Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Michelle Branch

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JamesMichael, Jan 7, 2017.

1. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Her songs were everywhere (no pun intended) in the early 00's. She's always been one of my favourite female singers and I'm hoping there are a few fans on here. I know we have a thread already for her new album but I think she deserves a thread for the rest of her discography.

latortuga likes this.
  2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

New song "Best You Ever" streaming on COS.

3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

4. GEM37

She haunts the roads

"Tuesday Morning" and "Empty Handed" are two of the most underrated songs ever.

I am also of the opinion that "It's You" is breathtakingly beautiful.

nostalgicheathen likes this.
  5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Thoughts on the new album? Gave a shot a couple days, not much that stuck with me. Kinda sounds like Lana Del Rey but not as good.

Honestly though, I'm just excited that a new album ought to mean a new tour and I can finally see her live!

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Every time I think about the way labels torpedoed her career, it makes me furious.

Orla and Crisp X like this.
  7. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Breathe is legit one of my favorite songs. Hotel Paper is a solid album

cshadows2887 and JamesMichael like this.
  8. JamesMichael

Her last album didn’t have any staying power unfortunately. I was really hoping for a modern pop rock album going back to her roots.

Yeah it’s a shame the label did one on her as she could have been way bigger. Her first two albums are still really solid.

9. I recommend her unreleased albums then if you haven't heard them yet. I think it's all on youtube, but Everything Comes And Goes, with the missing songs, is a both a direct successor to Hotel Paper and The Wreckers.

The second scrapped album, West Coast Time, suffered from label interferences and it shows in the songs.

It's a shame the first one, at least, wasn't released in its original form because I feel like there's a piece missing in her musical journey, making the transition to Hopeless Romantic (which is still growing on me by the way) a bit jarring.

10. JamesMichael

I agree, Everything Comes And Goes was a solid EP which blended the early pop rock sound she had going on with The Wreckers country vibe. I've heard bits of West Coast Time over the years but I'm not 100% sure if I've heard everything. I'll have to give everything another listen.

I wonder if she has a new album planned at all?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I wish there was a complete version of Everything Comes and Goes. I want that in my life.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  12. JamesMichael likes this.
  13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Crisp X and JamesMichael like this.
  14. JamesMichael

Still hoping from a new album from her? Honestly I think she missed the mark with her comeback album unfortunately.

15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I haven't spent a ton of time with it but I actually really liked the most recent

ItsAndrew likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Ah that's pretty tempting! Only $10 too. May have to tune in.

JamesMichael likes this.
  18. JamesMichael Aug 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2021)
    JamesMichael

Nice! Definitely gonna watch that.

Also I really like that 20th anniversary version of You Get Me. Would love to hear more done. Heck I still want another album from her in that vein.

19. JamesMichael

20. bradsonemanband Aug 16, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2021)
    this is awesome! thanks for posting. "loud music" rules. i'll have to check out the full album, for sure.

Is she re-recording all of The Spirit Room? For some reason, I thought she was re-recording it all so she could have the masters to those songs again, but maybe I'm misremembering.

EDIT: Looks like I was partially right!

manoverboard365 and JamesMichael like this.
  21. JamesMichael

I still can’t believe it was shelved! Honestly it’s a really solid album with some huge songs on it, I’m sure it would have had an audience back then for it to have been successful enough for the label.

And that’s awesome, so stoked there’s more to come.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. manoverboard365

Trusted

I just hit play. Damn, Loud Music is great! How have I never heard this song? And how did I have no idea she had an entire album shelved haha

I hope she gets the rights back to this album so it gets a proper release. I'm also SO in for that 20th anniversary vinyl of The Spirit Room.

JamesMichael and bradsonemanband like this.
  23. manoverboard365

Trusted

Ok, Sunset Cigarette is an immediate favorite off this. Whole thing is great!

JamesMichael likes this.
  24. JamesMichael

It would be awesome for it to hit streaming officially. Songs have dripped out since the initial rumoured release of 2011 but this is the most complete I've heard of what could have been here.

Definitely a very solid effort and it fits right in there with The Spirit Room and Paper Hotel for me.

25. JamesMichael

Had Sunset Cigarette stuck in my head for days. That little riff is so infectious.

manoverboard365 likes this.