with it though.

Minecraft demo was nuts.

4. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

A friend of mine got approval for a Hololens unit from Microsoft to use for his senior design project so I'm interested to see what he does with it.

5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Yep I feel the same. Curious with what their goal is for this. Playstation VR will be coming out much sooner than this I imagine. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it in regards to consumer use. Figure when we get to another new console cycle we'll see 4K gaming, although, right now a lot of them still struggle to hit 1080p at 60 fps.

6. Dunno how I feel about VR at all. Here, strap this thing to your face. Call me paranoid, but I don't like the idea my peripheral vision cut off while looking at a screen.

7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Yep. The Hololens could be cool if it's done right, and affordable in the long run. Haha I picture those big holographic tables that could act as a 3D or virtual display for practical purposes, more so than gaming. When it comes to actual VR though like Oculus and Playstation VR, I'm just not sure about it yet. Would love to try a demo to give it a shot, but not sure if it's going to end up just being a fad that fades after a while.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

For me, VR as a whole doesn't much interest me. I love the idea of HoloLens integration into just daily life. Like weather reports, news and so forth displaying on the wall as I cook or something. But that's a ways off. Curious as to what direction it all goes over the next year or two.

9. Call me when Dejarik is a reality.
    [​IMG]

Eric Wilson likes this.
  10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha you know that's going to happen once Hololens takes off.. Will be amazing.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  11. I eagerly await letting the wookiee win.

12. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Well this could be cool...

13. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

oh
    my

i think that would be awesome. i have so many games that my friends have on ps4, and i have a xb1. so. this...really should work out. pls. haha.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  14. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I remember them talking about cross network stuff for a long time, awesome to see it's finally coming to fruition

Eric Wilson likes this.
  15. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Would be awesome if this could be done, and done well, especially for multi-platform games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, where my friends lists are split between the two consoles.

lightning13 likes this.
  16. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I remember a couple months back reading something about how they tested online play between Xbox and PC gamers and it was getting scrapped because PC gamers were dominating. The mouse and keyboard is just that much better on FPS which has the highest online play value.

17. The experience is so much more customizable on PC. Cross platform between PC and console is going to be tough to pull of in any genre.

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I agree. I just enjoy the feel of a controller better which is why I always gravetated towards console vs. PC gaming.

Honestly my video game playing days are more or less long gone.

19. Microsoft silences its new A.I. bot Tay, after Twitter users teach it racism [Updated]
    Microsoft’s newly launched A.I.-powered bot called Tay, which was responding to tweets and chats on GroupMe and Kik, has already been shut down due to concerns with its inability to recognize when it was making offensive or racist statements. Of course, the bot wasn’t coded to be racist, but it “learns” from those it interacts with. And naturally, given that this is the Internet, one of the first things online users taught Tay was how to be racist, and how to spout back ill-informed or inflammatory political opinions. [Update: Microsoft now says it’s “making adjustments” to Tay in light of this problem.]

Jacob Tender likes this.
  20. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

OMG That's terribly hilarious.

Welp! Just goes to show you that racism is learned behavior.

21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

this thread is so weird:

22. I was just reading this. Scary that in 24 hours an AI could go from "humans are cool" to sex-crazed nazi.

23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

ex. #651 why the internet is awful

24. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Why would they think that this was a good idea to begin with?

25. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like Microsoft may be gearing up to purchase Yahoo. Haha wonder what will happen to Bing then.